The Student Room Group

typical art students

Does anyone else find the typical types of Art students you get annoying/hilarious/a massive joke and as much as it pains me to say this, it normally is the females.
I mean people i've done my studies with have consisted of a similar niche of person;

People who think theyre creative as they do unconventional things (nude pictures, some girl cut all of her hair off and claimed it to being "CREATIVE AND DIFFERENT" when in reality she looked a total ****).

(I dont know how to class these people) but those who believe their introspective thoughts and questioning of their lives means they have the right to take pictures of themselves and put stupid captions such as "WHY CANT I BE BEAUTIFUL?" "IM DEAD INSIDE". **** off....

The mass amount of false and fake people, thinking theyre something special and new cause they wear band tshirts and shop in chairty shops.

The ones who believe they have/ must have lived a tough and tragic life (normally a bunch of lies and over exaggerations) to make themselves 'artists' (normally recounting their tales of being 'beaten' as children and having anorexia/bulimia/low self-esteem due to being bullied for being WEIRD). Woe is them.

The overly pretentious who just bull**** their way through discussing their work (particularly in interviews, i remember this girl before was saying all this detailed crap about her work and you just knew all that bull**** spewing from her mouth would leave her a nice after-taste).

Omg if i have to listen to one more person claim they're WEIRD and DIFFERENT i will screw. This makes me wish i didnt enjoy my work so much and did a different degree, due to the people.

tl? I don't like the fake pretentious, overly dramatic, lieing and just overall **** people that litter Art Colleges. Supposed to be anon too but oh well.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Some people are like that. Just deal with it.

I think most people find easily annoyed, overly grumpy types who complain all the time irritating as well.
Reply 2
Original post by Zottula
Some people are like that. Just deal with it.

I think most people find easily annoyed, overly grumpy types who complain all the time irritating as well.

You've obviously never met one of these twatty art students before then. My friend has turned into such a pretentious boring idiot ever since he started an art course at college. All he talks about is art, literally. He has started criticizing my clothes saying they aren't adventurous enough. He tries to force me to have a certain style as if I'm his accessory or something. Everything he creates is ridiculous, but because it's 'different', it's instantly a masterpiece. I dislike everything about art. Sorry, but a photo with gems stuck on it does not symbolize 'repression'.
Reply 3
Original post by jackmyswag
You've obviously never met one of these twatty art students before then. My friend has turned into such a pretentious boring idiot ever since he started an art course at college. All he talks about is art, literally. He has started criticizing my clothes saying they aren't adventurous enough. He tries to force me to have a certain style as if I'm his accessory or something. Everything he creates is ridiculous, but because it's 'different', it's instantly a masterpiece. I dislike everything about art. Sorry, but a photo with gems stuck on it does not symbolize 'repression'.

Ok yeah that would annoy me a little bit. But I'd get over it.
(edited 12 years ago)
I go to an art university and I have to say I haven't bumped into any of the people you describe OP. No-one is pretentious or thinks they're really 'differen't or 'weird', in fact all the people I hang out with are very down to earth and just a good laugh. To be fair we are encouraged to make slightly weird art works yes, my tutor did advise me to cover myself in ketchup for this project I'm doing at the moment... I don't see how stuff like that should bother you though? I mean if someone wants to cut off all their hair for the sake of art then that's their business really. Art is about being original and pushing boundaries after all.
Reply 5
Original post by Moooooooose
I go to an art university and I have to say I haven't bumped into any of the people you describe OP. No-one is pretentious or thinks they're really 'differen't or 'weird', in fact all the people I hang out with are very down to earth and just a good laugh. To be fair we are encouraged to make slightly weird art works yes, my tutor did advise me to cover myself in ketchup for this project I'm doing at the moment... I don't see how stuff like that should bother you though? I mean if someone wants to cut off all their hair for the sake of art then that's their business really. Art is about being original and pushing boundaries after all.

Couldn't agree more. OP, what you don't agree with is 'conceptual art', I don't like it either (and I'm an art student!). I know that some artists can see something and bull**** their way through interpreting it as something else, I know that because my friends do it on my course. Take a look around the room you're in, or even yourself. EVERYTHING has been designed by somebody and you have clearly chosen it because you 'like it'. You DO like art, you just don't like conceptual ideas behind art.
with their green hair etc lol
Reply 7
I'm at art college right now. No one in my course is like that. However the guys (inc. me) all fit the lazy stoner stereotype.

Also...fine art doesnt count. Design >
(edited 12 years ago)
But my therapist says I am WeIrd anddifferent.

:pierre:
The OP seems so grumpy and sombre. Have some cookies:

Reply 10
I call them hipsters.
Reply 11
Original post by Emmargh
Couldn't agree more. OP, what you don't agree with is 'conceptual art', I don't like it either (and I'm an art student!). I know that some artists can see something and bull**** their way through interpreting it as something else, I know that because my friends do it on my course. Take a look around the room you're in, or even yourself. EVERYTHING has been designed by somebody and you have clearly chosen it because you 'like it'. You DO like art, you just don't like conceptual ideas behind art.

Im sorry, how would you know what i agree with or not? im all for conceptual art and please dont give me the that old speech of THE WORLD IS ART.. i've heard, i live it bla bla bla. You may have missed the point, i dont like people who are OVERLY pretentious FAKE about the work they make as well as trying way to hard to be innovative, im sorry i dont agree with someone cutitng their hair off in a studio sink saying how shes questioning the exsistence of reality through the concept of her world being a figment of her own imagination. Im sorry that noone in the real world would give a ****... My own work in itself is conceptual based art work (im a sculpture and installation artist) BUT i dont force a sense of over the top, abstract concept to my work, as in reality art is for the masses and shouldnt be for overly pretentious *****.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12

There is a massive difference between pushing the boundaries in an intellectual, safe and riviting way. And theres pushing the boundaries in terms of being a complete nob. I know people that do the most ridiculous things to themselves claiming its for ARTS SAKE AND IM BEING EXPERIMENTAL.. no you're being a dick because you feel that to be an artist you have to be self-destructive.
Ps where do you study?
(edited 12 years ago)
Some are like that, some are lovely though.
I was amused because over the holidays this kid I knew in 6th Form facebook-messaged me to ask if he could take a photo of my scars, because he was doing a project on "Self" and he wanted a picture of them "as a physical manifestation of the emotional scars given to me by my parents", which was a bit odd since I hadn't spoken to him for about 4 years.
Reply 14
Original post by ladymary
Im sorry, how would you know what i agree with or not? im all for conceptual art and please dont give me the that old speech of THE WORLD IS ART.. i've heard, i live it bla bla bla. You may have missed the point, i dont like people who are OVERLY pretentious FAKE about the work they make as well as trying way to hard to be innovative, im sorry i dont agree with someone cutitng their hair off in a studio sink saying how shes questioning the exsistence of reality through the concept of her world being a figment of her own imagination. Im sorry that noone in the real world would give a ****... My own work in itself is conceptual based art work (im a sculpture and installation artist) BUT i dont force a sense of over the top, abstract concept to my work, as in reality art is for the masses and shouldnt be for overly pretentious *****.

This is conceptual, and you just put that you don't agree with it.

I've never met an art student who's like what you described so God knows which college/university you're at.
this is why i am hoping to study a sciencey course next year... i consider myself a highly eccentric artistic weirdo (based on other people's feedback on my personality), but i know that i will benefit from extra grounding if i submerge myself in a group of completely normal individuals... plus less cometition for attention from fellow arties that way :colone:

look at mee:

comments?
Reply 16
Original post by Emmargh
This is conceptual, and you just put that you don't agree with it.

I've never met an art student who's like what you described so God knows which college/university you're at.

I realise it's conceptual art, but i dont agree with her OVER THE TOP METHODS AND RIDCULOUS CONCEPTS ! I could theorise some fo the most abstract and ellaborate concepts i want but i dont, as i believe work should be produced in terms of questioning society, politics,for the people rather than being self-indulgent and pretentious (as to which her work is) DO YOU GET IT NOW?

One of the best... where do you study? DeMontfort? LOL
Original post by memomemootoo
this is why i am hoping to study a sciencey course next year... i consider myself a highly eccentric artistic weirdo (based on other people's feedback on my personality), but i know that i will benefit from extra grounding if i submerge myself in a group of completely normal individuals... plus less cometition for attention from fellow arties that way :colone:

look at mee:

comments?

Did you draw that? if yes, it's amazing, i like it. :biggrin:

i thought it was about making things people enjoy looking at/hearing?
Reply 19
perfect example (i realise its a spoof and is about hipsters..)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eKnSGn914M

AND OMG I ****ING HATE NERD GLASSES TOO

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending