The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL2 Biology Unit 2 Exam - 26th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kingam

Original post by kingam
can you remember what you got for the DNA hybrid questions dont mind me asking

Was one of the top two, cant remember the names specificly.
Reply 2081
Original post by barzy_j
Are you talking about the one where it said how temperature is used to calculate percentage?

If so, my answer was:

Upon heating, the degree to which the hybrid strands are still linked/as one is measured (this in temp) and is recorded progressively - % can hence be calculated from this and the temps recorded;

for that one i wrote higher temp for more closely related species because more hydrogen bonds more energy needed to break bonds do you think i will get any marks
Original post by Introverted moron
:yep:

...or large surface area to volume ratio.

Sorry i don't understand the answer... Could you please explain it a little more? Like what did you write? I definately got it wrong i think :frown:
Reply 2083
Original post by barzy_j
I can't remember the question in full, did it ask what higher temps suggest? I am sure it says how is temperature used to calculate %.. anyway, the table question, you didn't get tricked did you? The highest % wasn't the two species most closely related because they already were the same species

well thats what i wrote it should be kk i think
Reply 2084
Original post by kingam
well thats what i wrote it should be kk i think

dont think you had to mention the same speices tbh i think they gave us that data to trick us
Reply 2085
Original post by barzy_j
Can I just ask about this frog question, what does a large surface area to volume ratio have to do with anything?

do you think i got any marks for that question you got my panicking lol if i god that wong i am dumb :frown:
Original post by EffKayy
Also i don't know why they give us so many lines to write an answer like that, you could fit it in one line...:confused:

yeah, well you have to make it more into a sentence. for the real thing unit 1 last couple weeks ago i was gonna put bullet points, then i was like naah i'll loose marks because at the front of the paper it says you will be tested on your written communication.

i do see your point, they put many lines incase someone crosses out a wrong answer and wants to write in a empty space.
Original post by barzy_j
Can I just ask about this frog question, what does a large surface area to volume ratio have to do with anything?

large SA:V ratio implies in this question that the eggs will become mostly affected by the water ( osmosis), hence the eggs which break.

a larger egg with a smaller SA:V ratio is less likely to break when in water
Reply 2088
Original post by barzy_j
Which question?

the dna hybrid 3 marker
Reply 2089
Original post by barzy_j
Oh, I was talking about another question.. I can't remember this 3 marker but if that is what you put then yes you have all 3 mark points:

Higher temps means species are more closely related;
More complementary base pairing within hybrid strands;
Hence more hydrogen bons;
As a result, more heat is required to seperate strands, the higher the temp, the more closely related

kk i think you was talkin about that two mark table question lol , and i agree with you taht frog question how is that related to surface area . volume
Reply 2090
Original post by barzy_j
No there was another 2 marker after the table that said something else, but never mind, and no neither do I

i thought the paper was harder than the june 2010 and jan 11 what do you think
Original post by barzy_j
It was, A will be around 60/61

an A for june 2010 was 59.
It won't exceed 60.
Original post by barzy_j

I swear it was similar in difficulty to Jan 11 and that has A at 54...
Reply 2093
Original post by barzy_j

na i think it will be 55 lol
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by yellowpurpleyellow
Sorry i don't understand the answer... Could you please explain it a little more? Like what did you write? I definately got it wrong i think :frown:

Sorry, what question was this? :redface:

I've forgotten the context of my reply and can't be bothered to trawl through the thread to search it out. :tongue:

If it was something about frogs' eggs and pesticides, which I think it was, then a large surface area to volume ratio means that the pesticide diffuses more rapidly into the organism and so, this effect is more pronounced as frogs' eggs are small.

Not entirely sure what the question was, but the answer was probably something along those lines.
Reply 2095
Original post by Reminisce
I swear it was similar in difficulty to Jan 11 and that has A at 54...

jan 11 was easier i think lol less how science work questions
Original post by Introverted moron
Sorry, what question was this? :redface:

I've forgotten the context of my reply and can't be bothered to trawl through the thread to search it out. :tongue:

If it was something about frogs' eggs and pesticides, which I think it was, then a large surface area to volume ratio means that the pesticide diffuses more rapidly into the organism and so, this effect is more pronounced as frogs' eggs are small.

Not entirely sure what the question was, but the answer was probably something along those lines.

I didnt actually include the words SA:V ratio but i think that was worth the first mark was the second mark about more pesticide effecting it, etc? |:
Original post by kingam
jan 11 was easier i think lol less how science work questions

Meh... can't tell/or remember now...

I would hazard a guess that A is 56/57 and full UMS is probably 66/67+...

Edit: saw your edit :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by barzy_j
I just said they were small and not mature - hence more volatile to pesticide or something like that.. and for the evaporation I said the frogs were perhaps more exposed - ahh dear

Do you do A Level Chem by any chance? :p:

I wrote exactly the same as you... had nay clue what to write so brought in collision theory. :frown: Evaporation = less water, so same number of things in less space meaning increased chance of collision. :frown:
Original post by barzy_j
I am in AS yes, and that is actually correct but surely that's over the top from AQA, it was 2 marks

I'm AS too, I just call it A Level. :awesome: Either way, we're starting A2 work soon.

What's over the top from AQA? The whole conc gradient thing? I actually thought it was a reasonable question... I just can't do HSW. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending