The Student Room Group

Is David Cameron right that mass immigration has damaged communities?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Bobsyourteapots
oh shut up. Everything he says bitches about labour. And I'm a politics student so i clearly understand it.

What an intelligent answer "everything he says bitches about Labour" You really have learned something in your politics degree havent you :rolleyes:
Reply 41
Original post by Dave Davidson
He is too right! There isnt even enough jobs for British people! It has caused nothing but problems.

aren't. Learn your native language if you are going to preach about integration.

I am sure this guy would pass the English language tests many immigrants have to clear to enter the country.
Original post by storna
Why, out of interest?

Because the Asian community created a lot of employment for Leicester when it first established itself, which was unlike other cities. The communities here got off on the right foot.
Reply 43
In my area it hasn’t because I live in a shocking white English community which I rather like :smile:

However, I think there are problems when:

1) the police are scared to enter certain estates
2) a teacher spends their time translating work
3) the Government spends millions on crime caused by the ethnic minorities (or not so minor now)
4) So many jobs go to them

and the list goes on and on................ and on.

Maybe the people who don't agree with this could give some reasons? :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
Because the Asian community created a lot of employment for Leicester when it first established itself, which was unlike other cities. The communities here got off on the right foot.

So it isn't what's described as a parallel community like Bradford, and so forth? I have never been so I wouldn't know.
yes, deffo true.....

I think its one of those awkward moments when he says something thats absolutly right, but is such a touchy subject that no-one really wants to aknowledge it....
To some extent. The UK should have been more controlling of who to give immigration permits to in the past. Immigration is good, fact. But not when you let illiterate pakistanis in, most of whom contribute nothing.
(edited 13 years ago)
The UK doesn't have too many immigrants. Some British people who complain that its too crowded should go to some places in India to see what the word 'crowded' REALLY means!
Original post by storna
So it isn't what's described as a parallel community like Bradford, and so forth? I have never been so I wouldn't know.

To an extent. There's more interaction than you might expect between the communities. However when you look at a census map the city is starkly divided along racial lines.
Reply 49
Where I live (Doncaster) we haven't really seen much immigration, tbh. Or atleast, nothing on the scale that means immigrants have separate communities or don't need to learn english etc.
I moved to the school in the centre of town, where the immigrants generally settle, and theres still not any sort of weird proportion of foreign children there or people who don't have a good grasp of english - I think the problem is maybe more to do with where asylum seekers are placed, ie. all in one place, or maybe just noone wants to live in Doncaster on accounts of how crap it is.
Having visited Bradford/Derby/etc I have to say the problem of separated communities does seem a bit bigger elsewhere than it does here and those places should be targeted to ensure a more even spread of people, perhaps it would encourage people to integrate a bit more?
Reply 50
Original post by bluebell100
The UK doesn't have too many immigrants. Some British people who complain that its too crowded should go to some places in India to see what the word 'crowded' REALLY means!

How can you even say that?
Original post by sandraleicester
Well im from leicester and at the moment we are on the verge of being in the minority, it is 50-50 at the moment. but think we are going to be the first city. but you know what there is no problem here, everyone here speaks english and if they cant them im sure they will learn after being here! fair enough if there is no housing or room in the country he should lower the numbers. But he is not being fair when he says that its ruining communities, im working class btw! making issues like this, causes trouble, he should shut his big fat mouth. We get on fine!

have you been to london....where it is easy to be able to live your entire life in the city and not have to speak a word of english if you live in certain parts...

there are parts where not only are white people almost a non-entity, but in which almost everything in that area is in a different language to english and most of the people don't even bother/can't speak it....
Original post by bluebell100

England is one of the most densely populated countries in the world. Our natural environment is under serious pressure. I don't give a frak about what's going on in India.
England is one of the most densely populated countries in the world. Our natural environment is under serious pressure. I don't give a frak about what's going on in India.

No it isn't :s-smilie:
Original post by liam1994
How can you even say that?

I just did.

Lol where did you hear that from?

Well maybe you should give a "frak" about what's going on in India so that you can educate yourself on what the word "crowded" REALLY means.
Original post by Cesar Lecat
No it isn't :s-smilie:

The UK as a whole is the 35th most densely populated sovereign state, and most of those above us are small island states. Only India, Japan, Israel, Belgium and the Netherlands are notable nations more densely populated than the UK. England on it's own is the most densely populated nation in the EU.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Scottish
What an intelligent answer "everything he says bitches about Labour" You really have learned something in your politics degree havent you :rolleyes:

It has nothing to do with intelligence. :confused:
The UK as a whole is the 35th most densely populated sovereign state, and most of those above us are small island states.

Er, if I'm not mistaken we're ranked 53rd. Countries like these are above us....

Singapore
Bangladesh
South Korea
Lebanon
Netherlands
Israel
India
Belgium
Japan
Original post by Cesar Lecat
Er, if I'm not mistaken we're ranked 53rd. Countries like these are above us....

Singapore
Bangladesh
South Korea
Lebanon
Netherlands
Israel
India
Belgium
Japan

Most of those above us are small dependencies (i.e. not countries) or small island nations.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending