The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel Unit 3: The challenges of Revolution in France 1787-1830 discussion thread

Not seen one for this topic yet!

I feel so unprepared for this exam it's ridiculous. Like, if there is a question about "who was driving events, was it the sans-culottes etc?" during 1789-1794 I. will. DIE.

Anyone got any advice for this? How are you all feeling?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Im doing the same one.. its a loooot to learn and the terror + directory are quite hard. Buuut... Napoleon is quite straightforward :wink:

I hope a question about Napoleon betraying the principles of the revolution comes up...
Reply 2
Original post by merrylora
Im doing the same one.. its a loooot to learn and the terror + directory are quite hard. Buuut... Napoleon is quite straightforward :wink:

I hope a question about Napoleon betraying the principles of the revolution comes up...

Ooh, yes. What are you defining the principles of the Revolution as? I'm using the rights stated in the Dec of Rights of Man and the Citizen:

- all men free and equal in their rights
- an end to royal despotism / sovreignity resting with the people
- the right to own property
- the end of feudalism
- freedom of expression and liberty from censorship
- equality before the law

and taking it from there ... :/
This thread shall now be locked until 4:30 am tomorrow morning

The full details are here - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/announcement.php?f=141&a=629

Any exam discussion carries a 10 point Warning.

And good luck guys! :biggrin:
Bit late. Sorry.

And away! :biggrin:
Reply 5
I struggled a bit with the first question about absolute monarchy, in the part of the army didn't quite know what to say. I focused more on the lack of cooperation of the privilege orders, basically arguing that if they approved the taxation reforms then the Estates General would not have to be summed (which gave power to the third state) and thereby the creation of the National Assembly, august decrees, DRMC which led to the collapse de facto of the absolute monarchy. Also talked about the economic crisis, bad harvest and the desire of the rich bourgeoisie to be involved in the politics/ruling of the country.. I hope that's ok...

Part B was quite good actually.. I did the Napoleon question. The sources were straightforward except from the last one which I found a bit tricky
Reply 6
Original post by Mathematical
Ooh, yes. What are you defining the principles of the Revolution as? I'm using the rights stated in the Dec of Rights of Man and the Citizen:

- all men free and equal in their rights
- an end to royal despotism / sovreignity resting with the people
- the right to own property
- the end of feudalism
- freedom of expression and liberty from censorship
- equality before the law

and taking it from there ... :/

Basically the same :smile: Equality, Fraternity and Liberty
Reply 7
I found this exam good! I did the Napoleon question on domestic reforms and the downfall of constitutional monarchy controversy. But I have a few questions.

1) I defined 'conservative' in the Napoleon question as 'not liberal and reactionary' ---> this is exactly what i wrote in my intro.
However, after the exam I looked up the definition of conversative and realised is means 'maintaining traditional valyes', so does this mean I have done it wrong?
My points were:

Economic reform wasn't conservative in intent because it promoted economic growth (new coinage, reorganisation of treasury etc.)
Evaluation: Continental system discouraged british Trade = Conservative

Relgious reform wasn't conservative in intent because it maintained some ideals of the revolution (religious toleration and sale of church land accepted)
Evaluation: Made himself a Saint and Pope signed the concordat whilst Rome was under French army occupation --> conservative because against freedom of speech.

Educational reform can be claimed as not conservative in intent because it was improved, increasing future prospects (eg. Lycees and Imperial Uni)
Evaluation: Most places given to sons of notables and there was a common syllabus = conservative in intent because no fully 'careers open to talent' and no room for variation in syllabus.

Repression was conservative in intent (newspapers reduced, theatres shut etc.) = Conservatvive because not freedom of speech
Evaluation: Architecture wasn't repressed because it was used to present a romantic image of Napoleon = not everything repressed so not wholly conservative

What do you guys think? Is this okay? I mean, I put LOADS of detail in and LOADS of evaluation. In class I always got Level 5 (above 25/30) but I am just worried about my definition. Any thoughts?

2) Did anybody talk about the royal vetoes in the Constitutional Monarchy controversy?

I think it was in source 2, where it said something like 'In June the King didn't want to promote civil war' or something like that? So I linked the Royal Vetoes = a mistake of the King

Any thoughts on any of this? Please quote me! How did everyone else find it?
Reply 8
Not many people doing this unit then? Lol!
Reply 9
Original post by merrylora
I struggled a bit with the first question about absolute monarchy, in the part of the army didn't quite know what to say. I focused more on the lack of cooperation of the privilege orders, basically arguing that if they approved the taxation reforms then the Estates General would not have to be summed (which gave power to the third state) and thereby the creation of the National Assembly, august decrees, DRMC which led to the collapse de facto of the absolute monarchy. Also talked about the economic crisis, bad harvest and the desire of the rich bourgeoisie to be involved in the politics/ruling of the country.. I hope that's ok...

Part B was quite good actually.. I did the Napoleon question. The sources were straightforward except from the last one which I found a bit tricky

Yeah I did this question too, the only thing I had for the army was that some of them helped with the storming of the Bastille.

And word, the third source on part B was very hard :frown: I mentioned the Treaty of Chaumont as being what kept the allies together, no idea if that's what the source was getting at.

Original post by isrox08

1) I defined 'conservative' in the Napoleon question as 'not liberal and reactionary' ---> this is exactly what i wrote in my intro.
However, after the exam I looked up the definition of conversative and realised is means 'maintaining traditional valyes', so does this mean I have done it wrong?

I didn't do this question, but a friend did and he said he put conservative as being like the ancien regime. He checked it out with my teacher afterwards and he seemed OK with it. My guess is you're fine, it is just a form of words.
Original post by isrox08

2) Did anybody talk about the royal vetoes in the Constitutional Monarchy controversy?

I think it was in source 2, where it said something like 'In June the King didn't want to promote civil war' or something like that? So I linked the Royal Vetoes = a mistake of the King

Any thoughts on any of this? Please quote me! How did everyone else find it?

I think as long as you defined your terms you're safe, your definition of conservative doesn't sound too far off the mark anyway. I did the same source question as you. By the veto as a mistake of the king do you mean you put that he had a royal suspensive veto and if he'd really wanted to stop the war happening he could have used it? I think that's fine as an argument as long as you justified it properly and made your meaning clear. Don't panic; I'm sure you did great.

I found the source question pretty good but I found the essay quite difficult. I did the one about the collapse of Absolutism and am worrying because (like you) I think I defined this wrong; I said Absolutism collapsed after the Bastille because the new mayor Bailly took control of Paris, meaning Louis' authority wasn't total, and they started drafting a constitution. But most people seem to have dated its collapse as after the October Days.
Reply 11
Original post by billieerin23
I think as long as you defined your terms you're safe, your definition of conservative doesn't sound too far off the mark anyway. I did the same source question as you. By the veto as a mistake of the king do you mean you put that he had a royal suspensive veto and if he'd really wanted to stop the war happening he could have used it? I think that's fine as an argument as long as you justified it properly and made your meaning clear. Don't panic; I'm sure you did great.

I found the source question pretty good but I found the essay quite difficult. I did the one about the collapse of Absolutism and am worrying because (like you) I think I defined this wrong; I said Absolutism collapsed after the Bastille because the new mayor Bailly took control of Paris, meaning Louis' authority wasn't total, and they started drafting a constitution. But most people seem to have dated its collapse as after the October Days.

Ok, I did think that if I define conservative it'd be okay, but I didnt know if it was more a 'maintaing the ideals of the revolution' kinda conservative!!!

With regards to the Vetoes, I meant the Royal Vetoes of 19 June 1792, where the King vetoed the laws of the Assembly. I citied this as a mistake of Louis' which led to a decline in support as many thought he had too much power. Not sure if thats what the source was getting at, but oh well!!

I didn't read the other essay title but with regards to 'absolutism' -- I agree that drawing up a constitution and the King losing control is a collapse of Absolutism, because his power was undermined and the aim of the constitution was to do away with absolutism -- so don't worry!!! :smile:

What are you aiming for in History?
Original post by isrox08
Ok, I did think that if I define conservative it'd be okay, but I didnt know if it was more a 'maintaing the ideals of the revolution' kinda conservative!!!

With regards to the Vetoes, I meant the Royal Vetoes of 19 June 1792, where the King vetoed the laws of the Assembly. I citied this as a mistake of Louis' which led to a decline in support as many thought he had too much power. Not sure if thats what the source was getting at, but oh well!!

I didn't read the other essay title but with regards to 'absolutism' -- I agree that drawing up a constitution and the King losing control is a collapse of Absolutism, because his power was undermined and the aim of the constitution was to do away with absolutism -- so don't worry!!! :smile:

What are you aiming for in History?

I need an A for both my firm and insurance but I did pretty well at AS so only need a C in this exam for an A overall. But I'm now worrying because I used extra paper for section A but didn't write anywhere which essay it went with are both marked by the same person or could somebody end us not getting sent the end of my essay?
Reply 13
Original post by Tipperary
Yeah I did this question too, the only thing I had for the army was that some of them helped with the storming of the Bastille.

I did the same as you. I said that the army helped with storiming the bastille alongside the San culottes and said that the assembly (which included the privilieged orders) directed the storming of the bastille.
I'm really hoping that's correct.
But then again later, i said that the fact that the monarchy couldnt rely on them anymore was a consequence of other causes such as the financial problems, rather than a cause in the downfall. I'm really worried that i mucked it up by saying that!
:/
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by mr123
I did the same as you. I said that the army helped with storiming the bastille alongside the San culottes and said that the assembly (which included the privilieged orders) directed the storming of the bastille.
I'm really hoping that's correct.
But then again later, i said that the fact that the monarchy couldnt rely on them anymore was a consequence of other causes such as the financial problems, rather than a cause in the downfall. I'm really worried that i mucked it up by saying that!
:/

I said the latter point too, about how the army officers defecting to the sans-culottes' side were maybe motivated by hunger etc. and maybe the nobles no longer trusted Louis because of the terrible financial state he'd left the country in?
Reply 15
I said the latter point too, about how the army officers defecting to the sans-culottes' side were maybe motivated by hunger etc. and maybe the nobles no longer trusted Louis because of the terrible financial state he'd left the country in?

That makes me feel slightly better now. :smile:
We'll just have to see. Do you think the grade boundaries for the exam will be high or low?
Anyone who didn't do Napoleon remember the other question? Hmm hate how they make us choose! such a time-waster!
Original post by mr123
That makes me feel slightly better now. :smile:
We'll just have to see. Do you think the grade boundaries for the exam will be high or low?

I don't know, do we get the same boundaries as the people doing questions on other topics like Germany?
Reply 18
I don't know, do we get the same boundaries as the people doing questions on other topics like Germany?

I don't think so. I think ours is just the same as those doing british history (the other question in the exam).
The thing about the 1789 question was that they didn't make it easy by addressing the causes that you'd expect (as in, the Enlightenment, financial crisis etc.) - I ended up writing paragraphs on different 'groups', as in the army, privileged orders, sans-culottes/members of Third Estate, and the monarchy itself. Then I brought in the long-term/short-term causes where it was relevant for each group. Hopefully that will have been okay!

I think there are loads of different ways these questions can be approached (after all, examiners are instructed to consider things that aren't necessarily on the mark scheme), so hopefully, as long as what's written relates to the question, we should all be fine. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending