The Student Room Group

My friends don't think I'm right for medicine

Well my friends think I'm too 'awkward' for medicine and I know that if I want it so bad I shouldn't care, but I consider my friends opinions otherwise, why wouldn't I now? I am pretty awkward, but I can't see myself doing anything else but be a doctor, I'm just not sure if my personality will stand in the way of that. A lot of these opinions come from other potential med students but I feel really stuckup when I say to myself that it's because they're trying to eliminate potential competition by discouraging others because what if they're right and I am wrong for this path? Anyway, is it right to say that the worst possible person for medicine is someone who's 'awkward' due to all the patient contact they'd have? Just trying to get some others opinions, thanks :3

Why the neg? -.- but I guess I missed the point, what I was trying to ask was do you think your personality can get in the way of your determination and maybe even your intellect? General question tbh, I was just trying to use my friends as an example :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
:yawn:
Original post by Frankiej
Well my friends think I'm too 'awkward' for medicine and I know that if I want it so bad I shouldn't care, but I consider my friends opinions otherwise, why wouldn't I now? I am pretty awkward, but I can't see myself doing anything else but be a doctor, I'm just not sure if my personality will stand in the way of that. A lot of these opinions come from other potential med students but I feel really stuckup when I say to myself that it's because they're trying to eliminate potential competition by discouraging others because what if they're right and I am wrong for this path? Anyway, is it right to say that the worst possible person for medicine is someone who's 'awkward' due to all the patient contact they'd have? Just trying to get some others opinions, thanks :3

if you really want it, let the admissions tutors decide... you can get over awkwardness so it's not an issue at this point.
Reply 3
Oh please, don't listen to your friends; there's a good chance they're just jealous of you.
Reply 4
If your going to listen to the haters, you don't deserve to do medicine, they teach us how to communicate more effectively so you have no reason to worry.
Get new mates, if I told you what I think you should say to your mates, I'll get banned from the forum :smile:
Reply 5
Sounds like the typical "friend doesn't think I am/should because they're jealous of me" scene.

Go for it if it's your dream, or if you want to study it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Who cares what they think?

People (including certain family members) have been telling me in subtle and not so subtle ways that I'm not suited to medicine either. For years. They can go stuff themselves.

Other people are only an issue if you let them be.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Democracy
Who cares what they think?

People (including certain family members) have been telling me in subtle and not so subtle ways that I'm not suited to medicine either. For years. They can go stuff themselves.

Other people are only an issue if you let them be.

I like this. :yes: He/she speaks the truth.
Reply 8
I don't know you personally - but my friend's are the exact same, and I just laugh it off. They mostly have no idea what they're doing with their lives and yet have no qualms criticising other's plans. When someone's criticism isn't at all constructive, they most like have a motive for criticising that isn't to help you. Many of my friends have greater flaws to their personality than awkwardness, and underneath it all are less self-secure than me. Some people will always readily tell you what you can't do, what's impossible - I derive motivation from that, with the desire to prove them wrong.
(edited 12 years ago)
Who cares. It's the admission tutors who decide. If you can do it and want to do it go for it!
Reply 10
Theres always the common misconception that there is a perfect medicine student but its really not the case. Theres are different roles and careers in medicine that can suit everyone. Seriously dwwwwwwwwwww, also what do you mean by awkward?
Don't let their opinions influence you. There will be a wide range of personality types in medicine.
Original post by Frankiej

Why the neg? -.- but I guess I missed the point, what I was trying to ask was do you think your personality can get in the way of your determination and maybe even your intellect? General question tbh, I was just trying to use my friends as an example :tongue:

As long as you know inside you'll make a good doctor and you'll be suited for the job then that's all that matters. Don't listen to your friends as they may be a bit jealous :tongue: and I'm pretty sure you're not that awkward. And who said awkward people can't be doctors - I've met loads of really really really...awkward doctors so "awkwardness" definitely isn't a downfall. In the end its the interviewers/admissions people who will decide whether you are suited for this career. Don't worry about what others are saying. :smile:
Reply 13
Just look at how awkward JD was in Scrubs and where how he ended up... :tongue:

But in all seriousness, you'll act differently around patients than you would with your friends, so I'm sure you would adopt the right approach to talking to them etc. :biggrin:
Did you not see Linden and Joseph in Holby City? :teehee:
Reply 15
you could always be a radiographer or an anethesatist or even a surgeon... they don't really talk to patients much.

Hope is not lost :wink:

I say go for it anyway and see what happens :smile:
have a bit of self confidence, but at the same time don't lie to yourself, know you knowledge limits!
Reply 17
lol what do your friends who about who's 'right' for medicine?
It's your dream so go for it and don't let them be in your way. Sounds like their just jealous tbh.
Reply 18
haters gona hate
Don't give a **** about what they think, just concentrate about what you want to do, and do the neccessary things to make it happen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending