The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL2 Biology Unit 2 Exam - 26th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 700
Original post by liviaaa
By cell differentiation, so only certain genes are switched "on". Not sure how much detail we need to know about that?

It's a two mark question from the chapter 12 assessment in the Nelson Thornes book... i just don't have the mark scheme :[
Reply 701
Original post by ScienceGeek3
A tissue is a group of similar cells working together to perform a specific function.
An organ is a combination of tissues co-ordinated to perform a variety of functions however they often have one predominant function :smile:

Explain how gas is exchanged in insects.

-Air enters through spiracles
-Diffuses down a concentration gradient down trachea and then tracheoles
-Many tracheoles, large surface area
-Respiration maintains conc. gradient
-Tracheles carry air close to every cell in the insect - short diffusion pathway

Name the blood vessels entering and leaving the liver and kidneys.
Reply 702
Original post by Aimo_1
Thanks, how has it doubled btw? Just after DNA Replication?

During S phase of interphase, when the DNA replicates (doubles) :smile:
Reply 703
But the only issue is that the slight difference in the polypeptide chain could for instance cause a change in shape of an enzymes active site, which would mean the substrate of complementary shape can no longer bind and therefore the enzyme would be disfunctional..

yh that is true, but then how would you suggest alleles are part of the same gene because alleles have slightly different polypeptide chains, yet they are part of the same gene, this must mean that the change that creates the allele will give that allele abiltiy to product a different colour yet it would still be the same gene

overall would it be easier to say the defintion of a gene is that it codes for a particular charcetristic to prevent confusion?
Reply 704
Original post by James A
the actualy dna doubles at the interphase along with protein synthesis, not prophase, prophase is where the chromosomes widen and the nuclear envelope disappears , i think.

That's why I said just doubled. As interphase is before prophase. :wink:
Reply 705
Original post by liviaaa
During S phase of interphase, when the DNA replicates (doubles) :smile:

Thank's so much, so whenever it's referring to mass of DNA think about replication?

I'm assuming mass of DNA halves in Telophase because of the cell splitting into two
Reply 706
But the only issue is that the slight difference in the polypeptide chain could for instance cause a change in shape of an enzymes active site, which would mean the substrate of complementary shape can no longer bind and therefore the enzyme would be disfunctional..

also in the example you gave, an allele would therefore not be produced would it
Original post by liviaaa
-Air enters through spiracles
-Diffuses down a concentration gradient down trachea and then tracheoles
-Many tracheoles, large surface area
-Respiration maintains conc. gradient
-Tracheles carry air close to every cell in the insect - short diffusion pathway

Name the blood vessels entering and leaving the liver and kidneys.

Wow, I've never seen a question like that, we need to know specific names of vessels?
Reply 708
Wow, I've never seen a question like that, we need to know specific names of vessels?

The spec says "Names are required only of the cronary arteries and of blood vessels entering and leaving the heart, liver and kidneys."

It was the first Q on one of the previous papers?

Liver - Hepatic Vein/Artery and Hepatic Portal Vein

Kidneys - Renal Vein / Artery
Reply 709
Original post by Aimo_1
Thank's so much, so whenever it's referring to mass of DNA think about replication?

I'm assuming mass of DNA halves in Telophase because of the cell splitting into two

Yes that's right :smile:
Original post by angel1992
yh that is true, but then how would you suggest alleles are part of the same gene because alleles have slightly different polypeptide chains, yet they are part of the same gene, this must mean that the change that creates the allele will give that allele abiltiy to product a different colour yet it would still be the same gene

overall would it be easier to say the defintion of a gene is that it codes for a particular charcetristic to prevent confusion?

Yes that is correct, for example the gene that codes for you eye colour, an allele of this gene that codes for you eye colour will give another colour. So in essence the coded information is very much similar however a gene that codes for brown eyes may have an allele that codes for blue eyes.

The simplest definition for a gene and allele I would learn is that, a gene is a section of DNA that contains the coded information for making polypeptides. And for allele, an allele is an alternative form of a gene.

Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by liviaaa
The spec says "Names are required only of the cronary arteries and of blood vessels entering and leaving the heart, liver and kidneys."

It was the first Q on one of the previous papers?

Liver - Hepatic Vein/Artery and Hepatic Portal Vein

Kidneys - Renal Vein / Artery

Oh wow, must have missed that one, i'll be sure to remember them for tomorrow :biggrin:
Reply 712
Yes that is correct, for example the gene that codes for you eye colour, an allele of this gene that codes for you eye colour will give another colour. So in essence the coded information is very much similar however a gene that codes for brown eyes may have an allele that codes for blue eyes.

The simplest definition for a gene and allele I would learn is that, a gene is a section of DNA that contains the coded information for making polypeptides. And for allele, an allele is an alternative form of a gene.

Hope that helps :smile:

thankyou i think im gonna stick to your definition as it makes it easier to think about because going into too much thought makes it harder to process as i think there can be many exceptions/conventions in genetics for simplifcation.
Reply 713
Oh wow, must have missed that one, i'll be sure to remember them for tomorrow :biggrin:

:smile:

Explain how bacteria may become resistant to more than 1 antibiotic.
Reply 714
Original post by nasira372

Original post by nasira372
Can anyone summarise all they know about oxygen dissociation curves. It covers like 1 page in my textbook but there have been Qs on it every exam paper

In the lungs, there is a high partial pressure of oxyen, and in the respiring tissues, there is a low partial pressure of oxygen.
When there is an increase in CO2, the haemoglobin unloads oxyen more readily to the respiring tissues, therefore the Bohr shift curve moves to the right.
When animals, like llamas for example, live at a high altitude, where there is a limited supply of oxygen, their haemoglobin has a high affinity for oxgen at low partial pressures, so the Bohr shift curve moves to the left.
So, if you are given numbers on the graph in the exam, use them to compare what the percentage saturation of oxygen is at a given partial pressure. For example, at 2kPa of oxygenn, a human may have a 50% saturation of oxygen in their haemoglobin, but at the same partial pressure, a llama might have 85% saturation of oxygen in their haemoglobin.

hope this helps? :smile:
Original post by liviaaa
:smile:

Explain how bacteria may become resistant to more than 1 antibiotic.

The resistance gene may be passed along from one species of bacteria to another species via horizontal gene transmission. The plasmid may also be passed down from one generation to the next via vertical gene transmission.

Explain ways in which variation may occur as a result of meiosis?
Reply 716
What do people think the 6 mark question will be on? :smile:
Reply 718
The resistance gene may be passed along from one species of bacteria to another species via horizontal gene transmission. The plasmid may also be passed down from one generation to the next via vertical gene transmission.

Explain ways in which variation may occur as a result of meiosis?

-Crossing over - different combinations of alleles are made, due to chromosomes swapping alleles, forming bivalents during metaphase.

-Random Segregation - The way inwhich the chromosomes are lined up on the equator during metaphase, causes them to enter 1 cell vs the other.

Diffucluties in defining a species?
Reply 719
Original post by Saraah_x
What do people think the 6 mark question will be on? :smile:

I think it'll either be structure/function of blood vessels (maybe comparisons), ventilation in fish and/or insects or movement of water through plants.

i just hope it'll be an easy question.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending