The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gcw1216
Hi guys~I'm planning to apply for Cambridge and I've just completed my AS Level. I was told that we needed extended project as part of our application to Cambridge but I'm still pretty much clueless about this thing. Does anyone know where can I get any examples or references for this thingy? I just wanna see roughly what is it all about because I was only told by my teacher to do research on my chosen topic-transgender and that's all. I have to write a 5000 words long essay but I still don't know where to start my research!!! This is "desperately" urgent!!! Thanks million lots to whoever my saviour is!!!:smile:

p/s: sorry if there's any error in my grammar :tongue:

you don't need it - its just good to have it. But it largely depends on the subject content and how this looks relative to the rest of your PS. E.g. my friend did one on a chess engine (applied for CompSci) which they picked up on asked him some questions.
Ok, coming from someone who has done an Extended Project and applied to Cambridge (I was pooled then rejected - see my sig) I can honestly say for a number of reasons I am glad I did it!

For a start Cambridge themselves say that the Extended Project WILL NOT be a part of any offer, and certainly I'm sure there are people with offers who did and didn't do an Extended Project - I can't imagine in many cases past interview stage it was a dealbreaker.

However, what Cambridge are looking for is evidence that you have gone above and beyond the A-Level (or otherwise) syllabus in your chosen subject, and it's even more important in cases such as Law where you may not have done an A Level in the subject since it shows you know what the subject entails.

However, the main reason you should be doing an Extended Project is not because someone has told you you have to or that it would help, more that you enjoy your subject enough to want to do further research into it! :smile:

Sorry for the long post, but what I really wanted to say is that do an Extended Project if you want to - I really enjoyed mine and feel it definitely added something to my application, but it's definitely not a sure fire way to getting an offer - though it won't do your application any harm!

Just a side note - in my interview (I only had one), I was told at the very beginning I wasn't going to be asked about myself in any way really, more that it would be a philosophical discussion so don't expect in interview necessarily to be asked about it although obviously this depends on the course, college and particular interviewers!

Hope this helped and if you have any more questions about the Extended Project or applying for Cambridge just message me :smile:
Original post by olibishop
Personally, I put my offer from Oxford down to doing this. They seemed interested about it in all the interviews, asked lots of questions etc.

What exactly is your topic? Remembering back, I recall that it has to be analytical so you couldn't just describe effects, experiences etc.

I don't think that's a safe conclusion to draw. At interviews they usually customise questions according to what work you've submitted and which things they know you've studied or done. If you hadn't done the extended project, they would simply have questioned you on other information or work you'd submitted and your personal statement.
I don't think its ever wise for a person to look back at their own application and guess what 'the reason' was for their success, or indeed, their failure. There are so many factors at work in admissions, that you can never know what it was that colleges based their decisions on. Many factors come into play, and if you try and pick on one feature and generalise that you're just going to get people worried for nothing, or risk giving incorrect advice.

It would be very unfair for Oxford and Cambridge to give an advantage to people who had done an extended project, since not everyone has the opportunity to do this. Judging from all the feedback in this thread, it seems a sensible conclusion that doing the project can't hurt if you have the opportunity and feel confident about doing it well. Universities will see it as a good thing, but not a crucial deciding factor by any means. However if the OP is uncertain about balancing the project with other subjects and doing well in everything, then it might be sensible not to take it on, since there will be no disadvantage in not doing it.
Reply 1903
I've just finished year 12 and done my AS exams. It's now the summer holidays, and I've just realised that I still have my EPQ to do.

I met with my Supervisor a couple of times over the year, but never really got anywhere, and he suggested I concentrate on my A-Levels during the school year, and then do my EPQ over the summer.

But I didn't realise how much input is needed from my Supervisor. Apparently they have to fill out loads of forms and things to confirm what stage I'm at, at various points. But now we've broken up for the summer, and nothing has been done like that, and now I'm seriously freaking out! :eek:

I have a decent idea for a title, which I kind of confirmed on the very few times I met with my Supervisor, but it wasn't written down or anything official like that. Now I'm wondering if it's far too late for me to start, since I have to start applying for Unis a month or so after I get back after the summer, and I have no way of getting in touch with my Supervisor during the summer, since they've now left the school!

Any help is greatly appreciated. Did any of guys do your EPQ over the summer between Year 12 and Year 13? If so, how did you fill out all the necessary forms and things without meeting with your Supervisor?

I really need this EPQ for my Uni applications, and I'm a little annoyed that I was told I should do it over the summer, rather than the school year.

Thanks in advance for your help! :frown:
Original post by Ttawwab
I really need this EPQ for my Uni applications

I promise you don't "really need" it. It may serve a purpose as something to talk about if you are struggling to fill your personal statement but you can easily do without it. If you start reading and planning for your EPQ now, you will still be in a position to mention it in your personal statement if you decide you want to.

What subject are you applying to read at university?
The EPQ isn't worth it imho; even if you are massively interested in a topic and/or want something to talk about, you can save yourself a massive pain in the arse by just reading into it outside of any formal qualification.
Reply 1906
Certainly not a requirement. As others have said it will definitely not be part of any offer.

Having said that I did one, enjoyed it very much, and got an offer. We spent a few minutes on it in one interview. If you're given a choice between an EPQ and critical thinking/general studies I'd advise you to go for the EPQ as it's experience of independent writing and research. I'm sure it gave me little or no real advantage though.

With regards to resources you just need to search around - libraries, the internet, magazines - for relevant books and articles.

Edit: I suppose, in theory, if you very narrowly miss your offer full marks in your EPQ might help your case.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1907
anyone?
Reply 1908
Original post by Mr M
I promise you don't "really need" it. It may serve a purpose as something to talk about if you are struggling to fill your personal statement but you can easily do without it. If you start reading and planning for your EPQ now, you will still be in a position to mention it in your personal statement if you decide you want to.

What subject are you applying to read at university?

Thanks for the reply. :smile: I'm hoping to study Physics at Uni. I may well do as you say, and just read around the subject and maybe write up some sort of independent theorem paper or something. Obviously, it won't be revolutionary at my level, but if I do it independently, outside of the EPQ, it should look quite good on my application, I'm reckoning.

What do you think? :smile:
Original post by Ttawwab
Thanks for the reply. :smile: I'm hoping to study Physics at Uni. I may well do as you say, and just read around the subject and maybe write up some sort of independent theorem paper or something. Obviously, it won't be revolutionary at my level, but if I do it independently, outside of the EPQ, it should look quite good on my application, I'm reckoning.

What do you think? :smile:

As someone who has recently completed a physics degree, I can promise you that your time would be far better spent making sure your maths and physics skills are as good as they can be, particularly your maths.

Most physics departments are really interested in how good you are at maths and physics. I don't think worrying about writing an 'independent theorem paper' (whatever that is) is a good use of your time and won't add a huge amount to your application.
Ttawwab

-G-a-v-

I am also a physics graduate and agree with -G-a-v- completely. Forget about your 'independent theorem paper' idea. There is no way to say this without sounding rude (sorry!) but this sort of naivety is likely to put any serious Physics Department off.
(edited 12 years ago)
If you want something good to add to your uni application, see if you can take part in the British Physics Olympiad. The problem solving practice will help no end as the questions are harder than A-level questions which walk you through everything, and doing well would look very good on an application (and if you don't do well, you don't have to mention it :p: )

http://www.physics.ox.ac.uk/olympiad/ has more information about it, and past papers for you to try.
Reply 1912
Original post by Mr M
I am also a physics graduate and agree with -G-a-v- completely. Forget about your 'independent theorem paper' idea. There is no way to say this without sounding rude (sorry!) but this sort of naivety is likely to put any serious Physics Department off.

Well, yeah, of course I wasn't expecting to write something outstanding that would revolutionise the face of Physics forever; just a little something I independently read up on and wrote on my own. I just thought it would show a little independent research skill and commitment, is all.

Again, thanks for your help. :smile:
Basically, I am thinking of doing this but ive not actually been entered for it or had any information given to me on it. All i know is that i have to do 5000 words on a topic and then a presentation. I really want to do it during my summer holidays because i know I will struggle during school if i were to do it. So i was wondering do you think it is worth doing the 5000 words now because if i write it wrong and stuff then ive wasted my time, or if my format it wrong.

Also about when do you have to present the presentation, is it during your exam times, because then it could be a problem :s-smilie:

Thanks in advance :biggrin:
EPQ can be helpful but is very time consuming

honestly, it would be more beneficial using that time on your 4 AS' or 3 A2's :smile: it's better to have AAB than for example BBB and an EPQ because you had to spread your time over more things
Original post by Captain Hindsight
EPQ can be helpful but is very time consuming

honestly, it would be more beneficial using that time on your 4 AS' or 3 A2's :smile: it's better to have AAB than for example BBB and an EPQ because you had to spread your time over more things

Yes that is true, also i have 5 AS levels and i probably will do 4 A2s so its a lot more work i better stay careful :smile: Thank you :biggrin:
I did an EPQ which honestly took me around 10-15 hours to complete. I left everything till the last minute, with 1 week before the deadline. I got a C in it, wouldnt recommend it unless you have a subject that you are passionate about and can write a lot about the subject.

To be honest, if you are aiming for a good uni (say top 20), don't waste your time on the EPQ, just focus on your A2's, as that will be more beneficial.
Original post by raveen789
Basically, I am thinking of doing this but ive not actually been entered for it or had any information given to me on it. All i know is that i have to do 5000 words on a topic and then a presentation. I really want to do it during my summer holidays because i know I will struggle during school if i were to do it. So i was wondering do you think it is worth doing the 5000 words now because if i write it wrong and stuff then ive wasted my time, or if my format it wrong.

Also about when do you have to present the presentation, is it during your exam times, because then it could be a problem :s-smilie:

It wouldn't be a waste of time at all :biggrin: I wrote about 1000 words of it during the summer, and that was a really good starting point for me to talk with my supervisor about what was good/not so good and my ideas to continue. Don't worry about writing it wrong, if you've got a basic outline then your supervisor can point you in the right direction to improve it :smile:

It can be pretty time consuming, but if it's something you enjoy then it's pretty fun :smile: Plus, doing independent research looks good on UCAS, especially if it's to do with your subject for uni. And with us, we basically did our presentations whenever we were ready - we just went to our supervisor and told him we'd finished, he looked over the plans and made an appointment for us to give the presentation. It might work differently at your school though, we didn't have an audience or anything, but at my friend's school they all did it in one sitting and the other candidates asked questions. With our school, just the teacher asked questions. But the point is, you might be able to give the presentation as soon as you're ready.

To be honest, the presentation wasn't that strenuous anyway - we were allowed plenty of notes and as long as you spoke confidently and answered the questions well, it was fine. Basically it was just to make sure we hadn't copied and pasted XD It did last about 20 minutes though. In any case, it shouldn't be too hard to do, even if it is close to exam time. Most of us did them around May, just after we came back from easter :smile:
Original post by raveen789

Original post by Chicharito14
I did an EPQ which honestly took me around 10-15 hours to complete. I left everything till the last minute, with 1 week before the deadline. I got a C in it, wouldnt recommend it unless you have a subject that you are passionate about and can write a lot about the subject.

To be honest, if you are aiming for a good uni (say top 20), don't waste your time on the EPQ, just focus on your A2's, as that will be more beneficial.

I completely disagree with this. I applied to five 'good' universities and I believe that my EPQ really strengthened my application, because I did it on something related to my course and on something I was genuinely interested in. It's only a waste of time if you're going to decide to do it without thinking about it properly beforehand - I know lots of people who started doing it then realised, because they had just chosen any old topic, that they could not write 5000 words about it.
I think that if you balance your time well, doing the EPQ is very beneficial, it demonstrates to universities that, as well as focussing on your A2 exams, you're eager to take your interest in the subject you're applying for beyond the syllabus and that you really want to learn more about it. (Having said that, OP, you don't even have to do it on something directly related to your course.

If you manage your time well, you can ask your supervisor to look at drafts of your writing if you're concerned about format/writing style, they are there to help you. As for when your presentation is, it depends - at my school there were three 'cohorts', 1 was over Summer, then the other from September - November then the third one over the Christmas holidays (if you're in that one and have January exams, yes it will clash with exams.) It's 'worth doing it' if you think it is, is there anything in particular you want to do that much research into and spend so much time on? If not, I wouldn't recommend it as it it is very time-consuming and can be really stressful! :smile:
Original post by helenamm92
It wouldn't be a waste of time at all :biggrin: I wrote about 1000 words of it during the summer, and that was a really good starting point for me to talk with my supervisor about what was good/not so good and my ideas to continue. Don't worry about writing it wrong, if you've got a basic outline then your supervisor can point you in the right direction to improve it :smile:

It can be pretty time consuming, but if it's something you enjoy then it's pretty fun :smile: Plus, doing independent research looks good on UCAS, especially if it's to do with your subject for uni. And with us, we basically did our presentations whenever we were ready - we just went to our supervisor and told him we'd finished, he looked over the plans and made an appointment for us to give the presentation. It might work differently at your school though, we didn't have an audience or anything, but at my friend's school they all did it in one sitting and the other candidates asked questions. With our school, just the teacher asked questions. But the point is, you might be able to give the presentation as soon as you're ready.

To be honest, the presentation wasn't that strenuous anyway - we were allowed plenty of notes and as long as you spoke confidently and answered the questions well, it was fine. Basically it was just to make sure we hadn't copied and pasted XD It did last about 20 minutes though. In any case, it shouldn't be too hard to do, even if it is close to exam time. Most of us did them around May, just after we came back from easter :smile:

Ah, that sounds good because i really do not want to present it during exam time, any time after or before Easter would be great, but otherwise it might become too much work. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending