The Student Room Group

which HL IB subject is harder? Poll

Poll

Which one is harder? (for HL)

hey

so im interested in which subject, out of the sciences and maths in IB, that people generally find it more difficult. For me, it would be maths overall, and physics paper 2.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
Maths definitely. NO competition there!
Reply 2
Chemistry is pretty hard due to the sheer volume of stuff you have to remember. And some of that stuff is pretty difficult anyway!
Reply 3
Let's take a look at my marks for practise papers under exam conditions at the moment, after 4 months of revising maths, chemistry, and physics.

Chemistry: A solid 85% plus. Normally 39 or 40 out of 40 for paper 1, around 36-38 for paper 2A, 45-49 for paper 2B depending on the questions, and 42-45 on paper 3 depending on how strict the markscheme is.

Physics: Around 80% at worst. Again, 39/40 for paper 1, similar marks for paper 2A, a bit worse in 2B, a little better in paper 3.

Maths: Around 75% in paper 1, and around 75% in paper 2.

Yea.
No contest for Maths.
Physics is fairly straightforward if you learn it well.
Chemistry is getting tougher, though.

For me, it's probably Maths, Chem, Physics in order of difficulty.
Reply 5
Original post by Hypocrism
Let's take a look at my marks for practise papers under exam conditions at the moment, after 4 months of revising maths, chemistry, and physics.

Chemistry: A solid 85% plus. Normally 39 or 40 out of 40 for paper 1, around 36-38 for paper 2A, 45-49 for paper 2B depending on the questions, and 42-45 on paper 3 depending on how strict the markscheme is.

Physics: Around 80% at worst. Again, 39/40 for paper 1, similar marks for paper 2A, a bit worse in 2B, a little better in paper 3.

Maths: Around 75% in paper 1, and around 75% in paper 2.

Yea.

Do you want to do my exams for me? :tongue:

Oh wait...you haven't included Maths paper 3, don't worry about it then.
Reply 6
Original post by bluesky42
Do you want to do my exams for me? :tongue:

Oh wait...you haven't included Maths paper 3, don't worry about it then.

Actually paper 3 maths will save me. I'm running on 95-100% in sets, relations, and groups.
Reply 7
Actually paper 3 maths will save me. I'm running on 95-100% in sets, relations, and groups.

That's great for you. I'm doing series and differential equations. But then, I hadn't even started the topic until a month ago, so maybe I still have hope.
Reply 8
That's great for you. I'm doing series and differential equations. But then, I hadn't even started the topic until a month ago, so maybe I still have hope.

Ouch. We were advised that's one of the hardest options. I had a sniff at it and didn't even want to go there :s-smilie: We opted for the repetitive option instead :biggrin:
I'm guessing math because i can barely handle sl math !:redface:
Reply 10
Ouch. We were advised that's one of the hardest options. I had a sniff at it and didn't even want to go there :s-smilie: We opted for the repetitive option instead :biggrin:

Haha I know. We were originally going to do statistics because my teacher thought that was the easiest but I kicked up a fuss because I wanted to do something more interesting. :tongue:

My entire class hates me now. :emo:
Reply 11
Just finished the Discrete Math option. I'd say paper 3s are gonna help of us!
Reply 12
Haha I know. We were originally going to do statistics because my teacher thought that was the easiest but I kicked up a fuss because I wanted to do something more interesting. :tongue:

My entire class hates me now. :emo:

I did that in physics .. because of my physics nerdiness, we ended up doing relativity which is really difficult to get correct answers in.. the markscheme is very picky.

Our other one is astrophysics which is all memorization, and I don't like it. It's the only part of my IB which is about learning things :frown:
I did that in physics .. because of my physics nerdiness, we ended up doing relativity which is really difficult to get correct answers in.. the markscheme is very picky.
Our other one is astrophysics which is all memorization, and I don't like it. It's the only part of my IB which is about learning things :frown:

Completely disagree-- I did IB Physics HL last year and it was definitely one of the easiest things I did in all of physics, especially out of all the potential options. Relativity gives you ALL the equations you need, doing past papers and looking at the marking schemes really show you what you need to include in your answers (in fact, I recall the answers were fairly straightforward in terms of method-- the marking scheme is systematic and it makes plausible sense not to forget certain elements while answering, anyway). The questions are also predictable year to year. Simply memorize the option and you will do extremely well-- again, the Tsokos book= the best.
The Optics option was far more difficult, in my honest opinion...perhaps one of the toughest things in IB Physics.
Reply 14

Having complained all that, I did my first paper 3 today...and managed a decent 2/3 of it! So not too bad.

We were going to do medical physics lol but once again I kicked up a fuss to do particles. And because I'm a complete nerd I know most of it anyway from general geekiness so all I had to learn were how the detectors and accelerators work. I feel kind of bad for my Classics friend who's still trying to work out why baryons are not made up of leptons. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending