The Student Room Group

HELP! I can't revise properly!

Ok so everytime I go to revise, I get distracted or start daydreaming:confused::s-smilie:.... i feel like im failing my exams and everyone else will succeed.

Honestly, this is gonna sound really weird, but my dream is to be able to pick up a suitcase and get on a plane and fly to a different country whenever im fed up of life. But i can't do that if I dont have any money:eek:

(im a girl doing AS levels) :colone:I've already had exams in Jan and literally messed up on every single one... does this happen to you?!?! How many exams do you have

I do maths and sciences btw.

Whats the best way for you guys to revise?? especially for Biology, I literally open the textbook and then shut it.

Scroll to see replies

I normally find that I feel better, and more in control, the more I revise. Once you realise that you have some grasp over the materials, you will begin to feel a little more calm, and will then be able to revise more effectively.

The problem, I guess, is getting started in the first place. There's no trick, you just HAVE to make that first move. Download a past paper, and complete it. You can use your notes, books, and take as long as you need- but you need to get some practice of the exam questions. Then take it from there once you know what you need to revise.
Reply 2
Original post by Gemma :)!
I normally find that I feel better, and more in control, the more I revise. Once you realise that you have some grasp over the materials, you will begin to feel a little more calm, and will then be able to revise more effectively.

The problem, I guess, is getting started in the first place. There's no trick, you just HAVE to make that first move. Download a past paper, and complete it. You can use your notes, books, and take as long as you need- but you need to get some practice of the exam questions. Then take it from there once you know what you need to revise.

Ty:smile:, but do you think that 5 weeks is enough time to revise for 4 science exams and 2 maths exams and one other?:confused:
Reply 3
Original post by ilyking
take some initiative

ranting on TSR won't get you anywhere :smile:

Neither will attmepting to revise and then failing everyday, thats what happened for my previous exams. This time i want to change my habits and get good gradess! :colone::colone::colone::colone::cool::cool::wink::wink::wink::cool:
Reply 4
I feel exactly the same as you! I tried revising earlier and got distracted, and I don't feel motivated to do any either - even though I know these grades will help me get into uni! Definitely get off TSR though, it's such a distraction when you're trying to revise...in fact, just get off the computer altogether.
I feel exactly the same :frown:

Which biology exam board are you?
Reply 6
Small chunks at a time!
Go through your text book or notes and find the main points, summarise it and put it onto post it notes. I stuck mine around my mirror on my wardrobe on the tv and in kitchen cuboards on the fridge and microwave etc, read them everytime you see them - and it soon sinks in! Sounds silly but it worked for me. Different coloured post it notes and highlighters for diffent topics/ subjects.
Getting started isthe hardest bit, once you get started its so much easier, dont leave it too late. Good luck! x
Reply 7
Original post by Jellybeany
I feel exactly the same :frown:

Which biology exam board are you?

OCR. You?
Reply 8
Original post by LittleGee
Small chunks at a time!
Go through your text book or notes and find the main points, summarise it and put it onto post it notes. I stuck mine around my mirror on my wardrobe on the tv and in kitchen cuboards on the fridge and microwave etc, read them everytime you see them - and it soon sinks in! Sounds silly but it worked for me. Different coloured post it notes and highlighters for diffent topics/ subjects.
Getting started isthe hardest bit, once you get started its so much easier, dont leave it too late. Good luck! x

Thankss, yep ive started, just panicking cause I cannot fail this year, I already have enough issues and I dont think my family would like my backup plan for if i fail alevels
Reply 9
Original post by tarazzle
I feel exactly the same as you! I tried revising earlier and got distracted, and I don't feel motivated to do any either - even though I know these grades will help me get into uni! Definitely get off TSR though, it's such a distraction when you're trying to revise...in fact, just get off the computer altogether.

Yea, u tooo!! haha but im mostly panicking becuase i cannot fail this year, its not an option:s-smilie:!!! Good Luck! :smile:
Original post by sb123303
OCR. You?

OCR! It sucks. Im really not doing very well in it.
I got a U last year and an E in January :angry: Absolutely gutted.
Ty:smile:, but do you think that 5 weeks is enough time to revise for 4 science exams and 2 maths exams and one other?:confused:

is the other general studies/critical thinking by any chance?? im doing 2 science, 3 maths and 2 general studies.
Think positively, theres no point thinking i should have done more by now. get your head done and start working now.
Some tips i've been told/done myself

-make a timetable, but not with fixed times as if you miss one you'll become more stressed and worried, have headings like morning, afternoon, early evening and late evening. and dont forget to fit in revision around you everday activities.
-make a list with a summary on it for each module, and put a tick or cross/red orange green next to each bullet point depending how good you are. this way you have a better idea which bits to revise most.
-take short sessions if your easily distracted and have short breaks, and i mean short, within longer sessions.
-have a fixed time, like, i will do an hour of chemistry etc.
-get a calender or make your own and put a ring around the dates of the exams, this will put some pressure on you to work harder, but if this makes you so stressed you work worse, dont.
-dont spend so long on tsr procastanating like me :colondollar:

do you know what type of learner you are?

hope this helps
Reply 12
Original post by Jellybeany
OCR! It sucks. Im really not doing very well in it.
I got a U last year and an E in January :angry: Absolutely gutted.

Urgh Same!!! I got an E in Jan, was sooo shocked cause i thought it went alright, and now im predicted a D, even though I gt an E in my mock :frown:
doing science a2s atm
but revise a chapter, then do past questions, then take a break...seems to work for me
also delete fb, turn off your phone, and if you can turn off your internet (unless you reallt need it)
that helps:smile: i did it last summer, and got As and Bs, compared to my Bs and Cs in jan when i didn't do this :smile:
hope this helps!
im diong ocr bio, you doing the 60 minute exam on the 26th?
Reply 15
Original post by dream_merchant
is the other general studies/critical thinking by any chance?? im doing 2 science, 3 maths and 2 general studies.
Think positively, theres no point thinking i should have done more by now. get your head done and start working now.
Some tips i've been told/done myself

-make a timetable, but not with fixed times as if you miss one you'll become more stressed and worried, have headings like morning, afternoon, early evening and late evening. and dont forget to fit in revision around you everday activities.
-make a list with a summary on it for each module, and put a tick or cross/red orange green next to each bullet point depending how good you are. this way you have a better idea which bits to revise most.
-take short sessions if your easily distracted and have short breaks, and i mean short, within longer sessions.
-have a fixed time, like, i will do an hour of chemistry etc.
-get a calender or make your own and put a ring around the dates of the exams, this will put some pressure on you to work harder, but if this makes you so stressed you work worse, dont.
-dont spend so long on tsr procastanating like me :colondollar:

do you know what type of learner you are?

hope this helps

Thankyou , I have fixed times on my timetable which gets me down when i complete things in that time.... will definately try that... I dont know what type of learner I am, I remember i was a mix of two, i will find that out or myself too,.. thankssss for your help.

It is business studies AQA...
Reply 16
Yea, u tooo!! haha but im mostly panicking becuase i cannot fail this year, its not an option:s-smilie:!!! Good Luck! :smile:

Yes same, I don't want to fail and I know if I get on with revision I can do well...but I honestly cannot be bothered to do anything! I have no idea how to get out of this mindset. Thank you, and you!
Reply 17
Original post by niharika.jha
doing science a2s atm
but revise a chapter, then do past questions, then take a break...seems to work for me
also delete fb, turn off your phone, and if you can turn off your internet (unless you reallt need it)
that helps:smile: i did it last summer, and got As and Bs, compared to my Bs and Cs in jan when i didn't do this :smile:
hope this helps!

But do you get past questions specifically on that topic or just do a whole paper? Cause i cant do whole papers until i have actually learn everything :smile:
Reply 18
Thankss, yep ive started, just panicking cause I cannot fail this year, I already have enough issues and I dont think my family would like my backup plan for if i fail alevels

You will be fine, dont worry. I left my rev until really late, which wasnt a great idea, but I survived and my results were ok. Maybe talk to your teachers x
Reply 19
Original post by dream_merchant
im diong ocr bio, you doing the 60 minute exam on the 26th?

Yes, I have Maths C2 in the morning before it and Chem F322 the next day!! :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending