The Student Room Group

For all you anti gun hoplophobes on here

Scroll to see replies

Reply 820
Original post by Emaemmaemily
No it doesn't. As I've said, their murders happened in very different times, and by very different people. Their societies were nothing like ours. You can't justify allowing guns and causing SO many deaths just beause allowing them MAY have helped some of the Jews 65 years ago. It's ridiculous.

Sigh. You will never understand. You are the true definition of a hoplophobe. Like I said before. Gun control is Hitler's last legacy, and I and other freedom lovers wish to push it back to the authoritarian, totalitarian place from whence it came.
Reply 821
Original post by Hardballer
During WW2 jews were shipped from Jersey and Guernsey to be exterminated. Only a few but it just shows that genocide can happen anywhere.

Its either a few murders or its Genocide. It cant be both. A few murders isnt Genocide.

I wont even bother asking where you sourced that information.
Original post by Selkarn
Sigh. You will never understand. You are the true definition of a hoplophobe. Like I said before. Gun control is Hitler's last legacy, and I and other freedom lovers wish to push it back to the authoritarian, totalitarian place from whence it came.

I completely understand. You're making connections where there shouldn't be any. You think it's ok to scrafice thousands of lives a year, because there may be another holocaust... It's seriously not a fair trade off and makes no sense.

Stop puting labels on me and being like "ooo, I'm a freeeedom lover"...
I love freedom; I fight for it in protests, I am always arguing the point on forums LIKE this, and I'm a supporter of Marxism for goodness sake! I just believe the people on this country have more of a right to life and safety than you do to own a gun.

Oh yes... And I'm clearly not a hoplophobe, because I'm not scared of guns. Stop insulting me for christ's sake, can't you have a civilized debate?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by py0alb

Original post by py0alb
Have we not banned these stupid pro-gun trolls yet? :rolleyes: Its the same thing over and over:

Gun nut starts pro-gun thread full of poorly disguised propaganda.
Gun nut gets roundly thumped in ensuing argument.
Gun nut waits a week.
Gun nut starts another thread, hoping that the people who smashed him in the last debate are on holiday.
They're not, crushing defeat follows.

and so on ad infinitum.

Lol burn :mmm:
Reply 824
Original post by L-J-B
Its either a few murders or its Genocide. It cant be both. A few murders isnt Genocide.

I wont even bother asking where you sourced that information.

The book Aushwitz:the final solution. A few was metaphorical, much less than the rest of europe but still 100's I believe
Reply 825
I completely understand. You're making connections where there shouldn't be any. You think it's ok to scrafice thousands of lives a year, because there may be another holocaust... It's seriously not a fair trade off and makes no sense.

I'm sorry what part of "it would take 15,000 years at the current yearly gun death level in the US to come close to the amount of deaths as a result of genocide in the 20th centuary"

I think its a fair trade off personally, 150 million deaths as a result of being disarmed isn't fair in my opinion but each to their own.

Its not even the point, I would just like the freedom to walk into a shop and buy a gun I want and target shoot with it, sacrificing freedom for a false security has never worked and never will
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 826

Stop puting labels on me and being like "ooo, I'm a freeeedom lover"...
I love freedom; I fight for it in protests, I am always arguing the point on forums LIKE this, and I'm a supporter of Marxism for goodness sake! I just believe the people on this country have more of a right to life and safety than you do to own a gun.

Oh yes... And I'm clearly not a hoplophobe, because I'm not scared of guns. Stop insulting me for christ's sake, can't you have a civilized debate?

On one side of the gun debate, we have:

Adolf Hitler
Castro
Gaddafi
Stalin
Idi Amin
Mao Zedong
Pol Pot
Kim Jong-Il
Criminals
Emaemmaemily

On the other side, we have:

Gandhi
Orwell
Dalai Lama
Washington, Jefferson, Hamilton, Madison

:rolleyes:

If a 60 year old chap has a huge enthusiasm for handguns and wants a collection, he cannot
If a young immgrant to the country participated in e.g. handgun shooting for a sport back home, he cannot
If a young woman wants a handgun on her possession as she feels safer with it (even if that feeling is incorrect, it is what she feels), she cannot
If a person like me wants a handgun to shoot targets on private property and never to have it leave the private property, I cannot
If a survivalist wants a handgun for his survival kit - which is a highly recommended item to have amongst the survivalist community, s/he cannot
If a Muslim woman wants a handgun because her religion encourages holding weaponry, she cannot
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 827
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Mumbai_attacks

164 dead, 308 injured.. none of the poor souls could fire back and defend themselves. The bad guys will always have guns :frown:

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." -- Mahatma Gandhi (An Autobiography OR The story of my experiments with truth, by M.K. Gandhi, p.238)

Indeed Gandhi, indeed. Really great to see Hitler's last legacy living on and so many here defending it.
Original post by Selkarn
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Mumbai_attacks

164 dead, 308 injured.. none of the poor souls could fire back and defend themselves. The bad guys will always have guns :frown:

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." -- Mahatma Gandhi (An Autobiography OR The story of my experiments with truth, by M.K. Gandhi, p.238)

Indeed Gandhi, indeed. Really great to see Hitler's last legacy living on and so many here defending it.

Even if hand guns were legalized, do you think these people were likely to have one?

Most normal people don't have a personal want for a gun. Also the gun laws in India, where Mumbai is, allow hand guns for "self-defence" purposes if you can prove you have a threat to your life. So if these people wanted they probably could of had hand guns.

Hell if Napoleon had a hand gun he could of beaten Lord Nelson in the Battle of Trafalgar...no.

Everything you relate to this argument is becoming irrelevant, in fact everything you post is irrelevant. Not supporting your view is not Hitlers last legacy living on. Get a grip, as I said in my last post...Go grow a credible argument before you post again. Common sense would probably be helpful too.
Reply 829
Original post by doctorryan
Even if hand guns were legalized, do you think these people were likely to have one?

Most normal people don't have a personal want for a gun. Also the gun laws in India, where Mumbai is, allow hand guns for "self-defence" purposes if you can prove you have a threat to your life. So if these people wanted they probably could of had hand guns.

Hell if Napoleon had a hand gun he could of beaten Lord Nelson in the Battle of Trafalgar...no.

Everything you relate to this argument is becoming irrelevant, in fact everything you post is irrelevant. Not supporting your view is not Hitlers last legacy living on. Get a grip, as I said in my last post...Go grow a credible argument before you post again. Common sense would probably be helpful too.

India is well known for it's authoritarian gun laws. The terrorists knew they could simply waltz into one of the most populated cities in the entire world and simply start blasting. Nobody could shoot back. It's pretty much undeniable. You keep ranting on about irrelevant things, obviously just trying to hide the fact that your argument immediately crumbles when it's exposed for the Hitleresque stance that it is.

Original post by Selkarn
India is well known for it's authoritarian gun laws. The terrorists knew they could simply waltz into one of the most populated cities in the entire world and simply start blasting. Nobody could shoot back. It's pretty much undeniable. You keep ranting on about irrelevant things, obviously just trying to hide the fact that your argument immediately crumbles when it's exposed for the Hitleresque stance that it is.

Pro-gun guy: Give everyone hand guns, yeahh!!!

Sensible person: Yes but surely, as the data suggests, more people are killed if more people have hand guns?.

Pro-gun guy: I have no reasonable reply for this so I'm going to call all your ideas a backing for Hitleresque ideals, and as I have no real argument anyway I'll call you authoritarian for good measure too.

Pretty much the entirety of this thread...:biggrin:
Original post by GwrxVurfer
No.

You've given countless boxes with numbers written in them, a task that anyone could complete on OpenOffice.

I am rather alarmed by your hoplophobic attitude. Civilian gun ownership deters crime - This is a proven fact.

Let's just assume someone wants to kill you - Are they going to use a gun that they paid hundreds of pounds for, a gun that they will now have to make disappear permanently to prevent ballistics testing? Or will they buy a £2 knife from Tesco and achieve the exact the same thing?

Source please.
Reply 832
Original post by doctorryan
Pro-gun guy: Give everyone hand guns, yeahh!!!

Sensible person: Yes but surely, as the data suggests, more people are killed if more people have hand guns?.

Pro-gun guy: I have no reasonable reply for this so I'm going to call all your ideas a backing for Hitleresque ideals, and as I have no real argument anyway I'll call you authoritarian for good measure too.

Pretty much the entirety of this thread...:biggrin:

Go back to Hitler camp, authoritarian :smile:

No.

You've given countless boxes with numbers written in them, a task that anyone could complete on OpenOffice.

I am rather alarmed by your hoplophobic attitude. Civilian gun ownership deters crime - This is a proven fact.

Let's just assume someone wants to kill you - Are they going to use a gun that they paid hundreds of pounds for, a gun that they will now have to make disappear permanently to prevent ballistics testing? Or will they buy a £2 knife from Tesco and achieve the exact the same thing?

BANN ALL KNIVES!!111 WE MUST STRIP PEOPLE OF THEIR FREEDOM AND LIBERTIES BECAUSE I THINK IT WILL MAKE ME SAFER!111! /NAZI/NAZI :rolleyes:
Original post by Selkarn
If a 60 year old chap has a huge enthusiasm for handguns and wants a collection, he cannot

He can if its been de-activated.

If a young woman wants a handgun on her possession as she feels safer with it (even if that feeling is incorrect, it is what she feels), she cannot

The young woman should pack mace instead.

If a person like me wants a handgun to shoot targets on private property and never to have it leave the private property, I cannot

Shooting someone on your property would surely constitute using unreasonable force and you would be arrested.

If a survivalist wants a handgun for his survival kit - which is a highly recommended item to have amongst the survivalist community, s/he cannot

Because survivalists are very sensible people. The Branch Davidians were awesome.

If a Muslim woman wants a handgun because her religion encourages holding weaponry, she cannot

Should Muslim women also be allowed to kill homosexuals and magicians?
I can't believe you are all still arguing about this. It's good to have a healthy debate once in a while but this debate is not healthy. It's been repetitive, obnoxious and pointless for weeks now.

And I also can't believe Selkarn is still repeating himself.
Original post by WeekendOffender
I also can't believe Selkarn is still repeating himself.

I can. He probably thinks that multiple repetitions will change people's minds.

I'm leaving this thread now.
Original post by Selkarn
On one side of the gun debate, we have:

If a young immgrant to the country participated in e.g. handgun shooting for a sport back home, he cannot

You've said this before, and I've answered before. It's the same almost word for word, well done. Look back a few pages.

No.

I haven't given boxes, I've given firgures and links to back them up. Stop lieing!

Stop calling my a hoplophobe because it's beginning to grate on my nerves. I'm not scared of guns. I've shot them many times and lived in the USA! How about you just stick to answering my questions instead of name calling?

If someone wants to kill me and guns are allowed here, they will use a gun (most probably). Look at every other country that allows guns... Their high violent crime rates, their high deaths related to guns rates... They prove your argument COMPLETELY wrong!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 837
Original post by Tesphena

thats not a gun its a gun shaped lump of metal, and its an awful act of vandalism, destroying a perfectly functioning gun. How are you meant to observe and admire the eternal working parts and mechanics if they've all been welded up. Just no.
Reply 838
I've shot them many times and lived in the USA!

so did bill brady and and he's still a gun grabbing authoritarian. Plenty of other countries enjoy high gun ownership and low crime, switzerland, finland, cyprus, france, norway, austria. Just about every one of these countries have private handgun ownership and austria lets you buy shotguns without registration. I don't think any of these countries have an overall higher murder rate than us.
Reply 839
Original post by Tesphena

The young woman should pack mace instead.

Shooting someone on your property would surely constitute using unreasonable force and you would be arrested.

Because survivalists are very sensible people. The Branch Davidians were awesome.

Should Muslim women also be allowed to kill homosexuals and magicians?

Original post by WeekendOffender
I can't believe you are all still arguing about this. It's good to have a healthy debate once in a while but this debate is not healthy. It's been repetitive, obnoxious and pointless for weeks now.

And I also can't believe Selkarn is still repeating himself.

Original post by Good bloke
I can. He probably thinks that multiple repetitions will change people's minds.

I'm leaving this thread now.

You've said this before, and I've answered before. It's the same almost word for word, well done. Look back a few pages.

I haven't given boxes, I've given firgures and links to back them up. Stop lieing!

Stop calling my a hoplophobe because it's beginning to grate on my nerves. I'm not scared of guns. I've shot them many times and lived in the USA! How about you just stick to answering my questions instead of name calling?

If someone wants to kill me and guns are allowed here, they will use a gun (most probably). Look at every other country that allows guns... Their high violent crime rates, their high deaths related to guns rates... They prove your argument COMPLETELY wrong!

zzz pointless debate - hoplophobes are never going to allow gun owners a little more freedom. All in all it simply comes down to the individual's trade off between safety and utility/freedom. It's just a big sliding scale where fundamental differences of opinion cannot be reconciled. For example some people out there would propose..

1) allowing people to buy/use chemical weapons, they're dangerous but they provide utility to the owner/user/society
2) allowing people to buy/use explosives and handgrenades, they're dangerous but they provide utility to the owner/user
3) allowing people to buy/use machine guns, they're dangerous but they provide utility to the owner/user/society
4) allowing people to buy/use handguns, they're dangerous but they provide utility to the owner/user/society
5) allowing people to buy/use swords, they're dangerous but they provide utility to the owner/user/society
6) allowing people to buy/use kitchen knives, they're dangerous but they provide utility to the owner/user/society
7) allowing people to buy/use cars, they're dangerous but they provide utility to the owner/user/society
8) allowing people to buy/use buses and trains, they're dangerous but they provide utility to the owner/user/society
9) allowing people to buy/use plastic shopping bags, they're dangerous but they provide utility to the owner/user/society
10) allowing people to buy/use pens and pencils, they're dangerous but they provide utility to the owner/user/society

You could go on forever, for an infinite amount of objects.. some things are obviously far more dangerous than the utility/usefulness they provide, whilst some things are obviously of huge usefulness, even if in very very rare cases they can be dangerous.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending