The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Benevolence
Good work guys :wink: I said some of those things also. What are we thinking for grade boundires?

Essentially';

140/140 UMS = ???? It was 76/100 last year
A = ?

I'm gonna take a guess at 50% being a B, if so, then an A is roughly 57 and full UMS at 71ish.
It seems that a lot of people found this exam really hard so i don't see an A being higher than 60 :smile:
Original post by beckyf10
I did the DNA essay! Reading through this thread it looks like few people did...

I did cycles :smile: couldnt think where i'd get my marks for breadth with the DNA technology being as we only did that in unit 5...

I wrote about the menstrual cycle, cell cycle, homeostatic control, blood glucose control, heart rate and blood pressure control, negative and positive feedback, cyclic photophosphorylation, calvin and krebs cycle, the nitrogen cycle, the carbon cycle, ATP --> ADP + Pi and cycling of blood around the body :smile:
any chance someone could cook up an unofficial mark scheme?! :redface:
Reply 2963
Original post by Scaudwell
It was quite nice getting "It's the circle of life" into my essay on cycles.

dammmm thats a wicked phrase to put in .. wouldve been a excellent ending .. if only i had thought of that. good one :smile:
Reply 2964
I enjoy it when I spend ages revising the whole syllabus, for AQ ****ing A to miss out about 70% of it on the exam. Colossal waste of my time! Why give siRNA two whole exam pages when you could ask about the nervous system, muscular contractions, stuff that is more than one line in the syllabus...
They also had some cheeky unit 4 in question 9. But WHERE WAS UNIT FIVE?

What did people put for 'what did scientists mean by "very large"? And for the question on papayas, yuk!
Original post by ILurfSmurf
any chance someone could cook up an unofficial mark scheme?! :redface:

I second this!!! :biggrin:
Original post by Betsss
I should have dropped history. It was SO hard... :frown:

I did at A2 after starting. I think it made my other grades worse as it took so much time ! coursework and loads of content and no revision guide
Reply 2967
Original post by keds1

What did people put for 'what did scientists mean by "very large"? And for the question on papayas, yuk!

I would also very much like to know that ... i had not a bloody clue ... dont very large mean like very very big?
Reply 2968
Original post by gorillaz121

Original post by gorillaz121
i'm gonna take a guess at 50% being a b, if so, then an a is roughly 57 and full ums at 71ish.
It seems that a lot of people found this exam really hard so i don't see an a being higher than 60 :smile:

a* = 57/100 pleaaaaaaaaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Original post by keds1
I enjoy it when I spend ages revising the whole syllabus, for AQ ****ing A to miss out about 70% of it on the exam. Colossal waste of my time! Why give siRNA two whole exam pages when you could ask about the nervous system, muscular contractions, stuff that is more than one line in the syllabus...
They also had some cheeky unit 4 in question 9. But WHERE WAS UNIT FIVE?

i put they were refering to the section of 2000 base pairs and unknown section of DNA, but hell, i've probably got that wrong too.
I did LOADS of revision and that exam was just completely unrepresentative...
Original post by neo-apollo
i put they were refering to the section of 2000 base pairs and unknown section of DNA, but hell, i've probably got that wrong too.

I put that :biggrin:
Reply 2971
Original post by SarahTM
Yes :biggrin:
Although I won't be 18 for another week after that... I'm the baby of the year :tongue:

Unless i've forgotten how to use a calender then im pretty sure you'll be 18 before results day so no worries.
Im the exact opposite, early september
Reply 2972
Original post by Gemma2010

Original post by Gemma2010
I did at A2 after starting. I think it made my other grades worse as it took so much time ! coursework and loads of content and no revision guide

haha i know what you mean!! i do OCR and the coursework/personal study was so time consuming!
Reply 2973
Original post by HarryHH
I would also very much like to know that ... i had not a bloody clue ... dont very large mean like very very big?

I panicked and put 2000bp.
I'm trying to decipher which question is worse, that one or from unit four last year 'white cats are blind. How does the hardy wineberg principle hold true for this?'
still haunts me..
Original post by teddyWS
but lizards dont sweat? :s-smilie: if anything doesn't more intake of oxygen=higher rate of respirationn=more heat produced? :confused:

nah I was talking about the other question
for this question I put exactly what u put
Original post by jamest92
Unless i've forgotten how to use a calender then im pretty sure you'll be 18 before results day so no worries.
Im the exact opposite, early september

Nopes, my birthdays the 26th August :pinch:
Reply 2976
Original post by neo-apollo

ikr! I had spent aaaaaaaaaages the night before doing the whole of nelson thornes chapter 16 and chapter 10 as they were the biggest, but nothing. Well except for restriction mapping, the ONE topic I didn't understand.

What did everyone put for lizards?
I put it was losing heat by evaporative water loss or respiration, something like that... tried to cover all my bases. Its like the equivalent of extra sweating.
Reply 2977
how on earth was I meant to know that lizards dont sweat !!??!!
Original post by keds1
ikr! I had spent aaaaaaaaaages the night before doing the whole of nelson thornes chapter 16 and chapter 10 as they were the biggest, but nothing. Well except for restriction mapping, the ONE topic I didn't understand.

What did everyone put for lizards?
I put it was losing heat by evaporative water loss or respiration, something like that... tried to cover all my bases. Its like the equivalent of extra sweating.

you mean the iguana's panting? i put something about movement of an external medium maintains a high gap in temperature and so ensures rapid radiation of heat, and an increased surfacearea to volume ratio over which to lose heat.
Reply 2979
Original post by SarahTM
Nopes, my birthdays the 26th August :pinch:

Yeah just realised you meant after results day, thought you meant from today :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending