The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8620
Original post by warwickorbristol
As an outsider I don't think you're far off the league, you'll never win the CL with the current squad because they can't defend but the league is attainable. An experienced leader would be a useful addition, if only to help see out games you're comfortably winning. What really lost the league for you was the freak home results like Newcastle and West Brom.

Remember how dangerous your front line was at certain points in the season. There's hope.

CL is much easier to win than the league.
Original post by BlackVenom321
I feel the same thing, I also can't visualise how adding some new player will improve the situation here. I can always imagine them ****ing it up last min. I reckon nurturing the young talent is a good idea, Walcott, Ramsey, Vela, Wilshere, Simpson? but I think we're in a desperate position. it's not like our current squad is crap, we have on of the best squads in the league

Sure we already sold him.
who won?
Reply 8623
Original post by MoMatrix

no its not lol.

how many CL have we got and how many Prem?

same could be said about Man u, and every other big team in europe.

it may seem like it is easier, but its not.
Reply 8624
Original post by Ano1
no its not lol.

how many CL have we got and how many Prem?

same could be said about Man u, and every other big team in europe.

it may seem like it is easier, but its not.

CL is a knockout competition teams like Porto have won and Schalke are in the semi-final this year whilst 9th in the Bundesliga.The league most consistent team wins after 38 games much more difficult.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8625
Its getting beyond a joke now :'( I though this year we really stood a chance :/ clearly not....and wenger seems to just blame others for his and the teams mistakes...he needs to make changes instead of making excuses
Reply 8626
CL is a knockout competition teams like Porto have won and Schalke are in the semi-final this year whilst 9th in the Bundesliga.The league most consistent team wins after 38 games much more difficult.

that Porto team was quality

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090223065716AAjteLX

il agree to disagree with you.
Reply 8627
I have a sweet tooth.
I can see why Wenger has stuck with Bendtner, he has got pretty good movement, show by the fact he is in the right place to **** things up so often.
Sunderland 1-1 Arsenal
Arsenal 2-3 Tottenham
Wigan 2-2 Arsenal
Newcastle 4-4 Arsenal
Arsenal 1-1 Liverpool
Tottenham 3-3 Arsenal

All games we've thrown away a lead late on. 2x2 goal leads and a 4 goal lead. That is 13 points, which would put us 7 ahead of United. We really need to sort out the mental strength of the players
Or a complete overhaul of the defence.. :facepalm2:
Reply 8631
Expected a draw tonight so not gutted or anything and glad with the spirit shown by the players they looked like they actually gave a **** unlike most of our recent games. Cesc was amazing tonight as well. Throwing away a 2 goal lead is still pretty annoying though RVP was onside for that disallowed goal, least we dont have to worry about 5th now I guess because I was honestly beggining to get concerned and if we lost tonight it could be a total collapse which, considering we cant win as it is could have spelt disaster for the last 5 games, not gonna speculate on changes for next season because who knows what will happen and financial fair play is coming in but the sooner the myth of our title challenge is ended once and for all the better because we are just hanging around in 2nd waiting to be put out our misery
The defence are not responsible for our defensive problems. It's the likes of Cesc/Diaby/etc fanny around with the ball, when they should be booting it clear. We also fail to regroup as a unit when we don't have the ball. Koscielny, Djourou and Sagna have been fine all season.

How many times have we won the league? And how many times have we won the CL?

Then answer those same questions for Barcelona/Madrid/United/Chelsea.
Reply 8634
Original post by T.Adams VI
The defence are not responsible for our defensive problems. It's the likes of Cesc/Diaby/etc fanny around with the ball, when they should be booting it clear. We also fail to regroup as a unit when we don't have the ball. Koscielny, Djourou and Sagna have been fine all season.

Does Kos not strike you an accident waiting to happen every game? He is a bastard for a red card or conceding a penalty or just a mistake and often at the worst possible time, its his first season to be fair and he has had some great games (although against barca 1st leg when he took out pedro should have been a pen) but I never really feel confident when he is having to defend
Reply 8635
Original post by T.Adams VI
How many times have we won the league? And how many times have we won the CL?

Then answer those same questions for Barcelona/Madrid/United/Chelsea.

CL is a knockout competition and the best team doesn't necessarily win it.Chelsea were better than Man Utd in 2008 and Barca in 2009 and still have not won it.The league table doesn't lie everyone is where they deserve to be.
Reply 8636
JK.
OP
CL is a knockout competition and the best team doesn't necessarily win it.Chelsea were better than Man Utd in 2008 and Barca in 2009 and still have not won it.The league table doesn't lie everyone is where they deserve to be.

That's why the FA cup is easier to win than the league, not why the CL is.
Reply 8637
Original post by JK.
That's why the FA cup is easier to win than the league, not why the CL is.

CL head to head games when it gets to the latter stages the games are 50/50 e.g Real vs Barca.Real are not more consistent than Barca as results have shown this season but can win head to head games over them e.g Copa del Rey tonight. The league Barcelona are ahead as they are the most consistent team over 38 games this is harder to win than a knockout competition.Luck is required in cup competitions remember Greece won Euro 2004.
(edited 13 years ago)
The group stage of the CL has a clear effect on the KO one; ie, if Arsenal won their group they wouldn't have had to played Barca so soon.....
I agree that you need an ounce of luck (like a decision going your way in one or two of the matches that really influences the outcome) to win the CL but you also need to help yourself - like making sure you qualify first from your group so you don't meet a 'big' team early. It is very difficult though, in the KO stages every team has enough quality to cause the other team problems. More importantly, you need a good draw in for the QFs and SFs if you're relying on a bit of luck.

Original post by MrEboueEmmanuel
Sunderland 1-1 Arsenal
Arsenal 2-3 Tottenham
Wigan 2-2 Arsenal
Newcastle 4-4 Arsenal
Arsenal 1-1 Liverpool
Tottenham 3-3 Arsenal

All games we've thrown away a lead late on. 2x2 goal leads and a 4 goal lead. That is 13 points, which would put us 7 ahead of United. We really need to sort out the mental strength of the players

Fulham 2-2 Man Utd
Everton 3-3 Man Utd
Man Utd 2-2 West Brom
Birmingham 1-1 Man Utd

Just some of the games we've thrown away leads, off the top of my ahead. So if we're using that logic you wouldn't really be ahead!

Latest