The Student Room Group

Give me as many disadvantages to studying medicine as you can think of...

Don't ask why..

Just could you possibly give me as many downsides as possible to being a med student/ doctor.

Much appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
****ssake!
Reply 2
Original post by Renal
****ssake!

Is that a disadvantage? Wasn't aware.
Reply 3
You will probably make more stupidposts in this forum

You deal with people

If you are this stupid and annoying you will piss off your paitents

You are probably someone who doesnt know if they even want to do medicine and wants to pick a good subject out of the hat in order to gain prestige because you want to have something on this year's UCAS.

Did I mention that you will make more stupid posts on this forum ? :afro:
Reply 4
Original post by Agent Smirnoff
You will probably make more stupidposts in this forum

You deal with people

If you are this stupid and annoying you will piss off your paitents

You are probably someone who doesnt know if they even want to do medicine and wants to pick a good subject out of the hat in order to gain prestige because you want to have something on this year's UCAS.

Did I mention that you will make more stupid posts on this forum ? :afro:

Thanks for your wisdom. It is truly enlightening. (!)
Reply 5
I wouldn't say the following applies to everyone, but these would be reasons why I would not study medicine :rolleyes:

~ Very competitive
~ Hard Work
~ Need to be very smart
~ Would have a very little social life
~ Have to be able to cope under pressure
~ Takes a long time to complete degree and training
~ If you do become a doctor after degree then it would be depressing to have a patient not survive after you did everything in your power to help them :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by Hellz_Bellz!
Thanks for your wisdom. It is truly enlightening. (!)

Happy to help. :h:

It's what I do. ....... share.
Very small people will get angry at the lack of differentiation between the honorific Dr. and doctoral studies Dr.

If your keen, watch junior doctors on repeat on Wednesdays at 8 at the moment. Or just do a quick google. It's been discussed at length many, many times.
Reply 8
Look, really you ought to know this **** from work experience. If you don't, you're probably a bit ****ed.
You'll spend your friday nights patching the wounds of the drunken idiots who have been brawling in the street.
Reply 10
Original post by Renal
Look, really you ought to know this **** from work experience. If you don't, you're probably a bit ****ed.

I know.

The kinds of people who want to become doctors these days. :rolleyes:
Doctors would be nothing without Chemists, Biologists, Biochemists, (and in a way Physicists/engineers ) - so pretty much scientists doing the research enable to allow doctors to do their work. Mind you i'm not saying doctors are bad, but what all of the people listed above do are the people who are going to end up curing diseases like AIDS and cancer. Doctors are only diagnosticians or glorified mechanics in my opinion :/
Original post by Libby18

- If you're a female, you train for 7 years so if start studying, after a-levels you'll be 23 when you're done studying, but then you have F1, F2 years, then training for what you want to specialize in ( still alot of studying)

I'm curious, did you forget to add on a bit at the end of the point, or have I missed a memo that says men get automatic acceleration?
Reply 13
I'll have to pay your wages, and if I ever find you, I will kill you.
Lots of hard work
Hard to apply into, but you could go for Biomedical Sciences then transfer
Patronised when you're a junior doctor
Long course

Also, I'm nosy - why???
Reply 15
Ill people. Put me right off. I did voluntary work in a hospital and hated it, hence applying for Chemistry instead.
Reply 16
I know.

The kinds of people who want to become doctors these days. :rolleyes:

Judgemental and snooty much? Just goes to show really...
Reply 17
Original post by Ledzeppelin
Doctors would be nothing without Chemists, Biologists, Biochemists, (and in a way Physicists/engineers ) - so pretty much scientists doing the research enable to allow doctors to do their work. Mind you i'm not saying doctors are bad, but what all of the people listed above do are the people who are going to end up curing diseases like AIDS and cancer. Doctors are only diagnosticians or glorified mechanics in my opinion :/

Interesting argument!
Reply 18
Original post by Hellz_Bellz!
Judgemental and snooty much? Just goes to show really...

Maybe I am. But I don't care......... God made me like that and I am proud of who and what I am. Well again at least I have the common sense and teh brains to be a doctor. :rolleyes:
Reply 19
Maybe I am. But I don't care......... God made me like that and I am proud of who and what I am. Well again at least I have the common sense and teh brains to be a doctor. :rolleyes:

Doesn't it hurt having your head stuck so far up your a***? Good luck with being a doctor. You, my friend, are a clear representation of what doctors are like nowadays: horrible, nasty, and in it for the money.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending