The Student Room Group

Retaking Y12 Students & Advice

I'm in my retake year 12 year and wanted to ask for advice of people who already been through what I've been through and hope to gather some inspiration/motivation. Last year I got UUE for biology, chemistry & maths and now I'm set on two Bs in Unit 1s of Biology & Chemistry. I worked really hard for these exams and aiming to get A's & B's, inbetween those would be fine :smile: Can anyone help me for the remaining exams I have left? Any advice or anything...

AQA BIOL2 - Variety Of Living Organisms
OCR CHEMISTRY F322 - Chains, Energy & Resources
C1, C2, M1 = Edexcel
Reply 1
Hi:smile:

I'm in year 12 and although I am not re-taking the year currently, I can offer some advice on your subjects:

Maths - Keep doing past papers as with practice you will get used to the types of questions and get better at answering them which will build up your confidence. There is no shortage of past papers for Edexcel, so I would suggest using some of the older papers (2002-2006) to extract questions on a topic of difficulty-then do them and hopefully you will improve. Nearer your exams, try and do timed past papers under exam conditions (use the newer ones 2007-2010). Maths is really just practice and by doing the past papers you will realise that all the questions are the same essentially, just with a different slant (esp true of C1) as they can only ask what's on the syllabus!

Chemistry and Biology - Again past papers are really important, but you must learn the material first! You could try revision websites which might be of some help. Also, make sure you learn definitions word for word (and specific to the board you're taking-so always learn out of your textbook or from solutions to past papers to make sure you get the marks).

Hope you find something useful from this...
Reply 2
Original post by hammer 24
Hi:smile:

I'm in year 12 and although I am not re-taking the year currently, I can offer some advice on your subjects:

Maths - Keep doing past papers as with practice you will get used to the types of questions and get better at answering them which will build up your confidence. There is no shortage of past papers for Edexcel, so I would suggest using some of the older papers (2002-2006) to extract questions on a topic of difficulty-then do them and hopefully you will improve. Nearer your exams, try and do timed past papers under exam conditions (use the newer ones 2007-2010). Maths is really just practice and by doing the past papers you will realise that all the questions are the same essentially, just with a different slant (esp true of C1) as they can only ask what's on the syllabus!

Chemistry and Biology - Again past papers are really important, but you must learn the material first! You could try revision websites which might be of some help. Also, make sure you learn definitions word for word (and specific to the board you're taking-so always learn out of your textbook or from solutions to past papers to make sure you get the marks).

Hope you find something useful from this...

I do Maths past papers all the time and I got so much better with practice. But I'm so scared for M1 as I don't really get some of the stuff and it's way too complicated :frown: I also do lots of biology and chemistry papers and stuff too but just need reassurance of what I can get :frown:
Reply 3
Yeah, I struggle with M1 too. I have found that it is harder doing M1 past papers as the answers are so long and hard to follow (especially inclined planes, friction and pulley problems).

I actually took my AS maths last year, but I didn't get proper teaching hours and was really unprepared for the exams. I remember asking my teacher if I could not sit the M1 paper on the day as I just didn't understand it. Did sit it in the end and obviously, didn't do very well.

This year though, i have found that if you look at small parts of the question (eg resolving components of forces horizontal and parallel to the plane) you can gradually build the question up. I found that once I understood the angles and how to resolve components of forces, everything started falling into place a bit more. Try to answer these questions in stages (they are nearly always the same stages) and build the question (to do this you need to have a well labelled diagram first!). I still don't get vectors, but am working on it.

Quick Reply

Latest