The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2060
Original post by appleschnapps
Yeah, I got overly excited in my diagram making there. IGNORE THE PARTIAL CUTS AT 3 AND 5. :colondollar:

No worries.

I would really appreciate if you could explain part 9b(ii) and (iii) on the spec paper
http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-BIOL5-W-SQP-07.PDF
I am panicking :s-smilie:
Reply 2061
Original post by Cyanohydrin
Sorry, but how do you link this to the specific base sequence?

Sorry, its been a few hours and im tired and a bit panicky, what do you mean by specific? Which specific?
Original post by gunit123
can some1 plz explain the sliding filament theory?

Once a cross bridge is formed, the Myosin heads change angle, pulling the actin fillaments over them as they do so. This shortens the length of the sarcomere and allows the muscle to contract.
Ca2+ then activates ATPase which hydrolyses ATP into ADP and Pi to release energy for the detatchement and reformation of actomysoin cross bridges further along the actin. ( i think)

Or did you want the mechanism?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2064
I have gotten to the point were i literally cant be ****ed to do anymore biology, think I'll have an early night, like 10-11 :]
Are you guys gunna try and do some revision in the morning?
Original post by Boo!xx
I have gotten to the point were i literally cant be ****ed to do anymore biology, think I'll have an early night, like 10-11 :]
Are you guys gunna try and do some revision in the morning?

Yeah, I'm just going to go over a few essays that I've done in the morning. Gon'a sleep around 3ish I think.
Original post by Tericon
Sorry, its been a few hours and im tired and a bit panicky, what do you mean by specific? Which specific?

I have just read the bit in NT where it talks about the fluoresecent dyes used to label the terminator

So in the case of the above..

is it

AATGCTAGC

? :smile:
Reply 2067
in the sliding filament theory do the Ca+ activate ATPase to hydrolyse ADP to ATP or isit hydrolysis of ATP to ADP?
i dont undesrtand the point of the sanger method by adding terminator nulceotides, i know it stops process but what is the point????

Many thanks :P
Original post by Jasx
in the sliding filament theory do the Ca+ activate ATPase to hydrolyse ADP to ATP or isit hydrolysis of ATP to ADP?

the latter.
Original post by Consilio Et Animis
A major resource for the essay. Hope they come in handy to you guys. Good luck! Also have a book (pdf) on writing the essay but it seems too big to attach :frown:

can you email it to me please?
I'll pm my it to you now...

thanks so much in advance.
Reply 2071
Original post by Jin3011
Once a cross bridge is formed, the Myosin heads change angle, pulling the actin fillaments over them as they do so. This shortens the length of the sarcomere and allows the muscle to contract.
Ca2+ then activates ATPase which hydrolyses ATP into ADP and Pi to release energy for the detatchement and reformation of actomysoin cross bridges further along the actin. ( i think)

Or did you want the mechanism?

mechanism please. i do understand when muscle contraction is triggered by an influx of Ca2+ions though.
Original post by NRican
No worries.

I would really appreciate if you could explain part 9b(ii) and (iii) on the spec paper
http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-BIOL5-W-SQP-07.PDF
I am panicking :s-smilie:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=32365141&highlight=

Remember, if you have more than one radioactive fragments, it is including partial digests so the first cut in the sequence will be the smallest radioactive fragment. Then, because the next radioactive fragment is at 4kb, it must be 3+1. :smile:
Original post by gunit123
can some1 plz explain the sliding filament theory?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=32362887&highlight=

Is this okay? :smile:

[Oh ew, double post. Apologies.]
Original post by Jasx

Ca2+ activate ATPase which hydrolyses ATP into ADP and Pi.
You could say the hydrolysis of ATP to ADP but its better to include the finer detail to make sure you get the marks:smile:
Reply 2075
Original post by Cyanohydrin
I have just read the bit in NT where it talks about the fluoresecent dyes used to label the terminator

So in the case of the above..

is it

AATGCTAGC

? :smile:

Yes, that would give you the complementary base sequence, aka the sequence of the strand produced in the PCR.

So original sequence = TTACGATCG :smile:
Original post by Jasx

the calcium binds to the troponin which moves the tropomyosin - allowing the myosin head to leave/bind the actin site...
Reply 2078
Original post by appleschnapps
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=32365141&highlight=

Remember, if you have more than one radioactive fragments, it is including partial digests so the first cut in the sequence will be the smallest radioactive fragment. Then, because the next radioactive fragment is at 4kb, it must be 3+1. :smile:

Thank you for helping me with this btw :smile: Big weight off my mind :smile:
Original post by Tericon
Yes, that would give you the complementary base sequence, aka the sequence of the strand produced in the PCR.

So original sequence = TTACGATCG :smile:

ah of course, thanks :yy:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending