The Student Room Group

Learning a 3000 word essay?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by christopherp42
Hi

I did my extended essay a couple of weeks ago now and to do well you just need to use your plan, really think about what is important you have in your plan that is in the 200 word limits. Also 3000 words is a long essay, do you really think you can re write that in 2 hours, a boy in my class had a 3100 word essay and it took him an extra hour to finish it

How did said boy get an extra hour during the exam?:confused:
Honestly? You don't have to learn it perfectly. Make a good plan, and it should all come to you when you're writing it. Also, if you think there's some details that don't have a place on your plan, just write them down on a separate piece of paper as soon as you go in, to stop you forgetting about them.
(edited 13 years ago)
You're allowed to take in a A4 sheet of notes with you though. So come up with wee rhymes and things to remind you. That's what I did. :smile:
Original post by scotland369
How did said boy get an extra hour during the exam?:confused:

The teacher gave him extra time to finish
Thanks for replies so far:smile:

Forgot to mention the question :"To what extent did failings of the Weimar Government influence the rise of Nazism in Germany?"

If anyone has any knowledge of this area then is this structure OK to you?

Intro

Weimar

"Despite importance of this...other important factors..."

Treaty of Versailles

Appeal of Fascism

Influence of Great Depression

The Political Deal
(Hindenburg, von Papen etc)

Conclusion

This brings back memories. I had to do a similar essay to this a long time ago.

I found the best way, was to make up your notes and then use them to try and write up the essay. You'll find out this way what parts of your notes are helpful and more importantly which are not. Keep practicing the parts that you are struggling with until you can write them up comfortably.

One point on the essay structure. I would structure your points after the Weimar's failings in order of importance so that your essay ends in a crescendo rather than a damp squib.

Also what about the failings of the communists, backing of the industrialists and the violence and intimidation of the brown shirts? It was also the nazis who pretty much perfected propaganda and the organisation of a political party.I would also say another important factor was Hitler himself. Despite what he was responsible for he was still one of the greatest political minds of all time. Although I suppose some of this would come under the appeal of facism.

Good luck. :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by lyrical_lie
You're allowed to take in a A4 sheet of notes with you though. So come up with wee rhymes and things to remind you. That's what I did. :smile:

I know this is unrelated but:

I noticed you're doing Law at Strathclyde and I'm thinking of applying there myself! What's the workload like for a Law Degree (me being a measly 5th year I know nothing about what to expect except for the useless prospectus)? Is it enjoyable? Sorry for this harassment but I couldn't resist!:redface:
I know this is unrelated but:

I noticed you're doing Law at Strathclyde and I'm thinking of applying there myself! What's the workload like for a Law Degree (me being a measly 5th year I know nothing about what to expect except for the useless prospectus)? Is it enjoyable? Sorry for this harassment but I couldn't resist!:redface:

Haha it's fine I welcome a chance to pass my knowledge :wink:

Well for strathclyde the work load is pretty light. You have three classes first semester, criminal, legal methods and law and society. The law and society lecturer is God, but he doesn't post any lecture slides which is a bit annoying. That class is all about things like different types of regimes and regulations and things. Legal methods is all about the courts and reading cases -very dull- but the exam for that is ok. And criminal is well...criminal lol. It's just a case of learning all the rules and cases.

Exams: 2 essays for law and society, an essay and an exam for criminal and for LM a MC exam and -the best way to put it- a legal close reading.

Class wise you have a tutorial per class once a fortnight. And 6 hours of lectures.

Semester 2 it's legal process, contract law and public law.

Legal process is all about what is happening in the legal world and alternative dispute resolution. And sucha. Contract law is similar to Criminal in that it's a lot of rules and cases and public law is rubbish -my opinion- but it's similar to law and society. And a lot of it is on politics and human rights.

Each class also has a tutorial every fortnight and 6 hours lectures, however first part of public law is all webcasts and second part of contract is all webcasts. There were points in the year where I'd have mon, wed and fri off. And I've had wed and fri off all year.

Contract and LP each have an essay and an exam to total your full mark. And Public has a multiple choice exam and also a take home exam which is 5, 1000 word essays.

I am really enjoying it yea, I should put in more work but I'm a bit lazy. I failed one essay but if I do well in my exam it'll bring my average up to a pass. I spent weeks on the one I failed and 2 days on the one which I passed well. And that happened twice clearly when I'm panicing I do better :p:.
Any other questions about law or strath mail me or quote me :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
sing each paragraph in the tune of a different song? think of how many lyrics you know off by heart.. probably a lot more than 3000 words worth.. You may feel like a massive dick doing this though
Reply 28
Original post by lyrical_lie
Haha it's fine I welcome a chance to pass my knowledge :wink:

Well for strathclyde the work load is pretty light. You have three classes first semester, criminal, legal methods and law and society. The law and society lecturer is God, but he doesn't post any lecture slides which is a bit annoying. That class is all about things like different types of regimes and regulations and things. Legal methods is all about the courts and reading cases -very dull- but the exam for that is ok. And criminal is well...criminal lol. It's just a case of learning all the rules and cases.

Exams: 2 essays for law and society, an essay and an exam for criminal and for LM a MC exam and -the best way to put it- a legal close reading.

Class wise you have a tutorial per class once a fortnight. And 6 hours of lectures.

Semester 2 it's legal process, contract law and public law.

Legal process is all about what is happening in the legal world and alternative dispute resolution. And sucha. Contract law is similar to Criminal in that it's a lot of rules and cases and public law is rubbish -my opinion- but it's similar to law and society. And a lot of it is on politics and human rights.

Each class also has a tutorial every fortnight and 6 hours lectures, however first part of public law is all webcasts and second part of contract is all webcasts. There were points in the year where I'd have mon, wed and fri off. And I've had wed and fri off all year.

Contract and LP each have an essay and an exam to total your full mark. And Public has a multiple choice exam and also a take home exam which is 5, 1000 word essays.

I am really enjoying it yea, I should put in more work but I'm a bit lazy. I failed one essay but if I do well in my exam it'll bring my average up to a pass. I spent weeks on the one I failed and 2 days on the one which I passed well. And that happened twice clearly when I'm panicing I do better :p:.
Any other questions about law or strath mail me or quote me :smile:

Thanks! Very useful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending