The Student Room Group
Original post by T.Adams VI
I still think Bendtner and Chamakh are a joke...We desperately need another striker.

No way, agree with you on getting another striker but Chamakh is soo underrated, he just doesn't get enough play time with the regular first team imo, he always seems to get left out, I think him and RvP up front could really work well after some time to gel - with Arshavin on the wing

And Chamakh on his ones up front, just doesn't work imo
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by MoMatrix
The title isn't an unrealistic target, this years title was there for the taking United aren't much better than Arsenal.

When you consistently finish 10 points or so behind the league winners, it is. When I look at the state of your defence, it is. And United are much better than Arsenal as indicated by the 9 point gap. If the gap is that when United 'aren't much better' won't it be scary with reinforcements in the summer? Of course, Arsenal are good enough to beat Man Utd in a one-off match. So are Man City. So are Liverpool. They are some of the better teams in the league.

I don't know how Wenger can look at the home record and not realise that something is not right tactically. Even the out-of-form teams in the league have managed to come to The Emirates and leave with points. Obviously I don't expect Wenger to come out and say his team isn't good enough to win the title but he should be a bit cautious. This Arsenal team is essentially a new-ish team now, again. The two CBs, Wilshere, and Sczczesny are new to this title run-in business. And for a club which has gone so long without a trophy, it is a lot of pressure to put on them. Liverpool will do some spending, jury is out on whether they can reproduce this run of form next season but we'll see.

I don't think you're in a position where you can afford not to spend money and stay where you are (around 3rd). It is only a matter of time before Man City start challenging for the league. Chelsea will go mad this summer. And 'arry will be going mad this summer trying to sign 10 strikers, 10 goalkeepers and anyone else.

So you either stay patient and give Wenger two or more years to build this team. Or you hope he changes his ways and buys two or three quality players. But a bit of tactical variety (not playing with just RvP up top) would solve some problems, like the home form.
Reply 9962
We need to spend in the summer, end of.
Reply 9963
Original post by Mastermind`
When you consistently finish 10 points or so behind the league winners, it is. When I look at the state of your defence, it is. And United are much better than Arsenal as indicated by the 9 point gap. If the gap is that when United 'aren't much better' won't it be scary with reinforcements in the summer? Of course, Arsenal are good enough to beat Man Utd in a one-off match. So are Man City. So are Liverpool. They are some of the better teams in the league.

I don't know how Wenger can look at the home record and not realise that something is not right tactically. Even the out-of-form teams in the league have managed to come to The Emirates and leave with points. Obviously I don't expect Wenger to come out and say his team isn't good enough to win the title but he should be a bit cautious. This Arsenal team is essentially a new-ish team now, again. The two CBs, Wilshere, and Sczczesny are new to this title run-in business. And for a club which has gone so long without a trophy, it is a lot of pressure to put on them. Liverpool will do some spending, jury is out on whether they can reproduce this run of form next season but we'll see.

I don't think you're in a position where you can afford not to spend money and stay where you are (around 3rd). It is only a matter of time before Man City start challenging for the league. Chelsea will go mad this summer. And 'arry will be going mad this summer trying to sign 10 strikers, 10 goalkeepers and anyone else.

So you either stay patient and give Wenger two or more years to build this team. Or you hope he changes his ways and buys two or three quality players. But a bit of tactical variety (not playing with just RvP up top) would solve some problems, like the home form.

Recently the gap has widened to 9 points a few weeks ago it was 3 or 4 so I don't think that is indicative of United being much better, this has happened on many occasions the only recent season I can remember of Man Utd being streets ahead was the 08/09 season. Up until March, Arsenal have always had a good chance and predictably have fallen away this is the fault of Wenger. The United team this year have been just above average.
If Arsenal had sorted out their home form to be anything like United's this season, we'd have run away with the league.

Unfortunately, this didn't happen. We've lost as many home games as Fulham and Bolton, which is unacceptable.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by MoMatrix
Recently the gap has widened to 9 points a few weeks ago it was 3 or 4 so I don't think that is indicative of United being much better, this has happened on many occasions the only recent season I can remember of Man Utd being streets ahead was the 08/09 season. Up until March, Arsenal have always had a good chance and predictably have fallen away this is the fault of Wenger. The United team this year have been just above average.

But you judge a team over 38 games, not 30 games. You still had tough away fixtures, many were singing praises about your defence a few months ago, but someone (Louis, i think) did point out you had had easy fixtures, most of which were at home.

Original post by marcusmerehay
If Arsenal had sorted out their home form to be anything like United's this season, we'd have run away with the league.

Unfortunately, this didn't happen. We've lost as many home games as Fulham and Bolton, which is unacceptable.

Not if we had sorted out our away form...
I don't think any of the 'big four' can take that many positives from this season, tbpfh.
Which is something I said from the start. Kiss my ring, fools.
Reply 9968
Sahin moving to Madrid, could mean Diarra departs in the summer. Anyone fancy him as a back-up for Song?
His attitude wasn't right before, which allowed Flamini to get in the team ahead of him.

He'd be useful as competition with Song and allow us to offload Denilson, I suppose.
Reply 9970
Why would he go from backup at Madrid to backup at Arsenal?

He's as good if not better than Song anyway. Would be a good signing for you as he'd offer your defence better protection in the tougher games (along with Song, yes a tactical change!) but I can't see it happening.
Reply 9971
I don't think Wenger would buy back a player who he has sold in the past tbh.
Original post by Louis.
Why would he go from backup at Madrid to backup at Arsenal?

He didn't manage to get in ahead of Flamini despite having been a back-up at Chelsea.
Reply 9973
Original post by marcusmerehay
He didn't manage to get in ahead of Flamini despite having been a back-up at Chelsea.

Sorry, I meant from his point of view. If you have to be sitting on a bench somewhere Madrid is a far more appealing place to do it.
His attitude was fine before. He didn't want to be on the bench when he was good enough for the first team. That's a ****ing great attitude.
Original post by Louis.
Sorry, I meant from his point of view. If you have to be sitting on a bench somewhere Madrid is a far more appealing place to do it.

I think he'd only move if we could guarantee he'd start ahead of Song, which, given how important Song has been over the last couple of seasons, I can't see happening.

(Not that I could see Arsene going in for him anyway)
Milan got some decent freebies havent they? Mexes and Taiwo? Would've thought Arsene would be in there like a shot when freebies are given out.
I think the initial intention was to go for Mexes last summer before Squillaci.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Reply 9978
Free transfers attract extortionate wages though, and the signing on fees to both player and agent often make them not so free.
Reply 9979
Nuri Sahin would have been a fantastic replacement for Fabregas.

Latest