The Student Room Group

Why do Americans believe that their soldiers 'Fight for their freedom'?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by No Future
We have different perceptions of 'middle class'.

So why mention ruling family?

It is not a matter of perception. They are not middle class. The average wage in Iran is 1500 pounds and the economic situation is dire. So the concept that they are spending £10000 a year on University fees and that they are middle class is just rubbish.

I mentioned the Ruling Family because my friend is from the ruling family. That is analogous to your friends who "like" living in Iran as they are part of the Elites.
Original post by DorianGrayism
It is not a matter of perception. They are not middle class. The average wage in Iran is 1500 pounds and the economic situation is dire. So the concept that they are spending £10000 a year on University fees and that they are middle class is just rubbish. .

It is matter of perception.

Your ideas of what is middle class/elite are skewed.

As are your ideas of international tuition fees.

They are well off, but certainly not 'rich' or 'elite'

Maybe 'upper middle' if it makes you feel better
Original post by goewyn
I somewhat see your point about state elites, but I don't like this implication that one has to be part of the ruling families to be an international student in the UK!

Ahh...I didn't mean that for all international students. To be a student from certain countries like Burma, you need to have the correct connection.

I guess you are an international student. I didn't mean to offend!:smile:
It is matter of perception.

Your ideas of what is middle class/elite are skewed.

As are your ideas of international tuition fees.

They are well off, but certainly not 'rich' or 'elite'

Maybe 'upper middle' if it makes you feel better

All you are doing is what you wrote before without addressing any of my points.

The Average Wage in Iran is 1500. The Average tuition fee in this country is 10000 per year.

The conservative equivalent would be a person in this country paying 120,000 per year in tuition fees.

They are not middle class.
Reply 64
Ahh...I didn't mean that for all international students. To be a student from certain countries like Burma, you need to have the correct connection.

I guess you are an international student. I didn't mean to offend!:smile:

Yeah, I realised after posting you were actually being quite specific about the countries you were referring to. I'm a future international student, one who's solidly middle class but working her ass off in two jobs currently to afford the tuition fees... You just struck a nerve :tongue:
To be a student from certain countries like Burma, you need to have the correct connection.

BS.
All you are doing is what you wrote before without addressing any of my points.

The Average Wage in Iran is 1500. The Average tuition fee in this country is 10000 per year.

The conservative equivalent would be a person in this country paying 120,000 per year in tuition fees.

They are not middle class.

Average wage is irrelevant. It's what they can afford that counts.

You have no idea how much it costs to study in the UK as an international.

That's all I need to say.

Well off, but not "the ruling elite"

There's well off international students and the flaming rich Saudi prince types. My friends are not the latter.
Original post by manchild007
:facepalm:

I find it ironic that you mock Americans* in such a manner, but are yourself using severely retarded logic to do so.

*Americans consist of 300m people, so how on earth you can sum up all their views as some single homogenous entity to represent the thinking of the country is beyond me (and indeed reason).

As for the issue of guns - the reason one is allowed to carry a gun in the US is for personal protection; period. Its enshrined within the constitution and one would think looking back at how the United States was formed, it would be pretty obvious why. You may not agree with it or you may have some major objections with the idea (whilst I agree with the right to arms, I do often myself question lax individual state mandates, such as those in Arizona for example), but that does not give license to simply propagate falsehoods through hyperbole.

:lolwut:

Humour- 1
Manchild007- 0
Original post by Lewroll
:lolwut:

Humour- 1
Manchild007- 0

Elements, such as the last/closing line may have been intended as humour (though it wasn't funny, I can understand the intention to be of course), but I very much doubt the lambasting/ridiculing and stern nature of the rest of the post was indeed intended for such humorous purposes :rolleyes:
Average wage is irrelevant. It's what they can afford that counts.

I am not sure what difference it makes if you change the criteria to "what they can afford that counts". The average middle class family in Iran cannot afford to go to a foreign university.

They may be "middle class" in this country but in Iran they are very wealthy. I am not sure what part of that you don't understand. They probably earn at least 15 X in excess of the National Wage.

You have no idea how much it costs to study in the UK as an international.

Well, I do. It is quite easy to find.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/5522070/British-students-pushed-out-of-universities-by-EU-applicants.html

" Non-EU overseas students are charged full tuition costs by universities, which average £10,000 a year for arts students, and they do not count against Government student quotas."

Those tuition fees have probably risen as well since.

That's all I need to say.

Clearly not because you are still talking nonsense.

Well off, but not "the ruling elite"

There's well off international students and the flaming rich Saudi prince types. My friends are not the latter.

No. Stop changing what I wrote.

I didn't say they were well off international students.

I didn't say they were part of the "ruling elite", so don't put it in quotation marks.

I said they were not part of the middle class in their country. They were part of the wealthy upper class.
BS.

I am not sure how it is BS. I am not saying anything particularly radical.

Well, I do. It is quite easy to find.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/5522070/British-students-pushed-out-of-universities-by-EU-applicants.html

" Non-EU overseas students are charged full tuition costs by universities, which average £10,000 a year for arts students, and they do not count against Government student quotas."

Clearly not because you are still talking nonsense.

Medicine costs at least double your figure at the university in question, that's why I say you are talking BS. Most international courses cost way more than £10k

You are the one talking nonsense
I am not sure how it is BS. I am not saying anything particularly radical.

bs = incorrect statements of int tuition fees and claiming they're from the elite/ruling classes
Original post by manchild007
Elements, such as the last/closing line may have been intended as humour (though it wasn't funny, I can understand the intention to be of course)

Ah heres where we disagree, I thought it was very funny :colonhash:
but I very much doubt the lambasting/ridiculing and stern nature of the rest of the post was indeed intended for such humorous purposes :rolleyes:

Wrong again manchild, the entire post was intended to be humorous. Its not my fault you didn't understand it, at least 3 other people did :dontknow:
:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Reply 74
Original post by DisconcertingWink1
The amount of anti-americanism in this thread is astounding—and deeply worrying.

Because it's cool to be anti-American with the trendy left wing students who only know life through text books and one-sided lecturers. Shame they let countries like Iran and North Korea off the hook when the USA is paradise compared to what goes on in those countries.

I love how people here find it perfectly acceptable to generalize all Americans as overly patriotic bible-bashing gun-toting cowboys who think they own the planet, yet those same people will get all up in arms if anyone generalizes Muslims as homophobic and terrorist sympathizers. You never hear anyone say "oh it's only a minority of Americans!"
bs = incorrect statements of int tuition fees and claiming they're from the elite/ruling classes

Except you didn't reply to that. You replied to a point regarding Burma.
Medicine costs at least double your figure at the university in question, that's why I say you are talking BS. Most international courses cost way more than £10k

You are the one talking nonsense

Don't bother me. Take it up with the telegraph.

Unless you are going to show that international fees are much lower than 10K then it makes no difference to my argument.
Reply 77
Original post by Lewroll
would all gang up and attack America and go into their homes and rape their children and burn their flags.
GAWD BLESS AMERIICA

Just like Americans are doing now in other countries like Afghanistan and Palestine?
Reply 78
Hardly going to convince any soldiers to fight if you go around telling them "Go get killed over there so someone up in an office can get rich from oil speculation."

But that's just me.
Original post by Lewroll
The entire post was intended to be humorous. Its not my fault you didn't understand it, at least 3 other people did :dontknow:

Then my apologies in that case Lewroll - it just came across different to me. However, if that was not your intention, I should not criticize you and thus I shall stop.

Good day :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending