The Student Room Group

Leeds or Nottingham?

Bit last minute, I know.

I've decided to firm Warwick, but am dithering about my insurance choices.

It's between Leeds and Nottingham. Leeds has got the better course in my opinion. But Nottingham has a slightly better reputation? Would a Nottingham degree be better for graduate prospects in comparison to Leeds?

Thanks massively :smile:
Subject? Offers? What do you plan on doing after you graduate?
Reply 2
Original post by supernova92
Subject? Offers? What do you plan on doing after you graduate?

English and French.

I hope to get into screenwriting or journalism.

Would also like the opportunity to do an English related MA.

kevin6767
x

Thank you for your advice :smile:
Original post by kevin6767
Well it is in the English forum so I would have thought it would be an english degree.

OP personally I would go with Leeds, if the course is better for you you will be more likely to enjoy it and be successful in it. Reputations and league tables can change with the tide, either way a good degree in a good subject from Leeds, Nottingham or Warwick aren't going to make you unemployable.

Oh I missed the "english" bit, just saw Arts and Humanities University Courses!

Seeing as you think that Leeds has got the better course, I agree with the above poster in that it will benefit you much more. Nottinghams "rep" may be more apparant at the moment, but there isn't really a massive difference between the two. What I'm trying to say is that it's not really significant enough.
My friend who does languages, also says that the department is great! :smile:
As for providing you with the best contacts/graduate prospects for journalism, I wouldn't know, so I'll let someone else answer that :smile:
Reply 4
If you think you'll enjoy the course at Leeds more then go for it. As everyone is saying the difference between Nottingham and Leeds isn't huge; and who knows by the time you graduate Leeds may be better :wink:

But go for somewhere you'll be happiest, not with the best reputation.. Almost any uni that's not Oxbridge will give people the same opportunities providing they do well and get a good degree :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by yabbayabba
Bit last minute, I know.

I've decided to firm Warwick, but am dithering about my insurance choices.

It's between Leeds and Nottingham. Leeds has got the better course in my opinion. But Nottingham has a slightly better reputation? Would a Nottingham degree be better for graduate prospects in comparison to Leeds?

Thanks massively :smile:

I rate Leeds English department more highly than Nottingham's for a number of reasons, but given your graduate interests I think you are more likely to secure a job in the Leeds area. Having said that, the actual universities are very similar in terms of overall structure, what they offer, and their place within their relative cities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending