The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2240
Original post by Ramin Gorji
hey people one last final question please. When acetylcholinase break acetylcholine what are the products again??

Acetyl (which is ethanoic acid) and choline
Reply 2241
Original post by Ramin Gorji
hey people one last final question please. When acetylcholinase break acetylcholine what are the products again??

Oh and isn't is acetylcholinesterase
Reply 2242
Original post by CathMo
Oh and isn't is acetylcholinesterase

yep :wink:
Reply 2243
Anyone fancy doing a Q n A?

Original post by Jin3011
ethanoic acid and choline.

Oh and Jin can you link me back to essays you posted earlier please :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2244
our teacher predicted a synoptic essay on lipid, does anyone know what to write for that, i.e topics i could write about?
Reply 2245
Original post by CathMo
We thought it might be a photocopying error and it was supposed to be 10, but my teachers read it and were just like, maybe not, must've just been really harsh examiner.

Yes!! Do it. I shall be doing too (hopefully haha)

Woahhh I wasn't that worried about the synoptic essay but knowing that you can get 0 now is making me very scared! Not good getting a fright about 8 hours before the exam lol... How can they give you 0? I really thought a 4/5 is a given pretty much!
Reply 2246
Oh and do we need to know any specifics on making use of DNA cloning and technology in terms of plants and animals(disease resistant etc) ? Or will it be applied questions?
Original post by NRican
Anyone fancy doing a Q n A?

Oh and Jin can you link me back to essays you posted earlier please :biggrin:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1592940&page=94
lol these are really mediocre essays done about 3 months ago.
Reply 2248
Original post by irn_bru
Woahhh I wasn't that worried about the synoptic essay but knowing that you can get 0 now is making me very scared! Not good getting a fright about 8 hours before the exam lol... How can they give you 0? I really thought a 4/5 is a given pretty much!

Oops sorry. Didn't mean to scare you. I'm sure I was just being waffley.
It was "Causes of Disease in Humans"
After reading it back I realised I'd talked about phagocytosis etc and that has nothing to do with it (not really anyway)
Just think about what the question says, what is relevant, and throw in as much terminology as you can!
Original post by SarahTM
All nighter anyone? :biggrin:

I would suggest you to have a good sleep ,this way atleast you will be able to think logically. I speak with experience, I screwed my maths exams last jan. I went in for exam and when I came out I did not remember any question and the solution I worked to discuss with my m8s. I wish you and all the fellow biologist luck with the exam tomorrow.
How many pages do people normall write. I tend to OTT all the time and start waffling around the actual question.
Reply 2251
Original post by 04bellot
our teacher predicted a synoptic essay on lipid, does anyone know what to write for that, i.e topics i could write about?

I have a book with 20 sample essays, and theres a title Lipids in health and disease which includes the following:
Triglycerides (formed by condensation of glycerol and 3 fatty acids)
Thermal insulators (so help in maintaining body temperature by homeostatis)
As fuels (Hydrolysis of triglycerides by lipase enzymes releases fatty tissues which can be converted to respiratory substrates such as glucose in the process gluconeogenesis)
Obesity (atheroma, myocardial infarction, risk factor in diabetes)
Phospholipids (Fluid-mosaic model, hydrophilic heads, hydrophobic tails)
Cholesterol (adds strength to membrane)
Myelination of neurons (important in acceleration of nerve impulses).
:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
what time are people staying up to?
Original post by 123trident

I've still yet to revise for my stats exam, so I guess it an all nighter for me:biggrin:
Reply 2254

2am
Original post by Jin3011
I've still yet to revise for my stats exam, so I guess it an all nighter for me:biggrin:

Cool, ill stay up with you till like 2, you got ocr mei stats 2 exam tommorow? I got that too.
Original post by irn_bru
I have a book with 20 sample essays, and theres a title Lipids in health and disease which includes the following:
Triglycerides (formed by condensation of glycerol and 3 fatty acids)
Thermal insulators (so help in maintaining body temperature by homeostatis)
As fuels (Hydrolysis of triglycerides by lipase enzymes releases fatty tissues which can be converted to respiratory substrates such as glucose in the process gluconeogenesis)
Obesity (atheroma, myocardial infarction, risk factor in diabetes)
Phospholipids (Fluid-mosaic model, hydrophilic heads, hydrophobic tails)
Cholesterol (adds strength to membrane)
Myelination of neurons (important in acceleration of nerve impulses).
:smile:

Yh, I've got that book as well. It seems to go into a bit too much detail on everything. I doubt I could write that much in 30-40 mins as well. But apart from that its great for revamping knowledge on forgotton AS stuff.
Cool, ill stay up with you till like 2, you got ocr mei stats 2 exam tommorow? I got that too.

Damn OCR and their stupidness. I've got the non-Mei exam:smile:
Have you done much revision for it? I seem to be taking biology as my top priority when I know I need to do well in stats after I messed up C4 lol.
Reply 2258
Original post by Biologyman
Read the questions properly. - You don't understand how easy it is to lose marks because of this. Don't jump to conclusion until you've read the whole question.

Use as many scientific keywords as you can. - In Biology surprisingly most of the marks are awarded for using keywords even if you have no idea what a process is you can still score marks just by putting some relevant keywords in if you can remember them. I often put them in brackets after a process or in bullet points if I forget to include them whilst writing an answer.

Don't waste time repeating the question.

If it's a 2 mark question just bullet point 2 or more things for it you think are likely to get you marks and remember key terms! You can't be penalised for putting down more points than are available but just remember not to waste too much time. As long as it specifically does not say list TWO or THREE write as many down as you can think of.

Good luck :biggrin:

I've heard about key words but i dont know how to find them, could you help me?
Reply 2259
How are people timing the exam? Sorry if iys already been asked....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending