The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Macroverse
Hey guys I've got a mark scheme for 'Cycles in biology' from a past AQA paper, it's in four sections and you've got to mention one of each for the breadth.

Ecological cycles - nitrogen cycle (individual species are not required); carbon cycle (role of species making it available again)
Metabolic cycles - krebs cycle; electron transport chain; synthesis and breakdown of ATP; LIR
Physiological cycles - negative feedback mechanisms; cardiac cycle; muscles; nerve function
Life cycles - mitosis/cell cycle; meiosis; DNA replication; predator/prey

I didn't do this one though, if I was 6 UMS of an A at AS what do I need in both my A2 exams to get an A? I got an B/A for the A2 coursework on last years boundaries (: If the grade boundaries are lower how does this affect the overall target for an A? Thanks!

Wow! Thankyou! Thanks for the effort :smile: That is reassuring :smile:
Reply 3341
Original post by lou12
Thats exactly what i wrote. i think we'll get the marks. :smile:

hey i realy hope so
how do you think the paper went for you overall
how may marks do u thinkn you have>
i reckon i got about 55 ish out of 100
i think i may have just missed an A :frown:
i needed around 105 ums in this or no uni :frown: :frown:
Reply 3342
Original post by Benevolence
Wow! Thankyou! Thanks for the effort :smile: That is reassuring :smile:

was it you who said i couldnt get 25 marks or say 24
why was that again?
good luck for results everyone. lord knows i need it.
Reply 3344
Original post by w04andia
good luck for results everyone. lord knows i need it.

i need it the most lol
how did it go for you
Original post by choc1234
was it you who said i couldnt get 25 marks or say 24
why was that again?

Nope :smile: Wansn't me :smile: Why, what was your essay like?
Reply 3346
Nope :smile: Wansn't me :smile: Why, what was your essay like?

oh i just posted it above
could u take a look please
thankss :smile:
This exam was so random.
Damn you pupa!
Reply 3348
Original post by Jin3011
This exam was so random.
Damn you pupa!

it was AWFUL!
My teacher showed us a 25 mark essay that the chief examiner showed them at a teaching meeting thingy and to get full marks ideally you need to mention something outside the course that is relevant so like the mice in USA, just like a small paragraph. Did anyone do any diagrams in theirs?

Glad to help anyway (:
hey in my essay i included
cardiac
krebs
calvin
muscles
carbon
nitrogen
cell cycle
predator prey
homeostasis
ostrous
in alot of detail i think 9 /10 pages
is it possible to get 25 cus i really need it to make up for the 0 marks i got on the questions
also i didnt include anything outside the spec

WOW! You're breadth is most certainly there! Within the constraints of the syllabus anyway :P

How did you manage to wright that many pages? How long did you spend on it?
My teacher showed us a 25 mark essay that the chief examiner showed them at a teaching meeting thingy and to get full marks ideally you need to mention something outside the course that is relevant so like the mice in USA, just like a small paragraph. Did anyone do any diagrams in theirs?

Glad to help anyway (:

I did a diagram illustrating the carbon cycle to make it a bit easier to explain.

Glad to help anyway (:

Damn, for my cycles essay all I just mentioned were hyena and antelopes running after each other lol as an attempt to put something outside of the course.

The ones I had were,
Respiration
Photosynthesis
Nitrogen
Carbon
Cell cycle
H20 cycle
PCR
ATP
Predator-prey
And included lots of scientific terminology.
I did put the oestrous in my plan, so maybe I'l get credit for that. But I'm defo confident I got >20 for the essay. Can't say the same for the questions however:frown:
Original post by Jin3011
Damn, for my cycles essay all I just mentioned were hyena and antelopes running after each other lol as an attempt to put something outside of the course.

I was refering to Benevolence who thanked me when I wrote 'glad to help'. Some people might find that reassuring, I would like something like that for one of my exams.......
Reply 3354
hey i realy hope so
how do you think the paper went for you overall
how may marks do u thinkn you have>
i reckon i got about 55 ish out of 100
i think i may have just missed an A :frown:
i needed around 105 ums in this or no uni :frown: :frown:

ive done awful. think ive only got like 40! it all depends on the essay though. i need a D in this and then i can get a B overall. i need AAB for uni and they dont mind what subject the B is in.
I was refering to Benevolence who thanked me when I wrote 'glad to help'. Some people might find that reassuring, I would like something like that for one of my exams.......

ok:redface:
i am so stupid sometimes, i really didn't think hard enough for my essay!! especially missing out the cell cycle with mitosis and meiosis!!!! haha ah well good luck everyone for results day!
Reply 3357

Glad to help anyway (:

ohh :frown:
even if all the essay is really detailed with good scientific terms that we didnt have to actually know in the syylabus if you know what i mean?
:frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3358
WOW! You're breadth is most certainly there! Within the constraints of the syllabus anyway :P

How did you manage to wright that many pages? How long did you spend on it?

about 1 hour
maybe should of spent more time on the questions :frown:
do u think i could get around 23 for not having non-syllabus stuff?
ohh :frown:
even if all the essay is really detailed with good scientific terms that we didnt have to actually know in the syylabus if you know what i mean?
:frown:

If you use all the 'proper' or fancy terms you get more points in accuracy but you won't get penalised if you use the word in the syllabus, it is like if you mention rubisco in photosynthesis. Most of these extra things are in the Biological Sciences magazine written by the chief examiner but you won't lose marks so don't worry (: It's just if you want the extra marks to get 25/25. Personally, I forgot in the exam to mention stuff outside the syllabus ): stupid!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending