The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dnumberwang
I dunno if it's because I live in Manchester and there are never any tourists, but I think I'd like having people from all over the world around, for some reason :tongue:

Ah well, just get into Oxford instead

It must be a real massive trek away... but the prospectus is rubbish (under location it says it's good because it's in the heart of England), actually so are most prospectuses. Oxford's is shocking compared to Cambridge's

Oxford is definitely Plan A :yep:. Everywhere's a trek away from Edinburgh, it's really annoying. I didn't book any May open days because Oxford and Cambridge are both 5 or 6 hours away on the train, so one open day = leaving at midday the day before, staying overnight, and getting back really late the day of the open day. And it felt too close to exams to spend two days on that. And if I do end up going to Oxford, I'll have to find some way to take my things to and fro six times a year, as I doubt my parents will do a two day drive (one there, one back) every eight weeks!
Original post by ecraven
The castle is great :tongue:. Is only catered accommodation in there though which doesn't suit me so much.
I personally liked liked the university and the Maths lecturers I talked to were very friendly. Contact hours on the course is about 15 hours which isn't that amazing considering fees next year.
Mind gone a bit blank... ask if there's anything else you want to know about it.

Aww well thats sounds good yh :smile:
Im not sure about accomodation: im v fussy eater for catered is probably not best, but i cant really cook so...
Original post by anyone_can_fly
Oxford is definitely Plan A :yep:. Everywhere's a trek away from Edinburgh, it's really annoying. I didn't book any May open days because Oxford and Cambridge are both 5 or 6 hours away on the train, so one open day = leaving at midday the day before, staying overnight, and getting back really late the day of the open day. And it felt too close to exams to spend two days on that. And if I do end up going to Oxford, I'll have to find some way to take my things to and fro six times a year, as I doubt my parents will do a two day drive (one there, one back) every eight weeks!

Well then, why dont you just go to Edinburgh uni? or Heriott watt?

That reminds me, I'm gonna have to get up before 7am to get to Cambridge by quarter to 11. yay

Well, you could always fly. Anyone can do that... :getmecoat:
Reply 324

I'm just gonna butt in to empathise here, I'm just a wee bit North of Edinburgh and I know what you mean about everywhere being a trek! But both of my firm/insurance are at least 6 hours away on the train...

It is really worth going to visit though, there are usually more open days at Oxford/Cambridge at the end of June/beginning of July I think.
Original post by BeccaCath94
Well then, why dont you just go to Edinburgh uni? or Heriott watt?

I'm just being picky - if I went to Edinburgh or Heriot-Watt, I'd have to live at home, which I don't want to do. And Heriot-Watt would mean an hour on the bus each day (I live too close to qualify for halls). I don't mind being away from home, it's just a bit of a pain when trying to co-ordinate open days and stuff.

That reminds me, I'm gonna have to get up before 7am to get to Cambridge by quarter to 11. yay

Well, you could always fly. Anyone can do that... :getmecoat:

Have fun with that :tongue: .

Fly to open days you mean, or when I'm at uni? For non-London open days, it wouldn't work very well as you have to allow an hour to get to the airport, an hour for airporty stuff, the flight's at least an hour, it takes time to get from the London airport to the train station, and then the train to Oxford/Cambridge/Bristol would be about an hour. So that comes out as the same amount of time. When I'm actually at uni, all my things for the term would probably exceed the baggage allowance. (Excuses, excuses, I know.)

Original post by r_u_t_h
I'm just gonna butt in to empathise here, I'm just a wee bit North of Edinburgh and I know what you mean about everywhere being a trek! But both of my firm/insurance are at least 6 hours away on the train...

It is really worth going to visit though, there are usually more open days at Oxford/Cambridge at the end of June/beginning of July I think.

Well done on that Cambridge offer! I've booked the July open days :smile: . The days are next to each other so I can do both in one trip. It's just that I'd have preferred the May ones if possible. Do you live in Fife somewhere? If so, that must be even worse for trains - at least all the trains go to Edinburgh, even if they take their time getting there.
I'm just being picky - if I went to Edinburgh or Heriot-Watt, I'd have to live at home, which I don't want to do. And Heriot-Watt would mean an hour on the bus each day (I live too close to qualify for halls). I don't mind being away from home, it's just a bit of a pain when trying to co-ordinate open days and stuff.

Have fun with that :tongue: .

Fly to open days you mean, or when I'm at uni? For non-London open days, it wouldn't work very well as you have to allow an hour to get to the airport, an hour for airporty stuff, the flight's at least an hour, it takes time to get from the London airport to the train station, and then the train to Oxford/Cambridge/Bristol would be about an hour. So that comes out as the same amount of time. When I'm actually at uni, all my things for the term would probably exceed the baggage allowance. (Excuses, excuses, I know.)

Well done on that Cambridge offer! I've booked the July open days :smile: . The days are next to each other so I can do both in one trip. It's just that I'd have preferred the May ones if possible. Do you live in Fife somewhere? If so, that must be even worse for trains - at least all the trains go to Edinburgh, even if they take their time getting there.

:rofl: I was talking about your username :smile:
:rofl: I was talking about your username :smile:

:getmecoat: I am not at my brightest today.
Is studiyng maths at university alot different from A level? I mean it is obviously going to be harder but it is basically the same format?

It's totally different. Of course it's a lot harder, and the questions you will face are more abstract so it is imperative you understand the key concepts. Not like in A Levels where you can memorise the questions and answers (as they are very similar)
Reply 329

Thanks :smile: Yeah, the earlier you go the more time to decide I guess. I was so last minute with deciding everything last year. And Fife?! :O I'm insulted! Hahaha! Nah, nearly though, Perth and Kinross.
Ahh cool. See i didnt realise i wanted to go until after march...theres an open day in june but its during school hours so i might not be able to go. and london is a long way away from where i live in york so...

Was the university good?? The castle accomodation looks amazing online!

I live in york and go to RHUL! If you cant make the open day in June then theres another one at the end of september (saturday). Alternatively campus tours are run every wednesday afternoon and you could arrange to come on one of them. Make sure you arrange to speak to an academic separately if you chooise to come on a wednesday tour!
I don't know if this has already been shown on this thread, but the people applying to Oxford might be interested in the stats for this years admissions. I make it just over 6 applicants per place for straight maths:

http://www.keble.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/subject-by-subject-admissions-feedback-from-last-round/mathematics-and-computer-science

Good luck
Original post by r_u_t_h
Thanks :smile: Yeah, the earlier you go the more time to decide I guess. I was so last minute with deciding everything last year. And Fife?! :O I'm insulted! Hahaha! Nah, nearly though, Perth and Kinross.

Yeah, I'm not a very last minute person! Or I am with revision/homework/unimportant things, but not with things that need planning. You said a "wee bit" North, Perth is like two hours away! My old viola teacher lives in Perth, you'd know her if you know her - Yla Steven? You probably don't, though - Perth's not *that* small. Sorry for the ramble.
Original post by dmoorcroft
I live in york and go to RHUL! If you cant make the open day in June then theres another one at the end of september (saturday). Alternatively campus tours are run every wednesday afternoon and you could arrange to come on one of them. Make sure you arrange to speak to an academic separately if you chooise to come on a wednesday tour!

REALLY?! Wow!! What a coincidence!! What secondary school did you go to?
What're you studying there?

Yh I dont think im going to go anymore though...my mum said it'll be too expensive to live in london...
Reply 334
Only just found this thread and i guess this applies to me too! Which is quite scary as im only 16 right now and doing my standard grades!
Reply 335
Yeah, I'm not a very last minute person! Or I am with revision/homework/unimportant things, but not with things that need planning. You said a "wee bit" North, Perth is like two hours away! My old viola teacher lives in Perth, you'd know her if you know her - Yla Steven? You probably don't, though - Perth's not *that* small. Sorry for the ramble.

Haha, I wish I'd been much more organised about it all, luckily it all went ok but I definitely would have been less stressed had I thought about it more earlier! Perth is like 20 minutes from where I live, and Edinburgh about 40 minutes in the opposite direction, so by my maths... that's only an hour. Hahaha! Nope, can't say I've ever heard of her... But then again, music is not my (piano)forte! I think that's a music term... Grade 2 Piano, oh yeah! Hahaha :biggrin:
Original post by Ajay13
Only just found this thread and i guess this applies to me too! Which is quite scary as im only 16 right now and doing my standard grades!

You're not plannig on a sixth year? Fair enough, welcome to the thread!

r_u_t_h
Haha, I wish I'd been much more organised about it all, luckily it all went ok but I definitely would have been less stressed had I thought about it more earlier! Perth is like 20 minutes from where I live, and Edinburgh about 40 minutes in the opposite direction, so by my maths... that's only an hour. Hahaha! Nope, can't say I've ever heard of her... But then again, music is not my (piano)forte! I think that's a music term... Grade 2 Piano, oh yeah! Hahaha

Well, it feels like two hours ¬¬. Did you only think about Cambridge at the last minute? Cos that would be easy to do (and very scary): you think you've got three months to decide and then find that your UCAS has to be sent off tomorrow! Or something.
Ah well. The reason I asked was that a lot of people happen to have heard of her. She has a facebook fan group that has about fifty members. Pianoforte is indeed a music term... it's an instrument, you played it for a couple of years. :tongue:
Reply 337
You're not plannig on a sixth year? Fair enough, welcome to the thread!

Nah, if I dont need to do it I don't see why I should! Might as well get a head-start on my career!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 338
Well, it feels like two hours ¬¬. Did you only think about Cambridge at the last minute? Cos that would be easy to do (and very scary): you think you've got three months to decide and then find that your UCAS has to be sent off tomorrow! Or something.
Ah well. The reason I asked was that a lot of people happen to have heard of her. She has a facebook fan group that has about fifty members. Pianoforte is indeed a music term... it's an instrument, you played it for a couple of years. :tongue:

Well it was just always a thought, oh maybe I could apply, but I never really thought about it properly till after I got my Higher results. Hardly anyone applies down South at my school, never mind Oxbridge etc! Yeah, so I missed all the open days but went down and visited and stuff, picked a college and applied. And then I got an interview, and then an offer. Mega stunned doesn't describe it! I really only applied so as I wouldn't regret not doing so, I never thought I'd actually get this far with it!

Oh. I seemed to think it was the word for loud... My piano playing days are looong gone!
Original post by r_u_t_h
Well it was just always a thought, oh maybe I could apply, but I never really thought about it properly till after I got my Higher results. Hardly anyone applies down South at my school, never mind Oxbridge etc! Yeah, so I missed all the open days but went down and visited and stuff, picked a college and applied. And then I got an interview, and then an offer. Mega stunned doesn't describe it! I really only applied so as I wouldn't regret not doing so, I never thought I'd actually get this far with it!

Oh. I seemed to think it was the word for loud... My piano playing days are looong gone!

Well done for it anyway! :smile:
Forte is the word for loud, piano is the word for soft. When the piano was invented in the eighteenth century, it could do dynamics (softs and louds), unlike its predecessor, the harpsichord. So it was named a 'pianoforte', or 'soft-loud'. :grin:

Latest