The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Accomodation at Imperial

Scroll to see replies

Reply 660
Original post by sonyb660
still not get the form now...... anyone can tell me why?

Because it's being sent out in batches and they haven't gotten around to you yet. Patience plox.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by freefrag
Apparently they try to match people with different interests to promote diversity ;p. So if you've only put the geekiest hobbies on, you might end up with a hipster, or worse :biggrin:

I'm planning to put my music on that... I've got such a diverse taste in music, they've just GOT to love me :wink:
Reply 662
Apparently they try to match people with different interests to promote diversity ;p. So if you've only put the geekiest hobbies on, you might end up with a hipster, or worse :biggrin:

Why do people never tell me these things?!

Too late now -.-
Original post by sarubobo28
That's exactly what I did except that I've thrown in Wilson single instead of Garden triple...
competition competition :ninja:

Great minds think alike! I'll be happy with any of the ones I put down though I want garden Triple the most. The triple rooms are humongous, and I'm quite needy so sharing with people will be great. :awesome:

Everyone with facebook: join the freshers group!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_199871986705383
Reply 664
Original post by Legendary Carrot
Great minds think alike! I'll be happy with any of the ones I put down though I want garden Triple the most. The triple rooms are humongous, and I'm quite needy so sharing with people will be great. :awesome:

Everyone with facebook: join the freshers group!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_199871986705383

I shall be content with any of the rooms on my list, but Garden triple is my dream room. We are either arch-enemies, or future room mates. (Shall find out come September!)
Reply 665
Original post by Legendary Carrot

Original post by Alex-92
I shall be content with any of the rooms on my list, but Garden triple is my dream room. We are either arch-enemies, or future room mates. (Shall find out come September!)

Damn you guys. The garden triples are my dream rooms too.
Original post by Zottula
Yeah, I get the impression that there is no shortage of geeks at Imperial.

I'm very shy, socially awkward and not at all outgoing so my main concern is that my roommate will think I'm boring and weird :sad:.

That's why I'm so keen to go to Imperial! I think the people there will be to my liking.

See I'd be happy sharing with a person like you, Zottula, because you seem like a very kind, decent peaceful person. If your roomates find you boring, then so what? I bet their lifestyle of drinking/partying/whatever would seem pretty boring to you.

:eek: That is an absolutely terrifying thought! I really hope they don't actually do that. Encouraging you to expand your range of interests is one thing, but forcing you to live with your polar opposite for a year just seems incredibly cruel. I wouldn't be surprised if the admin staff/hall wardens/whoever that allocate these rooms are just massive sadists- in the style of "Let's put the guy who lists Online Gaming and Role-Playing as his interests with the rugby jock and see how they get on" :s-smilie:

I'm quite worried now- a friend of mine studying Medicine at Imperial got put with this pothead guy for his first year in Halls (he was at Southwell I think). They didn't get along at all. I just really hope I don't end up sharing then.

I left out hobbies like running and going to the gym and only included the following hobbies:

"Reading: Popular Science, Sci Fi/Fantasy, Manga
Learning Languages: French, Hindi
Sport: Badminton"
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 667
Original post by innerhollow
That's why I'm so keen to go to Imperial! I think the people there will be to my liking.

See I'd be happy sharing with a person like you, Zottula, because you seem like a very kind, decent peaceful person. If your roomates find you boring, then so what? I bet their lifestyle of drinking/partying/whatever would seem pretty boring to you.

Aww thankyou :smile:.

I'm also keen on Imperial for those reasons too! The stereotypical Imperial geeks are exactly my kind of people. Plus I absolutely love really nerdy guys :coma:
Reply 668
:eek: That is an absolutely terrifying thought! I really hope they don't actually do that. Encouraging you to expand your range of interests is one thing, but forcing you to live with your polar opposite for a year just seems incredibly cruel. I wouldn't be surprised if the admin staff/hall wardens/whoever that allocate these rooms are just massive sadists- in the style of "Let's put the guy who lists Online Gaming and Role-Playing as his interests with the rugby jock and see how they get on" :s-smilie:

I'm quite worried now- a friend of mine studying Medicine at Imperial got put with this pothead guy for his first year in Halls (he was at Southwell I think). They didn't get along at all. I just really hope I don't end up sharing then.

I left out hobbies like running and going to the gym and only included the following hobbies:

"Reading: Popular Science, Sci Fi/Fantasy, Manga
Learning Languages: French, Hindi
Sport: Badminton"

I think most of the time they match you up with someone who shares SOME of your interests, but not 100% (to promote the whole diversity thing.) Usually they're very good at getting it right; however, I guess your friend's case does prove it's not a perfect system. ><

In any case, though, if you *do* end up sharing, I hope you get someone decent. :smile: Pretty sure you don't have 5 heads and speak a'la Yoda, so you'll be fine. :wink:

Original post by Zottula
Yeah, I get the impression that there is no shortage of geeks at Imperial.

I'm very shy, socially awkward and not at all outgoing so my main concern is that my roommate will think I'm boring and weird :sad:.

Funny, I worry that my outgoing-ness (I'm rather chatty) will make me look like a bimbo/ditz who has absolutely no substance academically, which doesn't spell good news for me (because us Asians are supposed to be mega-smart and keep to ourselves all the time, no? :tongue:)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 669
Do the hobbies have any bearing to what halls they put you in?
And what about that question about being in bed before or after 11pm?:confused:

I put after 11pm...swimming, football, rugby.cinema, clubbing!!:wink:

Where will they put me?:redface:
Hmm, I've received an email address with some sort of login username/password. Does this mean I can apply for accommodation now?
Reply 671
Original post by ViralRiver
Hmm, I've received an email address with some sort of login username/password. Does this mean I can apply for accommodation now?

Does it say it's the accommodation email? When I got the email it was very clear it was for accommodation.
Original post by Zottula
Aww thankyou :smile:.

I'm also keen on Imperial for those reasons too! The stereotypical Imperial geeks are exactly my kind of people. Plus I absolutely love really nerdy guys :coma:

No problem Zotty, you sound like a great person

I share your feelings towards nerdy guys :sexface:

I'm a really inadequate nerd unfortunately. I can't fix computers or do mind-boggling computer programming stuff or make hilariously obscure pop culture references or anything like that :frown:

Original post by arianex
I think most of the time they match you up with someone who shares SOME of your interests, but not 100% (to promote the whole diversity thing.) Usually they're very good at getting it right; however, I guess your friend's case does prove it's not a perfect system. ><

In any case, though, if you *do* end up sharing, I hope you get someone decent. :smile: Pretty sure you don't have 5 heads and speak a'la Yoda, so you'll be fine. :wink:

Ah that's good. It is in their interests to make sure we're happy with our roommates, because that can have a huge impact on student satisfaction and welfare, so yeah they should try and do the best job they can.

My friend's case was a funny one, I don't think there was any hatred between the two of them as such, they were just so alien to each other. The ONLY connection we could find between my friend and his old roommate is that they're both Scottish. That sounds like such a typical Londoner thing to do, just think "Oh those two are Scottish, they'll get on fine!" :rofl:

Funny, I worry that my outgoing-ness (I'm rather chatty) will make me look like a bimbo/ditz who has absolutely no substance academically, which doesn't spell good news for me (because us Asians are supposed to be mega-smart and keep to ourselves all the time, no? :tongue:)

I worry about this too... I'm either very chatty and jovial or very spaced out. . Neither of which communicate signs of intelligence.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 673
The ONLY connection we could find between my friend and his old roommate is that they're both Scottish. That sounds like such a typical Londoner thing to do, just think &quot;Oh those two are Scottish, they'll get on fine!&quot; :rofl:

I worry about this too... I'm either very chatty and jovial or very spaced out. . Neither of which communicate signs of intelligence.

Tell me about it. XD
Original post by arianex
Tell me about it. XD

I'm fairly sure I posted that and not "viralriver" lol
Original post by arianex
Tell me about it. XD

Somehow quoted the wrong person there :P .
Reply 676
Somehow quoted the wrong person there :P .

I'm fairly sure I posted that and not &quot;viralriver&quot; lol

I don't know how that came about! xD I quoted you both to make 2 different responses...didn't check as I logged off right after.

Anywho, Viral - WRT your question, no, that's not the email. :tongue: But that'll have all the info (username + CID) you need to log into the application anyway...all you need is to activate the account and set up a password, then you can use it to apply for accommodation.
If you want, I can give you the link to the application form :smile:
Reply 677
Original post by arianex

Haha well it doesn't matter if you act a bit ditzy as everyone is going to know that you're clever anyway. I don't mind people like that at all. I like most people. It's just a case of whether people like me back. I'm getting rather fed up of being considered boring.
Reply 678
Original post by arianex
I don't know how that came about! xD I quoted you both to make 2 different responses...didn't check as I logged off right after.

Anywho, Viral - WRT your question, no, that's not the email. :tongue: But that'll have all the info (username + CID) you need to log into the application anyway...all you need is to activate the account and set up a password, then you can use it to apply for accommodation.

I have my CID so could you send me the link. Username as in UCAS? Thanks
Original post by arianex

Hey :smile: I also got this application tracking email, with a CID, but it didn't seem to be clearly about accommodaton... is there another email I'm meant to be waiting for from Imperial?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending