The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I got AAAAA in my highers so I'll be able to apply to oxford, YAY!
Is anyone looking at doing maths with a year in europe/abroad?
Reply 802
Original post by BeccaCath94

I would like to do it, but I haven't got an A Level in a language, so....

Original post by deejayy

Yes, I'm planning to for Imperial and Bristol! So as they're my second and third choices, I'm pretty likely to end up going on one. Deejayy, for most universities you don't need A-level. I forget the specifics, but at least one place I looked at didn't need even GCSE, and another only GCSE.

What country would you two be interested in going to? I'm doing Advanced Higher (Scottish eqv. of A-level) French, so France would be the obvious choice. However, at either Imperial or Bristol it looked like you could do one where you didn't have any previous knowledge of the language, which makes Germany or Italy seem quite interesting: Germany because I'd like to learn German, Italy mainly because it's warm and pretty. :redface:
Reply 804

I'd love to go to France, but I can hardly speak it (Wish I did it for an A level :frown:)
Original post by deejayy

Do you need one? You could check it out on the uni websites and entry requirements... Im sure its not essential especailly if you dont study it as a minor and just go there for a year... Or you can learn a language from scratch so...

Original post by anyone_can_fly
Yes, I'm planning to for Imperial and Bristol! So as they're my second and third choices, I'm pretty likely to end up going on one. Deejayy, for most universities you don't need A-level. I forget the specifics, but at least one place I looked at didn't need even GCSE, and another only GCSE.

What country would you two be interested in going to? I'm doing Advanced Higher (Scottish eqv. of A-level) French, so France would be the obvious choice. However, at either Imperial or Bristol it looked like you could do one where you didn't have any previous knowledge of the language, which makes Germany or Italy seem quite interesting: Germany because I'd like to learn German, Italy mainly because it's warm and pretty. :redface:

Ooh cool :smile: What subject are you doing: maths? Im going to do maths with a year in germany as i am doing a level german!! I might even do maths with a minor in german i havent decided yet... What about you?

Original post by MHRed
I'd love to go to France, but I can hardly speak it (Wish I did it for an A level :frown:)

Ahh... :/ Well you could learn it from A level standard at uni if you did it for GCSE....
Original post by deejayy

At Warwick you can do a language module in year 1 or 2 and still go on a year abroad.
Reply 807
A question to all the applicants/ previous applicants: How many times did your PS include the word "mathematics", "maths" or similar? In my current version this number is VERY high, so was wondering if this is normal.

Also, everyone finished a draft/final version of PS?
Original post by twig
A question to all the applicants/ previous applicants: How many times did your PS include the word "mathematics", "maths" or similar? In my current version this number is VERY high, so was wondering if this is normal.

Also, everyone finished a draft/final version of PS?

I have it 19 times lololololol
Reply 809
Original post by dnumberwang
I have it 19 times lololololol

Spoiler

Reply 810
Original post by twig

Spoiler

23 lol...
but that includes maths as well
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by deejayy
23 lol...
but that includes maths as well

I have 23 too! (Though I've got a near-paragraph of reading to add yet so expect another 4 or 5) :tongue:
Original post by hassi94
I have 23 too! (Though I've got a near-paragraph of reading to add yet so expect another 4 or 5) :tongue:

i only have 8 :O :O
Reply 813
Am I the only one who hasn't started their personal statement?
Mine was 19 :h:
Original post by sqwerty
Am I the only one who hasn't started their personal statement?

Yes.

In seriousness - us TSR bunch are more organised than most - a lot of us aiming for Oxbridge so our apps need to be ready by October :smile:
Original post by anyone_can_fly

Are you sure you don't need an A level in a language? At Durham it states that you need a grade B, however at Bristol I can't find out whether you need to have studied a language before or not. :s-smilie:
Reply 817
Original post by hassi94
Yes.

In seriousness - us TSR bunch are more organised than most - a lot of us aiming for Oxbridge so our apps need to be ready by October :smile:

So am I, there's still 2 months
Original post by sqwerty
So am I, there's still 2 months

That's fine, I don't know if I speak for everyone but I wrote my PS, redrafted it myself 3-4 times, then got the PS Helpers to look at it, redrafted it another 2 times, got my maths teacher to look at it, redrafted it again. I'm going to add a little more then take it to PS Helpers again, redraft then finally to my head of sixth form then redraft again. I don't want to leave that to the last 2 months - the earlier it's done the better for me, and I think a lot of us started in July time because there wasn't much else to do. Still going to school but with little pressure and no exams.
Reply 819
even i am applying for masters in math for 2012 .. but i dont get it y r u reading books n all? shouldnt u be preparing for SOP ..?

Latest