The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL2 Biology Unit 2 Exam - 26th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by V.I.P
Can somebody please explain the answer to question 3d) in the Jan 2010 paper.

can somebody link the paper?
Original post by V.I.P
Can somebody please explain the answer to question 3d) in the Jan 2010 paper.

Just look at the pattern of the base sequence and see how many are repeated and how many times. For example, after the first Gln which is GTT, we have two TAC and no more after so we then look at the list of amino acids and there are two Met present so TAC codes for Met, etc. etc. etc.
Reply 382
Original post by Reminisce
Just look at the pattern of the base sequence and see how many are repeated and how many times. For example, after the first Gln which is GTT, we have two TAC and no more after so we then look at the list of amino acids and there are two Met present so TAC codes for Met, etc. etc. etc.

Oh I get it thanks! :biggrin: +ve rep. :wink:

Also why i the last one Asn and not Gln?
When DNA replicates in Interphase do the chromosomes replicate as well? I don't understand june 09 4a?
Original post by therapist_1
:smile:Probably just stick to what I have said about viruses, and RBC = Red Blood Cells.

Could you please tell me where have you found this question on antibiotics.:eek:

It was on a test that we did in class last year. The exact question was:

3a) Antibiotics are used to treat bacterial infections but have no effect on viruses.

ii) Suggest an explanation why antibiotics may sometimes usefully be given to patients suffering from a viral disease.

b) Many antibiotics are produced by bacteria or fungi. Suggest an advantage to these organisms of producing antibiotics.

I don't get this one either. Why do bacteria produce substances that could kill them? :confused:
Reply 385
DNA replicates forming two chromatids, and during prophase these condense to form double armed chromosones, which consist of 2 identical chromatids joined by a centromere.
I prefer biology unit 1, I thought it was far more interesting. I enjoyed learning how the diseases affected the body and how the molecules are built up. In Bio 2 though, I find some bits really interesting, like dna replication and genetic diversity but I can't stand the plant section.
This is going to sound stupid because it's something I should obviously know, but I still dont fully understand the relationship between cells, chromosomes, chromatids, genes, DNA etc...

I was told a good analogy a few years ago but I can't remember it too well. It was something like:

Imagine the cell as a library, the chromosomes are the shelfs, the genes are the books, the dna are the words etc...

Is that right??
Reply 388
Original post by should be revising
This is going to sound stupid because it's something I should obviously know, but I still dont fully understand the relationship between cells, chromosomes, chromatids, genes, DNA etc...

I was told a good analogy a few years ago but I can't remember it too well. It was something like:

Imagine the cell as a library, the chromosomes are the shelfs, the genes are the books, the dna are the words etc...

Is that right??

no genes are sections of dna that code for sequence of amino acids so dna would be the book and gene the words
A gene is a section of DNA that codes for a single polypeptide
Original post by Introverted moron

3a) Antibiotics are used to treat bacterial infections but have no effect on viruses.

ii) Suggest an explanation why antibiotics may sometimes usefully be given to patients suffering from a viral disease.

b) Many antibiotics are produced by bacteria or fungi. Suggest an advantage to these organisms of producing antibiotics.

I don't get this one either. Why do bacteria produce substances that could kill them? :confused:

This is blowing my mind.:frown: just 4gt it, it just should not come in the paper...

Original post by therapist_1
This is blowing my mind.:frown: just 4gt it, it just should not come in the paper...

ai) I think antibodies inhibit the enzyme that makes the cell wall so it becomes weaker so it bursts from osmotic lysis. Viruses are strands of DNA so antibiotics won't work as it has no wall.
aii)The virus may infect a cell so the infected cell must be destroyed to erradicate the virus?
b)They reproduce rapidly to higher yield?

The bacteria don't produce substance that could kill them. Scientists genetically engineer them by putting the strand that codes for it in the plasmid. When it replicates, the daughter cells contain the gene to code for it too.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 392
Ribonuclease is an enzyme. It is 127 amino acids long. What is the minimum number of DNA bases needed to code for ribonuclease?

I multiplied 127 by 3 to get 381 but the mark scheme says that the answer can be 381, 384 or 387. Why?

Hmmm, in regards to 3a) ii), on page 224 of the Nelson Thornes textbook it says:

"Antibiotics are sometimes used to treat viral diseases because although they are ineffective against viruses, they may help to prevent the development of secondary bacterial infections to which patients may be vulnerable."

I hope that's all they want you to say otherwise I have no idea. :biggrin:
Original post by SittingOnCornflakes
Hmmm, in regards to 3a) ii), on page 224 of the Nelson Thornes textbook it says:

"Antibiotics are sometimes used to treat viral diseases because although they are ineffective against viruses, they may help to prevent the development of secondary bacterial infections to which patients may be vulnerable."

I hope that's all they want you to say otherwise I have no idea. :biggrin:

That should be it:biggrin: thanks:biggrin::cool:
Dreading this exam :frown:
Original post by lolo-x
Ribonuclease is an enzyme. It is 127 amino acids long. What is the minimum number of DNA bases needed to code for ribonuclease?

I multiplied 127 by 3 to get 381 but the mark scheme says that the answer can be 381, 384 or 387. Why?

start and a stop code
Reply 397
Original post by lolo-x

Inclusion of start and stop codons in the DNA base sequence. As a gene is [Start Codon][Gene][Stop Codon]
Silly question (I know) but I need to be sure...

We dont have to learn what MRSA stands for do we?
Just the example of the whole antibacterial resistance thingy, right?
Reply 399
Original post by TlanTlan
Inclusion of start and stop codons in the DNA base sequence. As a gene is [Start Codon][Gene][Stop Codon]

oh my god i have no idea what a start or stop codon is :s-smilie:
so how come that makes it 384 or 387 as well? surely that would make it 383 :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending