The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Comparing Bentdner to other "big men" at his age;
- Drogba was 23 he was just ending his spell at Guingamp scoring 17 goals in 34 games, christ just two years earlier he was playing in their second division
- Ibrahimovic only scoring 16 goals in 45 games for Juventus and only really started because Trezeguet was injured.
- Diego Milito was just finishing a spell at Racing scoring 21 goals in 129 games
- Trezeguet only managed 15 goals in 32 games for Juventus
- Christian Vieri only manged 14 goals in 38 games for Juventus

I have a little theory about how players like Owen and Messi will always have been fast little bastards; when they break into first team football they know the role inside out because they've played it since they were a kid. I would wager a lot of the "big men" only come into physical maturity at about age 17-18, they're so far behind the pace merchants in terms of experience. Of course there are the odd few who've always been huge like Lukaku but I've also noticed their development tends to drop off. This in part explains the fall of the big man; as football needs results faster and players tend to stick around less clubs no longer have the patience with these kind of players. I'm starting to digress a bit; the point is Bentdner needs more time - there's no guarantee he'll succeed but there's still a chance he'll make it as a world class striker.
Reply 8961
seventh successive Premier League away game that RVP has found the net - a new record.
Reply 8962
Why cant we shoot stop taking so many touches and shoot!
Original post by warwickorbristol
- Drogba was 23 he was just ending his spell at Guingamp scoring 17 goals in 34 games, christ just two years earlier he was playing in their second division
- Ibrahimovic only scoring 16 goals in 45 games for Juventus and only really started because Trezeguet was injured.
- Diego Milito was just finishing a spell at Racing scoring 21 goals in 129 games

I have a little theory about how players like Owen and Messi will always have been fast little bastards; when they break into first team football they know the role inside out because they've played it since they were a kid. I would wager a lot of the "big men" only come into physical maturity at about age 17-18, they're so far behind the pace merchants in terms of experience. Of course there are the odd few who've always been huge like Lukaku but I've also noticed their development tends to drop off. This in part explains the fall of the big man; as football needs results faster and players tend to stick around less clubs no longer have the patience with these kind of players. I'm starting to digress a bit; the point is Bentdner needs more time - there's no guarantee he'll succeed but there's still a chance he'll make it as a world class striker.

If he's got to 23 and you still don't rate him, I doubt he'll end up world class. Maybe he'll end up half-decent
Original post by warwickorbristol

being big doesn't mean you can't be pacey.

Daniel Sturridge is 6'3 and he is one of the paciest strikers in the prem
You boy had better smarten this place up ready for the "Wenger out!" brigade if Arsenal don't find something in the next 10.
Reply 8966
Original post by doggyfizzel
You boy had better smarten this place up ready for the "Wenger out!" brigade if Arsenal don't find something in the next 10.

A lot of arsenal fans have wanted him out for a while.
Reply 8967
pathetic...sick of this team
Save it Wenger. THrowing the bottle won't do much good.
Sometimes (most of the time) it's so frustrating being an Arsenal fan...maybe we could sign sergio ramos; he certainly knows how to throw cups away :|
Reply 8970
What an epic crumble this season has been. Manager tries to sell second place as success and we can't even make that :facepalm:
I've been an Arsenal fan for so long but this season the team have almost completely put me off football all together. Utter joke, especially considering the prices of tickets at the Emirates. 6 long years now. Birmingham and Stoke/City have won trophies more recently than us.
WOW...just WOW. And I thought we couldn't top a row of draws. The life of an Arsenal fan continues...

How on Earth do some of these players earn £50k+ playing like that?
(edited 13 years ago)
whats the score? skysports.com is being gay and i just got in
Reply 8974
JK.
OP
Original post by jermaindefoe
whats the score? skysports.com is being gay and i just got in

:colonhash:
LMAO Arsenal.
Damn not being a fan has really lifted alot of weight off me, because if i still was a fan id be pulling my hair out right now.
we lost 2-1

literally no wum intended - i was just asking after reading the depresive comments above :tongue:
Reply 8978
What is clear and has been for years is that the teams defence needs major reconstruction.
Reply 8979
at leats now wenger can stop using the excuse of "16 match unbeaten"

Latest