The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by twig
About STEP, what modules would you recommend for someone looking to tackle the applied questions (as I see this is what you are especially good at...)? What modules have you learnt so far to tackle them? For me, it is the opposite: having only done m1/s1, I have not looked ANY applied questions, except an easy mech or a combinatorics questions (where you can just "make up" a method as you go along...). In contrast for the pure qs, I just learnt the techniques/content from a a-level book, then dived into the step qs without much a-level qs practice, and it was not too bad. e.g. for binomial series, you could do all the relevant qs without studying it at all, just from the formula book:biggrin:.

Because of the negligance of the applied qs (and stupid exam pressure/panic), I think I might miss the 1 in STEP I this year...:frown:.

1. The reason that almost all my solutions are applied ones is partially because I like them and partially because people have already done the pure ones. However, I think I am probably better at the applied ones.
2. I am not an authority on anything STEP so you should take what I say with a pinch of salt.
3. I have only officially done S1 and M1 (+Physics alevel) but I like to read around.
4. Don't sweat the STEP 1 thing. I recall that a few years back, a guy got a 2 in STEP I in year 12 and put it on his UCAS form (I think it was either Glutamic acid or Around). He is currently doing maths at Cambridge.
I wanna apply for Cambridge
5A*'s 4A's 3B's at GCSE
Doing Maths, Further Maths, Further additional maths, Physics and Chemistry at AS but gonna drop either Chem or physics at A2
got 94/100 in C1 85/100 in M1 and 97/100 in S1 in January

Also read Flatland, the theoretical 2D world from the perspective of a native square XD its pretty funny
Original post by TheJ0ker
I wanna apply for Cambridge
5A*'s 4A's 3B's at GCSE
Doing Maths, Further Maths, Further additional maths, Physics and Chemistry at AS but gonna drop either Chem or physics at A2
got 94/100 in C1 85/100 in M1 and 97/100 in S1 in January

Also read Flatland, the theoretical 2D world from the perspective of a native square XD its pretty funny

Further additional maths :O Didn't even know that existed.
Original post by laughylolly
Further additional maths :O Didn't even know that existed.

Its strictly reserved for people who like maths an unhealthy amount :colone:

haha no its ok, not much different from further maths.
Original post by TheJ0ker
Its strictly reserved for people who like maths an unhealthy amount :colone:

haha no its ok, not much different from further maths.

Oh ok, that must be a lot of maths though! I do Scottish Highers, we just have one Maths subject. Makes things a little easier.
Reply 665
Original post by twig
Why the drastic change? (Just asking as someone who is yet to decide...)

u went to some trouble looking for my other post and quoting both...nice :colone: drastic change? well it wasnt that drastic....ive been swinging both ox and cam for some time...until I realised TRIPOS is the best maths course...FACT! my cam exp was interesting...although the differance maybe little in the oxford course and cambridge...the TRIPOS is seen more challenging and at a higher level.

btw....i found it wierd how u seem to quote a comment a long time bk.....i dont mind u tracking me....but a bit too much will result in me firing my 9 millie and putting u in the news at 10 :biggrin: just saying....keep the stalking bad boy acting to urself :smile:
Original post by Rahul.S
u went to some trouble looking for my other post and quoting both...nice :colone: drastic change? well it wasnt that drastic....ive been swinging both ox and cam for some time...until I realised TRIPOS is the best maths course...FACT! my cam exp was interesting...although the differance maybe little in the oxford course and cambridge...the TRIPOS is seen more challenging and at a higher level.

btw....i found it wierd how u seem to quote a comment a long time bk.....i dont mind u tracking me....but a bit too much will result in me firing my 9 millie and putting u in the news at 10 :biggrin: just saying....keep the stalking bad boy acting to urself :smile:

Your trolling is starting to bore everyone here. Come up with a new act.
Do you think its possible to intensively prepare for MAT and in turn significantly increase your score ?
Reply 668
Original post by hassi94
Your trolling is starting to bore everyone here. Come up with a new act.

u call this trolling? :s-smilie: this is me just stating facts.

btw stop chatting BULL****. set me your address....i will show you how to troll :colone:
Reply 669
Original post by maths134
Do you think its possible to intensively prepare for MAT and in turn significantly increase your score ?

They try and say that you can't but I would imagine that yes you can.
Reply 670
Original post by maths134

Any exam can be prepared for. In this case, just do a lot of maths.
Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle

GCSE: 11 A*
AS levels: Maths, FM, Physics, Latin, Greek
Considering: Cambridge, USA
Prep: I'm not sure if this counts as uni preparation but the maths I am currently doing is every past bmo2 question and some imo. I'm also doing every step i paper (this is now complete) + general reading
Any idea what the best calculator for studying maths at university is??? :biggrin:
Original post by BeccaCath94
Any idea what the best calculator for studying maths at university is??? :biggrin:

For maths modules: none. At least at Warwick I don't use a calculator. It's not allowed in exams anyways.
For Stats/Business/Economics modules: just the average A Level one eg Casio fx-83/85MS (I hate the ES)
Reply 674
Original post by TheTallOne
For maths modules: none. At least at Warwick I don't use a calculator. It's not allowed in exams anyways.
For Stats/Business/Economics modules: just the average A Level one eg Casio fx-83/85MS (I hate the ES)

What you never need a calculator for a maths degree?
Original post by Nathan_oH

Unlikely. The exams will be non-calculator, like STEP.

Nope.
Reply 677
Original post by TheTallOne

you are bad at life

EDIT: you're not really bad at life
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by around
you are bad at life

Well... that's nice.
I thought mathematicians were renowned for their encyclopedic knowledge of social etiquette....
Original post by around
you are bad at life

EDIT: you're not really bad at life

Haha :p:
Original post by ben-smith
Well... that's nice.
I thought mathematicians were renowned for their encyclopedic knowledge of social etiquette....

That is certainly a true statement.

Latest