The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL2 Biology Unit 2 Exam - 26th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by piripiriprincess
I really dislike frogs now!
For the frog Q was it about the frog eggs having a large surface area?

:yep:

...or large surface area to volume ratio.
She said "pens down" and just before that moment i realised it was "large surface area to volume ratio" for that eggs question, i was writing so fast you could see smoke rising from my paper!
Original post by beelz
I'm not making assumptions. Cleverer people have better memories.

Not necessarily, you'd be amazed at how hard clever people work.
Reply 2003
Original post by Mina!SS
I put, the bacteria that survive develop resistence and pass on the resistant DNA to other bacteri by conjugation through horizontal transmission. Then the resistant Dna is passed to the next generation by vertical transmission.
I dont think i'm gona get full marks for that though,, i dont know what the 5th and 6th mark were..

I also put down something about selection and that the non-resistant bacteria would be killed by anti-biotics and then the resistant would be allowed to grow and divide without competition.
Reply 2004
Original post by clairen886
Yeah the highes A boundary I have found has been 55, so 52 sounds reasonable :smile:

I found a document on the AQA website somewhere with the marks required to obtain the different marks for each exam session. For Unit 2 in June last year 69% gave an A.
Reply 2005
for the first question's answer i put chloraplasts and the light sensitive eye thing :s is that wrong?? :| ..cant believe i didnt write cell wall down-_-! x
Reply 2006
Original post by onelessdayofschool
During the exam, the walls started leaking. It was like a flipping WATERFALL onto people's HEADS. Try that for relaxing.

Aha a same, genuinely thought that the world was ending outside of the hall or something with the hail, rain and thunder! Everyone was just laughig though even the invigilators haha :smile:
Reply 2007
Can someone do an unofficial mark scheme thing
to condense all this down

Thanks!!! :smile:
Original post by Emma~
I found a document on the AQA website somewhere with the marks required to obtain the different marks for each exam session. For Unit 2 in June last year 69% gave an A.

The boundary was 54 raw marks not percentage. But that as a % is 64, the whole thing is really confusing :P We can't really predict it lets just hope on the 18th of August :smile:
Reply 2009
Original post by Jim Lee
Do you mean full marks UMS? For this exams its 140 UMS for full UMS. I found this UMS conveter for the exams a few weeks ago, so i can tell you them for the past few papers:

June 2009- 67/85 converts to 140/140 UMS
Jan 2010-64/85 converts to 140/140 UMS
June 2010-73/85 converts to 140/140 UMS
Jan 2011-64/85 converts to 140/140 UMS

I thinks its pretty good how we can drop 21 marks, and still get full UMS marks. I think it will probably be around 68-72 for this exam, but i'm just being pessimistic.

Can anyone please explain this to me - I have no idea what all this UMS marks thing is about!?!!
Reply 2010
The boundary was 54 raw marks not percentage. But that as a % is 64, the whole thing is really confusing :P We can't really predict it lets just hope on the 18th of August :smile:

Is that when the results are out? I am new to all this, so although I know my biology and think the exam went well, I am clueless about result day, UMS or whatever they are called etc etc.
Original post by Emma~
Is that when the results are out? I am new to all this, so although I know my biology and think the exam went well, I am clueless about result day, UMS or whatever they are called etc etc.

Yeah they were last years and they haven't dramatically changed in the years with this spec. On results day you go to school and get a piece of paper with the ums mark on, it may have the raw marks too but I'm not sure :smile:
Reply 2012
Has anyone done an unofficial markscheme thing so i can see all the questions together clearly?
Reply 2013
Original post by SpecialApple
Not necessarily, you'd be amazed at how hard clever people work.

It's hard to do well in subjects like biology without memorising what's in the CGP book; subject teachers give us the knowledge but they don't tell us what you need to write to gain the marks, since AQA are so fussy about the language used, whereas the CGP books tell us exactly what needs to be written.

its incredible how we can only drop 20 marks and still get full ums, what you aiming for ??

the paper was out of 85 and i reckon i dropped around 15 marks which is satisfying :smile:
Somehow I managed to get the percentage increase as 122% ? Stupid thing is, I know how to do percentage increase, I must have just misread the graph. :frown:

what did anyone get for the question about methicillin (i think) and how some kinda enzyme inhibits something...was a little 2 marker...and I didn't even have a clue...
Original post by James A
its incredible how we can only drop 20 marks and still get full ums, what you aiming for ??

the paper was out of 85 and i reckon i dropped around 15 marks which is satisfying :smile:

Thats not that good though because you could loose 1 mark and get the same ums as people who loose quite a few more :s-smilie: I want a high A because this is a re-take and it would be annoying to get worse second time around :P I had a quick count in the last 5 minutes and I think I got at least 50 right but I didn't manage to count all questions. I just made stupid mistakes which I got right in other papers which is really annoying :P What are you hoping for?
Guys.........The Exam is Over............Lets move on.

Ha just read the rest of your post, and that is great :smile: What are you wanting to do at uni?
Thats not that good though because you could loose 1 mark and get the same ums as people who loose quite a few more :s-smilie: I want a high A because this is a re-take and it would be annoying to get worse second time around :P I had a quick count in the last 5 minutes and I think I got at least 50 right but I didn't manage to count all questions. I just made stupid mistakes which I got right in other papers which is really annoying :P What are you hoping for?

same, high A is my expectations, and to be honest, that was a straightforward paper compared to Jan 11 which was so annoying, ( i didnt do it, this jun 11 paper was my first go ), i counted my marks ( as usual lol) during the last 10 minutes are i reckon around 15/14 marks i lost, people are expecting the boundaries to go slightly higher than jan 11, so we'l see, but i reckon its well in the 50's raw marks.

i badly need a high A in this, because i reckon i got a borderline A/B in unit 1 and my isa was only a bang on B :mad:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending