The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
what job prospects come with a biomed degree
Reply 261
Original post by Jack7Richards
No, my degree is accredited by the IBMS, but like any other accredited degree, i still need to complete the ibms cerificate of competence to be able to jointhe HPC register.

hi,

I will be starting in September on an Ibms accredited course and wanted to know how many students if not all are on the 4 year placement course (if u know) ? i know places are limited but just want to get a feel for the competition i will be facing !

please please let me know :-)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by leanna_21
hi,

I will be starting in September on an Ibms accredited course and wanted to know how many students if not all are on the 4 year placement course (if u know) ? i know places are limited but just want to get a feel for the competition i will be facing !

please please let me know :-)

It depends on your university. There's not much else I can say really!

At my university, placement places were allocated on demand, grades achieved in year 1 and how well you perform at the interview of your chosen hospitals for placement.
Original post by OneBeanLescott
I passed my first year of uni without any resits but I did find the harder theories more difficult to get my head round like (like different stuff in the brain, parts of the lymphatic system and a lot of topics in biochemistry).

So would it be good a idea to get the ball rolling now and look over the modules/ topics now before I start in October. plus the books I used for my modules (anatomy and physiology, biochemistry, biology of the cell/ microbiology) in the first year will I still need those or can I just sell them on?

Don't waste your summer revising. My second year was hard, use this time to relax, you are gonna gonna be glad you took time out when you are knee deep in assignments and revision!

Keep hold of your books until you graduate, you might need them for assignments. E.g. writing up a practical about detecting liver enzyme levels - you could use your anatomy book to source info for your introduction....
Reply 264
Original post by Jack7Richards
It depends on your university. There's not much else I can say really!

At my university, placement places were allocated on demand, grades achieved in year 1 and how well you perform at the interview of your chosen hospitals for placement.

thanks :smile: Yh i figured i am just going to have to wait till September !! :wink:
Reply 265
Would anybody be able to post a list of books you would recommend for the 1st year (biomedical science ) please. My uni has only suggested one pre-read. My parents have decided that this is how they will help by buying all books that are needed for year one :biggrin::eek: looool. so please can any one let me know before they decline this once in a life time opportunity :wink:.
Reply 266
Original post by leanna_21
Would anybody be able to post a list of books you would recommend for the 1st year (biomedical science ) please. My uni has only suggested one pre-read. My parents have decided that this is how they will help by buying all books that are needed for year one :biggrin::eek: looool. so please can any one let me know before they decline this once in a life time opportunity :wink:.

I highly recommend you wait until your course starts... this because your module leaders will mention the necessary books in the module guides they provide.

In my first year I used the following books: Chemistry for the bioscience (Crowe, Bradshaw & monk), Practical skills in biomolecular sciences [you'll need this book throughout the duration of your course] (Reed, Holmes, Weyers & Jones) A good physiology book will be great, ones like Vander's Human physiology, or Guyton & Hall Textbook of medical physiology, I Genetics A Mendelian approach. & Lehninger Principles of biochemistry.

Also, modules are sometimes organised differently from uni to uni, so some of the books I mentioned you might not need until your second year. Good luck.:smile:
Reply 267
Original post by jjazza
Practical skills in biomolecular sciences [you'll need this book throughout the duration of your course]

We was told to get that book, I looked at it once in the library and never picked it up again :p:

I did fine with lab work and write ups
This thread is alive again :smile: lol
Can't believe I didn't know this thread existed.

OK I'd like to join, I'm a Biomed Graduate and been lurking here not doing very much since 2009 as I've been confused as to what I want to do in life.

I'm giving medicine a final go for 2012 entry but failing that I'm going to do a masters in either neuroscience/pharmacology or physiology and take it from there.

Oh yeah if anyone can shed any light on this (before I read all 270 existing thread posts :erm:) I graduated from UCL but my degree isn't IBMS accredited.

How do I move on from here? Being a receptionist is a really boring job. :mad:
Reply 271
Any more Cavendish freshers ?
Hello one and all

In light of my AS grades (see spoiler at the bottom) i have abandoned my hopes of medicine entry in 2012...i don't understand why i flopped cos i thought i did well anyway..but life moves on.

Can anyone give an advice or nudge me to a thread on....

a) how a BIOMEDICAL SCIENCE personal statement should be done, ie., things to focus on.

b) What unis allow biomed --> med transfers in yr1/2 and what are their conditions for such a transfer?

c) and any actual biomed students who would love to boast their uni to me..please, show me the light

d) can you top up your Bsc in your FINAL year with a masters year? OR do you have to apply for a masters course outright?

Thanks
Original post by nevetstreblig
Hello one and all

In light of my AS grades (see spoiler at the bottom) i have abandoned my hopes of medicine entry in 2012...i don't understand why i flopped cos i thought i did well anyway..but life moves on.

Can anyone give an advice or nudge me to a thread on....

a) how a BIOMEDICAL SCIENCE personal statement should be done, ie., things to focus on.

The usual **** like good time management, work ethic etc but mention lab skills, ability to interpret and analyse data, ability to adhere to scientific method and such.

For the "I wanted to study this course since I was in nappies" bit, I talked about biology in general then honed in on biomed, discussed why it was important/interesting to me/relevant to society and then honed in further on my favourite area of biomed: microbiology. Then I talked about viruses and how I found the microbiology of HIV interesting.

b) What unis allow biomed --> med transfers in yr1/2 and what are their conditions for such a transfer?

Dunno.

c) and any actual biomed students who would love to boast their uni to me..please, show me the light

Tbh that's up to you to decide, go to open days, read prospectuses and whatuni.com. One man's meat and all that.

d) can you top up your Bsc in your FINAL year with a masters year? OR do you have to apply for a masters course outright?

Thanks

Like a Msci? If so, I think it depends on the uni. You might want to look into IBMS accredited courses if you want to work in pathology labs with the NHS.

:smile:
Original post by jjazza
I highly recommend you wait until your course starts... this because your module leaders will mention the necessary books in the module guides they provide.

In my first year I used the following books: Chemistry for the bioscience (Crowe, Bradshaw & monk), Practical skills in biomolecular sciences [you'll need this book throughout the duration of your course] (Reed, Holmes, Weyers & Jones) A good physiology book will be great, ones like Vander's Human physiology, or Guyton & Hall Textbook of medical physiology, I Genetics A Mendelian approach. & Lehninger Principles of biochemistry.

Also, modules are sometimes organised differently from uni to uni, so some of the books I mentioned you might not need until your second year. Good luck.:smile:

Thats book is horrifically bad, feel bad for saying it as Bradshaw is the course leader for biomed at my uni :erm:
Reply 275
Im considering on doing Biomedicine at uni.

But what jobs are availible at the end of it?

It doesnt seem to be clear anywhere.
Reply 276
So how many Biomed students look to do medicine after they graduate? Like someone said, they did a Biomed degree at UCL and are now doing a job as a receptionist! I mean WTH!!!
http://hlsweb.dmu.ac.uk/ahs/elearning/RITA for folk who're worried about lab things. :smile:
Reply 278
Original post by badumdumtscht
http://hlsweb.dmu.ac.uk/ahs/elearning/RITA for folk who're worried about lab things. :smile:

thank you !! VERY MUCH , needed something to get ma mind ready for September !
Reply 279
Original post by J DOT A
So how many Biomed students look to do medicine after they graduate? Like someone said, they did a Biomed degree at UCL and are now doing a job as a receptionist! I mean WTH!!!

Not an awful lot of my Warwick graduate class ended up in Postgrad medicine. Only about half a dozen. it's even more ridiculously competitive than at Undergrad.

This is only direct entry, mind. Im sure more will manage it over the next couple of years, but very few are starting direct from BSc.

Latest

Trending

Trending