The Student Room Group

LSE AccOrgInst Vs Imperial Fin

Hello to everyone,I've been a "silent" reader for more than a year now,and found many answers helpful in this forum.

I am currently in a position where i have to pick between LSE MSc Accounting Organizations and Institutions and Imperial MSc Finance.
I will not bother counting the pros and cons since those have been written before (many times)
The only thing that I will ask is which one do you think i should choose having in mind that i want to focus on corporate finance because my dream job is M&A in a major financial centre (let's say London after graduation and then I'll see my options)

I've heard that Imperial is more quantitative (but not a lot in the MSc Finance) than other Masters ,which I don't mind but don't like either (since i would like to enhance my knowledge on accounting for example instead on focusing on trading). If that Master is preparing graduates for trading or fin eng i am not insterested.
On the other hand AccOrg and Inst belongs to the Accounting department but after extensive talks with lse alumni,i have the impression that lse lets you pick any elective you like even from other departments (as long as they are relevant,management,accounting,finance etc) in order to tailor your Master to your needs.

I am eager to read what you guys think
Reply 1
I had the same choice as you but I finally picked Imperial cose I dont find the course structure at LSE interesting. If you choose the ACCandOrg, you will be very limited in term of prospective jobs.
Imperial College Msc Finance prepares you efficiently to M&A through a good array of courses : Corporate finance, applied corporate finance, advanced corporate finance, M&A taught by a 3I's director, Banking industry
Bottom line : To be honest even if am litttle bit biased, Msc finance at Imperial is better than Msc AccOr&Ins at LSE because it opens you many doors whereas the latter one is suitable for someone who want to work in consulting or within the finance department of a comapny (I also spoke with some Lse alumni)
yes i would think imperial is better too.

A&f LSE vs mfin Imperial for me
Reply 3
I'd go with LSE. It has a special connection with the corporate Europe and many employers favor their graduates to Imperial's, in general. I agree with prospective Economist's statement. Program has little bearing on one's employment marketability at this level. School connections have. I'd go for LSE, in a heartbeat.
Reply 4
you are talking about 2 very different programs. MSF from Imperial gives you more options and great core and electives for M&A...and yes, is very quant. Imperial for me.
yep i am leaning towards firming imperial as well now, like 95% sure. The range of electives, quantitative modules is too much to pass up.

Staying in the UK i don't think people care what of the top 6 you come from.
Reply 6
Ty for your opinions guys!In terms of program structure Imperial is superior in my eyes.LSE is not even finance.Still my concern is that LSE is like an ivy in UK.Imperial is MIT.It's excellent but LSE is like Oxbridge in terms of brand name.The only question in my mind is whether this course will get me job interviews in IB.either the name of the uni will prevail or the course...
Reply 7
Imperial, just like LSE/Oxbridge/Warwick is a target UNI so you will def. get interviews (assuming you do well in the course obviously, which applies to any uni).
Reply 8
I was talking about LSE(if the course will be good enough to get me some interviews for IB).
Original post by Nkap
I was talking about LSE(if the course will be good enough to get me some interviews for IB).

If MA History graduates secure IBD roles, why wouldn't accounting graduates? Are you an international student?
Reply 10
I'd go for Imperial if I were you.
Reply 11
Original post by agolati
I'd go for Imperial if I were you.

Any reasons?

Yes I am an EU student
Reply 12
Original post by Nkap
Any reasons?

Yes I am an EU student

What career do you want to follow?
It's just that with the MSc Imp, you'd be exposed to more quantitative modules and it's a great launch pad for getting into a great job in finance. At this point, it doesn't matter that 'LSE' has a better brand name, if you cared so much about brand name you'd come to the US because I can think of a handful that are better than LSE, but at this point because both are so good anyway and very respected by employers, you're best off going for a degree that is less 'narrow'.
LSE grad student vs Imperial grad student = both highly respected students, let's go for the student with more quant and more breadth.
Reply 13
Original post by agolati
What career do you want to follow?
It's just that with the MSc Imp, you'd be exposed to more quantitative modules and it's a great launch pad for getting into a great job in finance. At this point, it doesn't matter that 'LSE' has a better brand name, if you cared so much about brand name you'd come to the US because I can think of a handful that are better than LSE, but at this point because both are so good anyway and very respected by employers, you're best off going for a degree that is less 'narrow'.
LSE grad student vs Imperial grad student = both highly respected students, let's go for the student with more quant and more breadth.

as I said in my first post i want to focus on corporate finance because my dream job is M&A but i've read and heard from alumni that imperial is the cradle of trading and structuring.I know maths are important but I don't want my whole MSc to be around maths,derivatives etc since my prospective job will need some accounting for instance...
Reply 14
Original post by Nkap
as I said in my first post i want to focus on corporate finance because my dream job is M&A but i've read and heard from alumni that imperial is the cradle of trading and structuring.I know maths are important but I don't want my whole MSc to be around maths,derivatives etc since my prospective job will need some accounting for instance...

have you met a few Imperial MSc F grads? I have. A few of them are reluctant to endorse the program as it is, according to them, uber cutthroat, and as a result, they were performing poorly academically. Of course, if you don't do well in your program, your CV won't look as much attractive too. A number of them had a hard time getting job offers. Only those who had finance-related work experiences have gotten job offers (within) 6 months from graduation.

The (moral) lesson here is that -- choose your program wisely. if you don't really like finance -- as a subject -- then don't get it. Master's level finance at Imperial is quite tough and some of their students have been complaining about the extreme rigor of the courses.
I have studied the syllabus a bit, i think it is very tough and it is one of the reasons i am choosing it. I will have gained Asset management, Corporate finance and portfolio//credit risk management experience by graduation. So hopefully fingers crossed thigns will work out for me.

Roxas what are you doing now?
Original post by Ineedaplace
I have studied the syllabus a bit, i think it is very tough and it is one of the reasons i am choosing it. I will have gained Asset management, Corporate finance and portfolio//credit risk management experience by graduation. So hopefully fingers crossed thigns will work out for me.

Roxas what are you doing now?

Where's your asset management experience come from m8?
a fund, i am currently working now, switched from CF -> Asset Management. I need to boost my CFA pass chance rate :smile: The fund is quite small though, less then a billion under management.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending