The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IFondledAGibbon
After last year? I wish :/ I'm hoping it's not one heavily dependent on unit 1. Membranes for example :frown:

Strange seeing you here, I honestly thought you were older!

I'm only 18, why did you think I was older. :holmes:

What do you guys guess will be the synoptic I can't be bothered with unlikely questions really, so I'm just going to revise respiration and proteins.
Reply 2221
Original post by NRican
If an essay comes u on cell structure/adaptation - I've got Red Blood cells, Neurone, Muscles, Xylem, Root hairs, Sperm, Rods/Cones.

Any obvious ones I missed out?

I would love that essay to come up.
Or the use of proteins.

I think you've covered the main ones.
I often used to talk about epithellial cells of small intestine (microvilli etc) and of lungs (cillia)
But that's more than enough to fill an essay.
Hmm, just had a quick sweep of the BBC news Science section and these articles seem the most relevant to some of the topics in our spec, just incase anyone's bothering to try and get those extra marks in the essay for content outside of the course.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13778365
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13767255
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13807205
I have decided to give up on further revision after doing one more past paper, and will rest my luck on my genius to pull me through the exam.

Although I doubt that I have even the slightest essence of genius inside of me considering my genius was supposed to prevent me from procrastinating when it didn't.
Reply 2224
wat are the pros and cons of the use of adenoviruses in gene therapy etc??

thanks
Reply 2225
i kno its a fairly basic essay but wat is the plan for uses of protein essay??

obv enzymes etc but wat else??
Original post by Stratos
I have decided to give up on further revision after doing one more past paper, and will rest my luck on my genius to pull me through the exam.

Although I doubt that I have even the slightest essence of genius inside of me considering my genius was supposed to prevent me from procrastinating when it didn't.

Yeah I know what you mean. I could revise for hours over night, but I doubt it would help much.
I really hope something on proteins, enzymes or cell structure comes up tomorrow!
Original post by dents

ion channels, glycoprotein receptors, antibodies. also talk about what a protein is and how it may be synthesised. Mutations. CFTR protein. If you want to add a bit of flair, talk about proteins in health, such as degradation of prion porteins that lead to rare forms of demetia and mad cow disease. Glycophosphatidylinositol seem interesting (did a presentation about them).
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by CathMo
Hmm okay thanks.
I feel I could write well about this unit, but not in depth at all about the other ones.
I managed to get 0 out of 16 for scientific content last year. Do not want that to happen again.

I hope you don't mind me asking but did you feel like you didn't have a clue what you were doing with your essay last year? Just because that's how I see mine going tomorrow. :colondollar:
Reply 2230
Original post by dents

Insulin - glycoprotein recpetors , carrier proteins, Active T etc.

Also shape + function.
my essay is going to be written almost entirely out of BIOL5 content - is this okay?
Reply 2232
Original post by Carpet21
I hope you don't mind me asking but did you feel like you didn't have a clue what you were doing with your essay last year? Just because that's how I see mine going tomorrow. :colondollar:

Umm no I did feel I knew what I was saying. It just didnt do it very scientifically. I got the paper back and actually I had meandered off on a few tangents.
I got
0/16 for scientfic content
3/3 for breadth of knowledge
2/3 for relevance
1/3 for writen communication.
I didn't think I'd done that badly.
Just be really scientifical.
Reply 2233
Original post by UCAS.LOVER
my essay is going to be written almost entirely out of BIOL5 content - is this okay?

Same here.
I think, if it's in depth, you shouldn't be too hard done by, just won't get many marks on the "breadth of knowledge" section, but that's only out of 3.
Reply 2234
Original post by CathMo
Umm no I did feel I knew what I was saying. It just didnt do it very scientifically. I got the paper back and actually I had meandered off on a few tangents.
I got
0/16 for scientfic content
3/3 for breadth of knowledge
2/3 for relevance
1/3 for writen communication.
I didn't think I'd done that badly.
Just be really scientifical.

Can I ask why 0 for Scientific content?
Reply 2235
Original post by CathMo
I have no idea. Got no feedback from the marker.
Guess I just wasn't specific enough and didn't use enough technical terms.

damn that's harsh I can understand 4 or 5 marks but 0.
Note to self - MUST REMEMBER TO USE SCIENTIFIC TERMINOLOGY
hey people one last final question please. When acetylcholinase break acetylcholine what are the products again??
Reply 2237
Original post by NRican
damn that's harsh I can understand 4 or 5 marks but 0.
Note to self - MUST REMEMBER TO USE SCIENTIFIC TERMINOLOGY

We thought it might be a photocopying error and it was supposed to be 10, but my teachers read it and were just like, maybe not, must've just been really harsh examiner.

Yes!! Do it. I shall be doing too (hopefully haha)
Original post by Ramin Gorji
hey people one last final question please. When acetylcholinase break acetylcholine what are the products again??

ethanoic acid and choline.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2239
Original post by Ramin Gorji

choline and ethanoic acid , combined back to AcetylC by ATP.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending