The Student Room Group

Will there be less applicants for 2012 entry??

Scroll to see replies

I couldn't be bothered to see if this point has already been made or not so i'm just going to say it anyway:

I think there'll be more applicants to medicine in 2012, purely because paying those fees they'll want to have a decent degree by the end of it. There's likely to be a surge in other highly academic subjects (Law, Economics, Maths, etc.)
Original post by bertstare
why would there be less places?

Because medical schools are reducing the amount of places they offer, not sure why, I think it's to do with some medical school graduates being unable to get F1 posts due to too many medicine graduates, but I'm not too sure.
Reply 22
Original post by John Locke
why? i would be..

because to get in medicine this days you have to throw just about everything you have into it, once you're that into it, hardly anything phases you since you know you're going to be able to pay it off anyway. But i suppose the question was if there'd be less applicant not whether a successful applicant would turn down an offer or such
Reply 23
Original post by Beska
"Reply hazy, try again later."

hmmm....try using both your balls, Gypsy Rose Beska.
Reply 24
Original post by dmz
because to get in medicine this days you have to throw just about everything you have into it, once you're that into it, hardly anything phases you since you know you're going to be able to pay it off anyway. But i suppose the question was if there'd be less applicant not whether a successful applicant would turn down an offer or such

i cant agree, i know too many fine possible applicants who arent interested anymore becos of the stupid fees these days.

theres better ways to spend your income and life.
Reply 25
Original post by Gizmo!
i cant agree, i know too many fine possible applicants who arent interested anymore becos of the stupid fees these days.

theres better ways to spend your income and life.

that's always been the case though seeing as medicine takes up a lot of your life anyway
Reply 26
i think yes, i think any economics students wil say that there will be less applicants, you could see it as a Supply and demand diagram

probs gonna get neg rep for this, pls dont

for med idk
Reply 27
For medicine, probably not as the financial rewards from a medicine degree are more of a "sure thing" (unless you do badly) than most other degrees. Plus there is NHS funding (for now).
For other degrees though, probably. There will most likely be a drop in the arts and humanties particularly. A lot of people I know have been deterred from applying since the tuition fee increase was announced. However I believe at the moment a lot of prospective 2012 applicants are unaware of how the new fee system will work and actually how little the will have to pay back each month. If colleges were to perhaps do a lecture on how it will work to give people the details they need to make an informed decision then numbers of applicants probably won't drop as much.

There probably will be more competition for Scottish unis unless the fees for English students go up to the same sort of level. Which is kind of rubbish since I wanted to go to Scotland before I even knew what the tuition fees were :frown:
Reply 28
Applicants will increase tenfold. If you were thinking of applying, I now advise you not to. You will not get a place.
Original post by SteveCrain
Applicants will increase tenfold. If you were thinking of applying, I now advise you not to. You will not get a place.

Yes. I CAN. YES. I CAN. :biggrin:
Reply 30
Original post by dmz
that's always been the case though seeing as medicine takes up a lot of your life anyway

i am talking about people who have lives, macca.
I start in September, but if I had to wait till next year with next years fees then there is no way I would be doing medicine. It simply wouldn't have been economically feasible.
It hasn't put me off at all...I may just be naive though (Not studying medicine)
I don't see how the current system makes medicine non feasible. Sure, we'll be paying fees for a long time but the pros of doing something like medicine far out weigh the cons financially...
Original post by Davidragon
I don't see how the current system makes medicine non feasible. Sure, we'll be paying fees for a long time but the pros of doing something like medicine far out weigh the cons financially...

People applying after doing degrees tend to be illegible for student finance, so have to pay it themselves at the time IIRC.
Reply 35
It's 'fewer', people! :facepalm2:
Original post by Beska

Original post by Beska
Give me a minute.

Let me get out my crystal ball...

Don't put it away just yet: I have a few questions for you :wink:
Reply 37
Maybe there might be more university bursaries/scholarships to help soften the blow of the fees rise? (I said "maybe" but probably not :tongue:)
Original post by Normandy114
People applying after doing degrees tend to be illegible for student finance, so have to pay it themselves at the time IIRC.

You are right about that, graduates will be put off... and from what I've heard the NHS aren't going to cover as much of the fees as they have in the past for graduates.

For undergraduates though, I don't see medicine getting significantly fewer applications. Things being the way they are, a lot of people seem to be thinking a lot more about the "job at the end" side of it, and with medicine being what it is I think that would make it a more attractive choice tbh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending