The Student Room Group

Maths Uni Chat

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zuzuzu
I am yeah, cheers! :biggrin: Got over the initial disappointment of missing my firm now and excited like **** for London.

Looking forward to, umm... grinding some example sheets.

You get used to Simps.

By the way, your picture... why is it Silas from Hollyoaks?
Original post by Ultimate1
you serious brah? So it isn't about the skill but your ability to grind problem sheets? :erm:

Well it was the worst analogy ever but true to a certain extent. Some people are naturally gifted and "just get it" and will get great grades. The rest of us have to grind problem sheets to be able to understand what is going on. A lot of lecturers will also put a few problem sheet questions into their exam verbatim, so it's worth doing them for this alone.
What's more useful?

Applied complex analysis or Matrix analysis?
I think when you start taking courses based on their usefulness (which is quite arbitrary; applied complex analysis will be useful for further study in QM say, Matrix Analysis will be great if you are also looking for further study of QM - it's easy to continue making up such examples) at this stage you'll find yourself in trouble.

This isn't like the first year where it is obvious basic Analysis is going to be more useful than Dynamics in the long run; the courses should start becoming specifically geared towards a niche sector.

For example if you're leaning towards Topology studying: topology, CA, Set theory, Group theory, field theory - for instance would be a good choice.

@Ultimate1; do you even lift?
Original post by around
Can someone explain what is up with mathematicians and 'slogans'. Every algebra textbook seems to be filled with them.

I like the part where you elaborated on that cryptic statement.
P.S. simplicity I was banned when it happened, but wanted to ask you about how Zyzz's death has affected your life.
Reply 6546
Original post by DeanK22
P.S. simplicity I was banned when it happened, but wanted to ask you about how Zyzz's death has affected your life.

What were you banned for?

Original post by DeanK22
I like the part where you elaborated on that cryptic statement.

Open up an algebra textbook from, say, the 1950's onwards. It will be filled with 'slogans' (eg here on page 15). Our linear algebra lecturer (who seems to be from that school) also loved to write down 'slogans' in lectures (ie slogan: 'to define a linear map we just have to define it on the basis vectors and extend linearly'). Who started this trend?
Original post by DeanK22

You got banned for what? You never really say anything that mean and most of it is jokey.

On Zyzz death. Not much. But, Zyzz has good genetics, you give a normal person all them steroids he did and they look like crap. However, he ends up looking like a greek statue when he does bodybuilding(as opposed to normal awful bodybuilder look now). I suppose I'm less likely to take steroids when I'm older and can afford them because of zyzz death.

You still plan to take steroids? Aren't you scared you will die like zyzz?
Zyzz isn't dead. Gods can't die. He just couldn't attain any more aesthetics in the mortal realm, so had to ascend to the realm of the gods.
Original post by around
Open up an algebra textbook from, say, the 1950's onwards. It will be filled with 'slogans' (eg here on page 15). Our linear algebra lecturer (who seems to be from that school) also loved to write down 'slogans' in lectures (ie slogan: 'to define a linear map we just have to define it on the basis vectors and extend linearly'). Who started this trend?

Wait a minute, when the hell could you do differential geometry?

Pretty sure you are in the second or third year. Conway books have a famous quote at the beginning of every chapter.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Simplicity
You got banned for what? You never really say anything that mean and most of it is jokey.

On Zyzz death. Not much. But, Zyzz has good genetics, you give a normal person all them steroids he did and they look like crap. However, he ends up looking like a greek statue when he does bodybuilding(as opposed to normal awful bodybuilder look now). I suppose I'm less likely to take steroids when I'm older and can afford them because of zyzz death.

You still plan to take steroids? Aren't you scared you will die like zyzz?

I don't remember ever saying I plan to take steroids - that is libel. However, you are best to wait until you're 25 it can really mess you up Simps (I think you're younger than me anyway, I'll be 21 in a month and I'm already making good progress [but I think alot of it muscle memory - I lost 15 kg last year from illness and already put 10 on, starting to look like I lift again, I think]. Our bodies have a lot of test at this age so no need to juice yet - wait until you are 25 at the very earliest, 30 preferably.

Zyzz was on clen which ruined his cardiac arteries - nothing wrong with steroids.

Got banned for trolling some maths threads.

Original post by around
What were you banned for?

I still have no f.cuking clue what you are trying to say.
Original post by ForGreatJustice
Zyzz isn't dead. Gods can't die. He just couldn't attain any more aesthetics in the mortal realm, so had to ascend to the realm of the gods.

Chestbrah (Said) is such a tard. He didn't use a proxy and then said Zyzz's death was a fake and the 'misc dun gon goofd'.

Strong comprehension of internet skill.

Obvious I.P. check, shi.tstorm ensued with (obvious ban) and then conspiracy nut-jobs come out en masse - but yeah it's pretty clear he is dead.

R.I.P. aesthetics.
Original post by DeanK22
I don't remember ever saying I plan to take steroids - that is libel. However, you are best to wait until you're 25 it can really mess you up Simps (I think you're younger than me anyway, I'll be 21 in a month and I'm already making good progress [but I think alot of it muscle memory - I lost 15 kg last year from illness and already put 10 on, starting to look like I lift again, I think]. Our bodies have a lot of test at this age so no need to juice yet - wait until you are 25 at the very earliest, 30 preferably.

I doubt I will take steroids at least until 40. I heard that HGH stops you ageing and gives you muscles, so might take that when 40 and going old. I thought muscle memory was a troll. Also, what illness did you have? remember assmaster had glandular fever. Need to start doing weights again.

I'm 22. If I had a time machine would have done HGH so I'm taller, not that I'm short just 5'9-5'10.

Original post by DeanK22
Zyzz was on clen which ruined his cardiac arteries - nothing wrong with steroids.

Clen is probably the thing I would want to take as it seems like an easy way to lose weight. Like to lose weight and gain muscle seems like a dream.
Reply 6553
Original post by around
Can someone explain what is up with mathematicians and 'slogans'. Every algebra textbook seems to be filled with them.

Detailed mathematical statements are often long, unweildly or too technical.

Summarising in a short 'slogan' is useful way of getting an intuitive grasp on something or just communicating the crux of a statement.

e.g. with your linear algebra example - it is much quicker to say 'maps from free modules are exactly determined by the image of a basis' then to start stating universal properties.
Sorry, it sounds like you guys are considering taking steroids. Did I miss some massive insecurities here or are you just ****ing around?
Original post by assmaster
Sorry, it sounds like you guys are considering taking steroids. Did I miss some massive insecurities here or are you just ****ing around?

I'm trolling.

Unaware of Simplicitly so actually giving him serious advice.

drugs are bad mmmmmmmmmmmmkay
Original post by DeanK22
I'm trolling.

Unaware of Simplicitly so actually giving him serious advice.

drugs are bad mmmmmmmmmmmmkay

all this talk of matinee is making me go craziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

I'm only kidding. I don't even drink or smoke because of health risk. Would never take the risks of steroids.

P.S. Been rereading Marcus Du Sautoy books, it isn't that bad. I think they are quite good. Also The story of Maths is a good show.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Simplicity
I'm only kidding. I don't even drink or smoke because of health risk. Would never take the risks of steroids.

P.S. Been rereading Marcus Du Sautoy books, it isn't that bad. I think they are quite good. Also The story of Maths is a good show.

Relief.

I've been reading the most stupid yet dull textbook about Fibonacci numbers. Half of it is like "this was discovered in 1934, and proved in 1955 - 34 and 55 are Fibonacci numbers" and I'm like, so? That's purely coincidental and NOT an example of how Fibonacci numbers are everywhere. Ugh. Have this awful feeling that project is going to be massively tenuous e.g. how the Maths department has 89 classes and 144 doors and how amazingly omnipresent the sequence is.

In other news, one week of work left (yessss) and I've been invited to this spa in France, which is cool. And I've been listening to way, way too much Kanye West in the last week. Did anyone see that program "How Hip-Hop Changed The World" on channel 4 the other week? It was pretty cool but I spent most of it wondering how anyone finds Snoop Dogg attractive.

Big post, sorry.
It was pretty cool but I spent most of it wondering how anyone finds Snoop Dogg attractive.

My boss physically shivers whenever she hears, sees, or otherwise thinks about Snoop Dogg. No lie. So naturally I made a poster saying "Sara just loves Snoop" with a massive picture of him and stuck it on the office wall.

Quick Reply

Latest