The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys what does immediate vicinity mean? page 156 in nelson thornes book
Thanks in advance :biggrin:
Hope revision is going well :P we still haven't finished bio5 yet :O still got some of chapter 16 to do
how much do we need to get an A or A* ????
Reply 222
Original post by KingMessi
This is the exam I'm most worried about. Need 71% to get an A, very tricky exam.

i need that exact same % too!
soo scared!
going to be tough!
hows revision going
Reply 223
Original post by Jasmine_009
how much do we need to get an A or A* ????

last year around 62 raw marks out of 100 for an A
Original post by animal*nature
Hey guys what does immediate vicinity mean? page 156 in nelson thornes book
Thanks in advance :biggrin:
Hope revision is going well :P we still haven't finished bio5 yet :O still got some of chapter 16 to do

I think it means chemical mediators have an effect straight away on cells they are closest to.
vicinity: area near or surrounding a particular place
immediate: done at once, without delay
Original post by choc1234
i need that exact same % too!
soo scared!
going to be tough!
hows revision going

Yeah, it's going to be hard...

Erm...okay...you?
Thanks "I need to revise " that makes Sense :smile:
I was thinking can we put up written essay questions and Mark each others full answers as im not entirely sure what type of essay would gain full marks or even how Many marks out of Twenty five and we can all agree on here to see what Mark we would give it? :biggrin: Just an idea but I think it would be quite useful ?! :smile:
How long are you all planning to leave for the essay? My teacher said 45 minutes but maybe thats too much?
Just had a look at a Unit 5 paper; it seems alright...
Original post by tehsponge
How long are you all planning to leave for the essay? My teacher said 45 minutes but maybe thats too much?

It said on the markscheme somewhere that you should spend 40mins including planning time.
Very scared about this exam. I'm resitting Biol 4 as well so I don't know what % I need to get an A.. basically the higher the better! (completely flunked biol 4.. ecology doesn't do it for me haha.) I've been doing great in the essay practices in class, but I have used the textbook slightly to review my knowledge. Yet to do one in exam conditions. Lets hope an essay on enzymes or proteins come up, that would be great!
Reply 231
Original post by INeedToRevise

Omg I LOVE you! :grin:
Original post by M.A.
Omg I LOVE you! :grin:

Haha, no problem :smile:
Reply 233
I am glad i got an A in bio4 the first time round, that unit was easily the dullest thing i've ever done, unit 5 is far more interesting, even if the synoptic essay is a right ol' pain.
In our college, we finished the syllabus this friday just gone, 27th may. and we didn't even cover everything in the textbook - hideous teacher.
And as for essays, our teacher doesn't think we need to practice them, just maybe plan 1 or 2. honestly.
obviously everyone has been teaching themselves at home, i've bought the little essay book, but still worried :s-smilie:
i also don't know what %age in need to get an A - i've got 100 in biol1 2 and 4, then 44 in the AS cwork and 41 in A2 i think - again, teacher is just lazy.
Reply 235
A few questions for you all:

Name all the differences between co-ordination by hormones and co-ordination by nerve impulses.

What is an inhibitory and excitatory synapse and what is the effect of agonists and antagonist drugs on the synapse.

Describe the process of transcription and translation in full.

Explain the band theory of muscles.
Reply 236
Original post by TlanTlan
A few questions for you all:

Name all the differences between co-ordination by hormones and co-ordination by nerve impulses.

What is an inhibitory and excitatory synapse and what is the effect of agonists and antagonist drugs on the synapse.

Describe the process of transcription and translation in full.

Explain the band theory of muscles.

QS1) Hormonal=slow,widespread,long-lasting and only effects target organs
Nervous= rapid, specific, short-lived and temporary

QS2) Synapses transmit impulses between two neurones by means of a neurotransmitter.
Inhibitory-decresase or cease the probability of a transmission of an action potential
Excitatory- increase the probability transmission of an action potential
Agonists-mimic action of neurotransmitters
Antagonists-does not mimic action and blocks agonists

QS3) DNA strands are split by DNA helicase. RNA polymerase copies target strand. Introns are removed from pre-mRNA and exons are spliced together. Strand travels out of nucleus and attaches to a ribosome. tRNA carries complimentary anti-codon and corresponding amino acidto ribosome. Ribosome joins triplet bases and amino acids (condensation reaction), polypeptide is synthesised.

QS4) Sliding Filament Theory?
I-Band=actin
A-Band=myosin
During contraction I-Band narrows, Z-lines move closer together and H-Zone narrows.
1.Action potential opens Ca2+ channels on the sarcoplasmic reticulum.
2. Ca2+ cause tropomyosin to move away from binding sites.
3.Ca2+ activate ATPase.
4. With the use of ATP, Actin-myosin cross bridges form and myosin changes angle pulling actin filament along.
5. Cross bridges break and myosin reattaches further along the actin filament.

:smile: I think I have covered it all.

QS: Explain the role and action of transcriptional factors.
Reply 237
Original post by INeedToRevise
It said on the markscheme somewhere that you should spend 40mins including planning time.

you attached a file for questions on the biol5 above . i cant seem to open the file please can you send it to me
Reply 238
can anyone explain restriction mapping to me please
Original post by ben10
you attached a file for questions on the biol5 above . i cant seem to open the file please can you send it to me

Can you not open the rar file? Have you got winrar downloaded onto your laptop/computer?
I will only be able to send it as a rar file because otherwise its too big to send. Download winrar. Locate the file and extract it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending