BSMS Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by belle-a
Hello!!! Good luck with your applications. :smile:

Thank you :biggrin:
Reply 81
Original post by Cheddar
But surely they consider GCSE score's as well don't they, or wouldn't that mean everyone gets max of 15 if they are predicted 4A's at A-level?

Do you mean 4A's at AS or at A level?
Reply 82
Username: Kevlar R
Course Medicine(A100)
Scottish Highers Bilogy A, Chemistry A, Physics A, Music A , Maths B, Engish B
Scottish Advanced Highers Chemistry A, Physics B
Other Grades - Scottish Science Baccalaureate A with Distinction, Sports Leadership Level 2 Pass :biggrin:
International Student? No
Reapplicant/Transfer Applicant/First Time Applicant? - 2nd time Applicant
Reply 83
Username Madd
Course medicine A100
GCSE A* A* AA A A B B B
A2 levels biology - B, chemistry - B, Physics - A, Spanish - A
Graduate? no, have a certificate of higher education after doing a pre-med course
International student? no
Reapplicant? this is the third time im applying!!!
Reply 84
Original post by oldbatty
Do you mean 4A's at AS or at A level?

A-Level but I'm not sure if you would get max points for that, doesnt seem right :s-smilie:
Reply 85
Original post by Cheddar
A-Level but I'm not sure if you would get max points for that, doesnt seem right :s-smilie:

Where did you find this info?
Reply 86
Original post by oldbatty
Where did you find this info?

A few posts back, http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=34001787&postcount=74
Reply 87

thanks thats every useful do you think A* AAB predictions at A2 would = 15 marks like 4A's
Reply 88
Original post by aggie30
thanks thats every useful do you think A* AAB predictions at A2 would = 15 marks like 4A's

Well, I'm not too sure because I think they take AS's and GCSE's into account as well. I'm not applying here because of their ambiguous selection process but it's suck a lovely uni and the course is great.
Reply 89
Original post by Cheddar
Well, I'm not too sure because I think they take AS's and GCSE's into account as well. I'm not applying here because of their ambiguous selection process but it's suck a lovely uni and the course is great.

I understand what you mean there are very vague but I'm going to risk it as I loved the medical school so much at the open day
Reply 90
Hi guys,
just found this on their website about the GCSE requirements. Hope it helps
BSMS recognises that individuals develop in different ways. We will not penalise applicants who have achieved high A level grades or graduates with good degrees on account of modest GCSE or A level grades obtained in the past. If you apply to us having already obtained your entry-level qualification, then your assessment will be based primarily on this profile rather than on GCSE/AS levels. However, if you are applying on the basis of predicted grades, be they A-levels or IB, we will need to have some means of determining how likely it is that you are going to achieve the predictions made for you. We have to do this on the basis of the qualifications that you have already obtained, namely your AS levels (if you are on a A-level course) and your GCSEs.

The grades that you obtained for your AS levels will be particularly important since they give us a recent measure of your ability, but we do also look at GCSEs in some circumstances (as in the case of those offering IB). When we look at GCSEs, we are primarily interested in the A and A* grades and so the more of these you have the better. However, strong AS grades (where appropriate) will compensate for a weaker GCSE profile. Please note that, for all applicants, we expect grades B in GCSE Maths & English (or their equivalent). Re-taken grades or equivalent qualifications are acceptable as evidence of adequate literacy and numeracy.
Reply 91
Original post by Kevlar R
Username: Kevlar R
Course Medicine(A100)
Scottish Highers Bilogy A, Chemistry A, Physics A, Music A , Maths B, Engish B
Scottish Advanced Highers Chemistry A, Physics B
Other Grades - Scottish Science Baccalaureate A with Distinction, Sports Leadership Level 2 Pass :biggrin:
International Student? No
Reapplicant/Transfer Applicant/First Time Applicant? - 2nd time Applicant

Original post by madd
Username Madd
Course medicine A100
GCSE A* A* AA A A B B B
Graduate? no, have a certificate of higher education after doing a pre-med course

Good luck to you both. Hopefully this will be the final time of applying. :smile:
Reply 92
I just rang them, they do not look at ur GCSEs if you have achieved your a level grades.
But you must have grade B in english language and maths.
Username: This Honest
Course medicine A100
GCSE: A* A* A*A* A A A A A A and OCR National ICT (distinction)
AS levels :biology - A, chemistry - B, Economics- B, Maths - A
Graduate? No.
International student? No.
Reapplicant? No.

I might apply here but not too sure :hmmmm:
What are BSMS UKCAT cut off?
Reply 95
Application sent. :unsure:
Reply 96
How comes noone's mentioned the ukcat?
Reply 97
Original post by madd
Username Madd
Course medicine A100
GCSE A* A* AA A A B B B

Im sure BSMS need AAA for medicine? because on this link it says that you would need AAA/A*AB:
http://www.bsms.ac.uk/undergraduate/applying/entry-requirements/
Reply 98
Original post by Jasmine_777
What are BSMS UKCAT cut off?

They don't have a cut-off. They use it after interviews to distinguish between candidates that have the same points in the application process. They use it as a tie-breaker.
Reply 99
Original post by bala123
Im sure BSMS need AAA for medicine? because on this link it says that you would need AAA/A*AB:
http://www.bsms.ac.uk/undergraduate/applying/entry-requirements/

They do ask for AAA but ive done a pre-med course and i got top marks for that so they accept that even if my A-levels arent that great. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending