The Student Room Group

should the rich pay more tax?

The rich evidently have more money, so on that basis they can be taxed.

But I find we as British envy/detest the rich a lot (at least speaking badly of wealthy people is common). Do people only support higher taxes on rich people since they want them to "pay" for being rich?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No, they pay more than enough to the undeserving poor, let alone to the deserving poor.
Define the rich for me first!
Reply 3
I would prefer it if the tax % was the same for all earners. That way the rich still get taxed more but not by a ridiculous amount. Just seems counter-intuitive. You work hard and then get about 40% of your salary taken away.
Reply 4
People detest the rich in most countries due to stereotypes/jealousy. It's not something that is British.
Original post by Otkem
No, they pay more than enough to the undeserving poor, let alone to the deserving poor.

Well at least you now see that some poor people are "deserving". I suppose that is a start compared to what you have said in the past.
Reply 6
Original post by WelshBluebird
Well at least you now see that some poor people are "deserving".

And I think they get they more than enough.
Reply 7
I think personally yes. I understand the arguments about the fact that the rich work hard for their money, some poor people are just lazy etcetc. But if I were rich[er] (I'm kind of average) I would suck it up and pay more. Not like I'm gonna suffer that much.
Original post by GQ.
I would prefer it if the tax % was the same for all earners. That way the rich still get taxed more but not by a ridiculous amount. Just seems counter-intuitive. You work hard and then get about 40% of your salary taken away.

And what % would that be?
I am sure you realise the value of money decreases as you get more of it.
So for someone on £25k a year, 20% of that would be worth more than compared to what 20% would be worth to someone on £100k a year. Despite the obvious actual different in amount.
So if you set a fixed % for all earners, those on lower wages will always feel the effects of tax more than the rich.
Also, as total tax revenue would fall massively, what government spending would you cut to make up for that difference?
Original post by Otkem
And I think they get they more than enough.

In general you find that those who are "deserving" actually don't.
It is usually the ones who are not deserving who get more than they should.
Many who do genuinely need help don't get enough.
Reply 10
I'm not sure about the rich, but the mega-rich definitely should, they wouldn't even suffer and it could make such a difference
I think it's about right as it is.
Original post by sclez1
I'm not sure about the rich, but the mega-rich definitely should, they wouldn't even suffer and it could make such a difference

Yeah this. I think the upper middle pay too much, but millionaires should pay more. You get me?
Reply 13
The problem with this country is that too many people are having an increasing sense of entitlement and anti-rich feelings. Thanks to the welfare payments, this problem will continue. I do hope that the Government scraps the 50% tax rate, it certainly does more harm than good.
Reply 14
Original post by Otkem

Im poor I agree my dad is poor but his problems he brought upon himself He could have got a house by now but chose to take loans for 'fun'. Paki immigrant parents are so DUMB. He wont let me fix up his accounts because he is embarrassed yet he comes home and shouts at my family cus of his debt. RICH people usually work and deserve there pay.
Reply 15
Original post by hamix
The rich evidently have more money, so on that basis they can be taxed.

But I find we as British envy/detest the rich a lot (at least speaking badly of wealthy people is common). Do people only support higher taxes on rich people since they want them to "pay" for being rich?

I would actually say that in this country people seem to respect the rich and dislike the poor, look at all the comments on this forum for example
Original post by Akbar2k7
Im poor I agree my dad is poor but his problems he brought upon himself He could have got a house by now but chose to take loans for 'fun'. Paki immigrant parents are so DUMB. He wont let me fix up his accounts because he is embarrassed yet he comes home and shouts at my family cus of his debt. RICH people usually work and deserve there pay.

1 - You cannot make the assumption that everyone who is poor is poor because of their own fault. It may be the case with your father, but certainly you cannot make that assumption for everyone.

2 - Many rich people do work for their pay. But many poor people work hard too, and get grossly underpaid. Also many rich people don't work for their money.
Reply 17
1 - You cannot make the assumption that everyone who is poor is poor because of their own fault. It may be the case with your father, but certainly you cannot make that assumption for everyone.

2 - Many rich people do work for their pay. But many poor people work hard too, and get grossly underpaid. Also many rich people don't work for their money.

I know I was Marxist till last year when I realized that the 'poor' whom I cared for and was part of were the same people who tormented me throughout secondary school and are the Chavs and poor of tomorrow. I found most have the opportunities but choose to not take them further still they torment those who wish to take them. I also found that most of the super rich were lucky or lying Bankers however the middle class who still work but get a half decent wage work hard for it. In this nation those born here have decent opportunities its up to them to take it, therefore most of the 'richish' people should not pay for the Chavs to buy JD hoodies. Yea I realised last year chavs spoilt my yr7-11 life.
I know I was Marxist till last year when I realized that the 'poor' whom I cared for and was part of were the same people who tormented me throughout secondary school

Again a false assumption. Most poor people are not bullies.

and are the Chavs

Again another false assumption. Being poor does not mean you are a chav.

and poor of tomorrow.

Accurate, but only because those born poor are more likely to die poor (and those rich are more likely to die rich). We have a serious lack of social mobility in this country.

I found most have the opportunities but choose to not take them

True for some. Not true for others.

further still they torment those who wish to take them.

Again a false assumption as most poor people are not bullies. Some are. Just as some rich people are.

I also found that most of the super rich were lucky or lying Bankers

Exactly.

In this nation those born here have decent opportunities its up to them to take it

Not always.

therefore most of the 'richish' people should not pay for the Chavs to buy JD hoodies. Yea I realised last year chavs spoilt my yr7-11 life.

Again, you are assuming all poor people are chavs.
Reply 19
Again a false assumption. Most poor people are not bullies.

Again another false assumption. Being poor does not mean you are a chav.

Accurate, but only because those born poor are more likely to die poor (and those rich are more likely to die rich). We have a serious lack of social mobility in this country.

True for some. Not true for others.

Again a false assumption as most poor people are not bullies. Some are. Just as some rich people are.

Exactly.

Not always.

Again, you are assuming all poor people are chavs.

I would rep you again But I'm all out, I kind of realised Im letting my own bias blur the truth I'm like one of those scary dictators who cause World wars I need to chill don't I?

well Im going off back to trig revision.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending