The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Seasick Steve
That's as bit strong isn't it? If you care so much why are you even bothering posting on here? The really sad thing is you apparently getting so worked up about it...:confused:

How am I getting worked about it?
I'm just saying my opinion jheez......Someone has to say it.....Also, how the heck is this harsh? It's not like I typed in caps locks or swore....God sake.....Wake up and look at the world around you and then come back and tell me I was harsh. :s-smilie:
Bio-Fight ^^:ahee:
Original post by Jin3011
Bio-Fight ^^:ahee:

Lol. :laugh:
Original post by Master.K
How am I getting worked about it?
I'm just saying my opinion jheez......Someone has to say it.....Also, how the heck is this harsh? It's not like I typed in caps locks or swore....God sake.....Wake up and look at the world around you and then come back and tell me I was harsh. :s-smilie:

Just saying, this is from someone who posted on the chemistry discussion thread as little as 72 hours ago about what the markscheme would and would not accept as an answer.
Original post by Master.K
1) That was ages ago when my exams weren't over.
2) That's not discussing the paper, but it's called helping someone out.
3) It shows you're such a low life that you had to research into my posts.
4) Get a life.

@ 3) - I sat the same exam, so any updates on that thread I will have read. Trust me, I'm not so pathetic that I'll look through your past posts.

And yeah, you're probably right, I will do something more constructive than sit at my computer screen on this lovely afternoon, griping at someone many miles away whom I've never met before...
(edited 12 years ago)
@ 3) - I sat the same exam, so any updates on that thread I will have read. Trust me, I'm not so pathetic that I'll look through your past posts.

And yeah, you're probably right, I will do something more constructive than sit at my computer screen on this lovely afternoon, griping at someone many miles away whom I've never met before...

Whatever helps you sleep at night....
Just saying, this is from someone who posted on the chemistry discussion thread as little as 72 hours ago about what the markscheme would and would not accept as an answer.

chem5 MS is it out??:eek:
Original post by al_habib
chem5 MS is it out??:eek:

No, sorry, I meant past chem5 mark schemes :smile:
For the cycles essay question I can't understand why people are so happy with mentioning 8-10 cycles that were barely covered in any detail over the course. The essay title wasn't just 'cycles in biology' it was 'how the products in one cycle are used in the next cycle'. I can't see too many people paying attention to this though, when they keep mentioning predator-prey, muscles (is that really a 'cycle'), cardicac etc.
Reply 3469
Original post by danny1312
For the cycles essay question I can't understand why people are so happy with mentioning 8-10 cycles that were barely covered in any detail over the course. The essay title wasn't just 'cycles in biology' it was 'how the products in one cycle are used in the next cycle'. I can't see too many people paying attention to this though, when they keep mentioning predator-prey, muscles (is that really a 'cycle'), cardicac etc.

all cycles are discussed in alot of detail in the course actually. also even if people didnt relate back to how products in one cycle are used in the next how many marks are they really going to lose for SCIENTIFIC CONTENT (which is out of 16!). so the only marks really lost are the RELEVANCE which is out of 3!. i mentioned 10 cycles and wrote 10 pages for detailed explanaation and my teacher said i should therefore get 16 on the scientific content where the bulk of the marks are. :smile:
Does anyone know when the mark scheme for this exam, and in fact for all A Level exams, will be published?

:grin:
Original post by Freddo:)
Does anyone know when the mark scheme for this exam, and in fact for all A Level exams, will be published?

:grin:

Probably in Oct/Nov/Dec time.
Original post by danny1312

I agree!!
glad someone thinks this too :smile:
Original post by coffee345
I agree!!
glad someone thinks this too :smile:

Yep I agree too, a few people from my college simple read the question as 'cycles across biology'. Admittedly I put predator-prey relationship of an antelope and hyena(:cool:) then wrote that the dead carcas leftover by hyenas is digested by saprophytes. Went on to talk about the carbon cycle then. Then mentioned that the co2 relesed by saprophytes was untimately from the the carbon that had been assimilated by the plants by photo.syn; which had then been eaten by the antelopes. In the last 5 minutes I just panicked and started talking about the cell-cylcle and PCR. Probably lose two marks for relevance though:tongue:
Reply 3474
Original post by Jin3011
Yep I agree too, a few people from my college simple read the question as 'cycles across biology'. Admittedly I put predator-prey relationship of an antelope and hyena(:cool:) then wrote that the dead carcas leftover by hyenas is digested by saprophytes. Went on to talk about the carbon cycle then. Then mentioned that the co2 relesed by saprophytes was untimately from the the carbon that had been assimilated by the plants by photo.syn; which had then been eaten by the antelopes. In the last 5 minutes I just panicked and started talking about the cell-cylcle and PCR. Probably lose two marks for relevance though:tongue:

i understand what ur saying but surely thats the ONLY marks youcan lose the relevance ones and thats only like 2 or 3 marks. even if you didnt relate to the product of one cycle being used in another, you cant possibly lose marks in the scientific content, breadth or Qowc ...am i right in saying?
Reply 3475
really praying 56 is deffo an A !!!!
I'm not saying that if you've wrote about 10 cycles you won't have done slightly better or the same, but i can't see people writing about 10 cycles getting 16 marks and those writing about 4/5 correct cycles where the products are then used in another cycle getting less because they've only wrote about half the number of cycles. Surely 10 cycles doesn't equal 16 marks, i doubt it just works like that. And also I'm not saying people who wrote extra cycles will get penalized for that
Reply 3477
has a copy of this paper been released yet? or does anyone have a sneaky copy :wink: would be interesting just to go over it again and remind myself of the questions
low grade boundaries FTW!!
You need to cover 3 different aspects of the course to get 3 marks for relevancy, and scientific content comes from the detail of these - all the biology teachers in my college made this clear :P :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending