The Student Room Group

Higher History!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm studying:

Britain: Liberals (why and how successful), Labour, and women. My lecturer didn't bother teaching us the reasons for the growth of democracy because apparently no one she's taught has ever answered that question. I'm kind of awful at women so I'm hoping the Liberals or Labour comes up.

Appeasement: Munich, appeasement (why and how successful), reasons for the outbreak of ww2 and the abondement of appeasement.

I think that should be enough? There was a question in the grade booster that wasn't on the "issues" list so I'm starting to freak out.
Reply 21
Hey,

I'm doing Scottish Wars of Independence as well :smile: It's a really interesting topic, especially as I am English (boo! hiss!) heh heh.

I'm studying up here in Scotland, though.

I can't find any past papers with sources because they changed them last year apparently so where can I do some more practicing?

Does anyone have a PDF with some in?

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by fjanndinn
Hey,

I'm doing Scottish Wars of Independence as well :smile: It's a really interesting topic, especially as I am English (boo! hiss!) heh heh.

I'm studying up here in Scotland, though.

I can't find any past papers with sources because they changed them last year apparently so where can I do some more practicing?

Does anyone have a PDF with some in?

Thank you! :smile:

there are like, none because it's the first year they are doing this. You could, however, ask your teacher for NABs? That's what our teacher did, once we all passed it.
Reply 23
Original post by Martyna156
there are like, none because it's the first year they are doing this. You could, however, ask your teacher for NABs? That's what our teacher did, once we all passed it.

Excellent idea that person! :smile: I'll do that - we have some time left!
Reply 24
Paper 1:

Germany

Growth of National Consciousness (hopefully)
The Rise Of The Nazis (eh)

Britain

How democracy (acts and all that, probably doing this)
Liberal Reforms (eh, y'know)

wasn't taught about the Welfare State and Beveridge and all that because we were told that it isn't coming up in the exam at all, there won't be a question on it

For paper 2, I'm doing The Reformation. Need to revise that. A lot.
Reply 25
Original post by Venomous9
Paper 1:

Germany

Growth of National Consciousness (hopefully)
The Rise Of The Nazis (eh)

Britain

How democracy (acts and all that, probably doing this)
Liberal Reforms (eh, y'know)

wasn't taught about the Welfare State and Beveridge and all that because we were told that it isn't coming up in the exam at all, there won't be a question on it

For paper 2, I'm doing The Reformation. Need to revise that. A lot.

OH WHAT? WHO TOLD YOU THAT? THAT'S MY BEST TOPIC! :eek:
Reply 26
Original post by fjanndinn
Excellent idea that person! :smile: I'll do that - we have some time left!

haha, I guess you don't have to thank :L
I'm hoping to take Higher History this year(6th year) and wondered what it was like? I loved it at standard grade but clearly its a big jump. Is it really difficult? I'm willing to work but dont want to kill myself over it..
Original post by OddThings
I'm hoping to take Higher History this year(6th year) and wondered what it was like? I loved it at standard grade but clearly its a big jump. Is it really difficult? I'm willing to work but dont want to kill myself over it..

Higher History is amazing, imo it's one of the best Highers out there. It is quite similar to Higher English in many respects; you do 2 essays in the final exam and you do a source based paper 2 (like in SG but much harder). But I think whether you enjoy it or not comes down to the topics you do, and there is a huge array of topics available - so what I've done for higher history might be completely different from what you will do. Anyway, I really enjoyed it and I would definitely recommend it. :smile:
Original post by chr1stopher11
Higher History is amazing, imo it's one of the best Highers out there. It is quite similar to Higher English in many respects; you do 2 essays in the final exam and you do a source based paper 2 (like in SG but much harder). But I think whether you enjoy it or not comes down to the topics you do, and there is a huge array of topics available - so what I've done for higher history might be completely different from what you will do. Anyway, I really enjoyed it and I would definitely recommend it. :smile:

Ah.Higher English is not my strong point.I love reading but the questions that came up today were terrible..would I not be allowed to do history then do you think?
Original post by OddThings
Ah.Higher English is not my strong point.I love reading but the questions that came up today were terrible..would I not be allowed to do history then do you think?

You should be able to take it, because you are not crashing it then I'm sure they'd let you do it even if you are not strong at English. They are similar subjects but they are different, if you know what I mean - in English you analyse literature, in History you analyse historical events. History is also, imo, more interesting than English, by quite a long way. :smile:
Reply 31
History is a good subject. take it if you enjoy writing quite a lot : )
Hi :smile:
Britain
For Britain I've looked over the Liberals, but I'm miles better at democracy. Hoping for a really good 'To what extent was Britain Democratic by...' question as I've spent ages swotting up on al the dates and names of the Acts.

America
I'm studying Civil Rights before and after 1945, because I hear that's likely to come up every year and probably I'm gonna have a cursory glance over the Wall Street Crash and Republican Policies.

I'm absolutely bricking it for paper 2. I'm doing the Scottish Wars of Independence and it's not like I don't know what I'm talking about. On the questions I've done I've got 8s and 9s out of 10 and 4s and 5s out of 5 it's just I have serious timing issues. :s-smilie: Never finished a paper II yet. Here's hoping though... On Friday it'll be all over!
Reply 33
Anyone else doing appeasement? There's a question in the Grade Booster that's not one of the "issues" so I'm kind of like... :\
Original post by laridum
Anyone else doing appeasement? There's a question in the Grade Booster that's not one of the "issues" so I'm kind of like... :\

Look at page 36 of this report thingy. It has a breakdown of all of the issues in each topic and Appeasement is on page 36 :smile:

http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/files_ccc/History_Higher_2010.pdf
Reply 35
Original post by chr1stopher11
Look at page 36 of this report thingy. It has a breakdown of all of the issues in each topic and Appeasement is on page 36 :smile:

http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/files_ccc/History_Higher_2010.pdf

Yeah, that's the issues list I was talking about. The question in the Grade Booster is "How successfully did Germany pursue its foreign policy between 1933 and 1939?" or something. I don't know if I'm just being dim. Would it come under the success of British foreign policy (issue 4)? I might just email my lecturer about it. :erm:
Reply 36
I'm supposed to do appeasement, but I kind of concentrated on mastering Hitler's Rise to Power and Life in Nazi Germany instead. so fingers crossed that one of them comes up.
Reply 37
I'm doing Scottish Wars of Independence too for paper 2. I've been studying it lots but it's just not going in. :frown:

I hope they don't make it too hard as it's the first year it's being done. Guess we'll see.
Reply 38
Original post by derangedyoshi
For Britain, I'm learning women and the two democracy essays, and I'll probably glance over why liberals just in case. We didn't do labour for time reasons and I never bothered to learn to what extent liberals. Don't know about Russia, we're doing appeasement.

hey see for your appeasement section, are you learning about both the essays ?

An evaluation of the reasons for the British policy of appeasement, 1936-1938.

An assessment of the success of British foreign policy in containing fascist aggression, 1935 March 1938.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 39
Hey guys!!
Do you think its a bad idea for me to just ignore democracy of Britain and focus more on women, liberal reforms and labour/welfare state?

Also, anyone here doing USA? I'm seriously worrying about that part of it!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending