The Student Room Group

Higher English Exam 2011 Coming Up!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
I'd feel confident if it wasn't pot luck.
Original post by Evan7788
I'd feel confident if it wasn't pot luck.

Preparation or lack of it still has a serious effect :smile:
Original post by Jonzo_Boy
is it this one;
"What duror heard was a roaring within him, as if that tree of hatred and revulsion was being tossed by a gale"

on the same note, can anyone doing Cone gatherers help. I'm not sure of the analysis and meaning of the quote above. Thank you.

It's not that quote, I have all the previous ones before the doll scene, I reread the scene and have come to the conclusion that quote was a figment of my imagination. There is a sly sentence that Jenkins slips in "In Duror's repetitious incoherence the word seed was recurring."

I found this very interesting as it can mean Duror's tree of evil has shed it's leaves and seeds and that it's come to the end of it's life and growth for that year, that he is planting his seeds of evil - spreading his lies.

Or it is another obsessive example of his unjustifiable hatred of the Cone Gatherers, as they are gathering seeds. Despite the interesting-ness of this, I won't use it.

To answer your question it means that he could feel the evil inside himself fighting to get to the surface, that it was going mental and thrashing about to gain control. It signifies the start of his decline into madness as the evil has been awoken, remember the tree is a metaphor of his growing evil.

Later it says something along the lines of "He was like a tree, straight, still showing green leaves, but underground death crept along the roots." showing how the evil is slowly starting to overcome Duror - that on the outside he can still keep his composure but it's gotten to the point where it's starting to creep throughout the tree. Slowly taking over.
The thought just crossed my mind of drinking some energy drinks before, and maybe 1 during the interval to help, what do you think; any truth to energy drinks help you better perfom in exams? This is something i haven't tried before.
Just think, in 24 hours it'll all be over :smile:
Reply 265
Original post by stephenmca
The thought just crossed my mind of drinking some energy drinks before, and maybe 1 during the interval to help, what do you think; any truth to energy drinks help you better perfom in exams? This is something i haven't tried before.

Drinking too many energy drinks could end up having the "inbetweeners effect" where you'll end up crapping yourself in the middle of the exam
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
That's just a feeling, believe in yourself and you'll be fine :smile:

:s-smilie: I'd rather just have low expectations, so I'm not distraught if I don't fulfill my potential.
Original post by Albertine
:s-smilie: I'd rather just have low expectations, so I'm not distraught if I don't fulfill my potential.

Is that really a good way to live your life? :tongue:
Is three poems and one prose piece enough? I'm not that confident with drama.
Is that really a good way to live your life? :tongue:

Without sounding dramatic, I've had alot of painful disappointments, I'd rather deal with it that way :wink: and after my straight 1s at standard grades, I feel as if I'n just waiting for a disaster :P predicted 5as, but I slacked slightly after prelims, although i've worked quite hard recently. Hard to know how much is enough?
I'm so glad I passed Higher English last year, I'm 100% if I was resitting it, I'd die of the stress. Watched everyone today panic about the exam tomorrow... poor guys. :frown:

Good luck for the exam everyone :cute:
I just did a past paper, added up marks... not looking good. Not at all.
I'm hoping that it's going to be a really easy paper, or something tragic will happen.. like the exam hall suddenly colaps (with no one in the hall mind you) so I don't have to do it...
One can hope :h:
Original post by Albertine
Without sounding dramatic, I've had alot of painful disappointments, I'd rather deal with it that way :wink: and after my straight 1s at standard grades, I feel as if I'n just waiting for a disaster :P predicted 5as, but I slacked slightly after prelims, although i've worked quite hard recently. Hard to know how much is enough?

Of course it is impossible to predict the future, but I'd rather have a sunny outlook :smile:

Prelims are supposedly 'easier' than the exam.
Reply 273
Of course it is impossible to predict the future, but I'd rather have a sunny outlook :smile:

Prelims are supposedly 'easier' than the exam.

We got told that prelims are harder than the actual exams??
Original post by Akmeeda

Well obviously they ask more in depth questions about the units they cover, as opposed to the exam that has more of a spread. But the SQA love to pull random questions out :biggrin:

Prelim marks are not a guaranteed indicator of exam performance.
Reply 275
Original post by Akmeeda

Reply 276
Original post by _Stephieee
Oh dear. I cannot believe my teacher has put us in this position. I thought the majority of people only did two texts... apparently not! :eek:

I'm fine with The Crucible but writing about Miss Jean Brodie is tricky, and the themes are pretty challenging subjects too. Here's hoping for a setting question then.

Our teacher is utter crapness. The other higher class in my school has 4 or 5 options, all ive got is Novel: Lord of the flies by William Golding and Poem: My Last Duchess by Robert Browning :frown: Ive got Film: saving private ryan as backup but its my weakest of the 3 :frown:
Reply 277
I did 'Revelation' by liz Lochhead. It was pretty good :smile:

Doing Revelation too. I think it is suitable to be used in quite a few past paper questions I have looked at. Also studied Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening by Robert Frost, Sparrow by Norman MacCaig and The Eagle by Tennyson.
Novel - Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe

We studied Bold Girls in class too but i think it sucks tbh. Good luck to everyone with exams :smile:
Reply 278
I cannot believe its tomorrow. For years i have heard people talking about the dreaded higher english exam and how awful and hard it is. I feel soo sick.
Original post by beth..
I cannot believe its tomorrow. For years i have heard people talking about the dreaded higher english exam and how awful and hard it is. I feel soo sick.

It'll be fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending