The Student Room Group

What is the difference between actus reus and mens rea?

Can someone please tell me the difference between Actus reus and Mens rea In Law ? I can't seem to figure it out... and i have a Law exam soon :frown:
Reply 1
If you have a Criminal Law exam soon and you can't figure out the difference between Actus Reus and Mens rea, you've got some serious cramming to do.

For a GCSE/ALevel exam, here's a VERY BRIEF summaryt:

Actus Reus is the physical element of a crime. It can be in the form of an act, an omission or a state of affairs. It's the actual conduct which caused the crime. (Such as for a battery; the actus reus is the unlawful application of force (touching).

Mens Rea is the mental element of a crime. It's what goes on inside the defendants mind. It can be in the form of direct intention, indirect (oblique) intention or recklessness. (Eg. the mens rea of a battery is is intention or recklessness).

Both are required for a crime, (apart from Strict Liability of fences where no mens rea is required).

Get your book open and learn the cases to go with.

Good luck for the exam.
Original post by ben..brown
If you have a Criminal Law exam soon and you can't figure out the difference between Actus Reus and Mens rea, you've got some serious cramming to do.

For a GCSE/ALevel exam, here's a VERY BRIEF summaryt:

Actus Reus is the physical element of a crime. It can be in the form of an act, an omission or a state of affairs. It's the actual conduct which caused the crime. (Such as for a battery; the actus reus is the unlawful application of force (touching).

Mens Rea is the mental element of a crime. It's what goes on inside the defendants mind. It can be in the form of direct intention, indirect (oblique) intention or recklessness. (Eg. the mens rea of a battery is is intention or recklessness).

Both are required for a crime, (apart from Strict Liability of fences where no mens rea is required).

Get your book open and learn the cases to go with.

Good luck for the exam.

Thankyou, I appreciate it ! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by homousandfalafel
Can someone please tell me the difference between Actus reus and Mens rea In Law ? I can't seem to figure it out... and i have a Law exam soon :frown:

In very brief words: the objective element and the subjective one
Reply 4
Original post by homousandfalafel

Actus reus is latin for "guilty act" and mens rea is latin for "guilty mind".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending