The Student Room Group

journey into medicine: let's do it together!

heyy guys
so i'm looking for a medicine buddy; anyone applying for medicine this year and is currently in year 12, wanna be friends? :smile:

my name is sarah and i am 17 halfway through a levels so just at the end of year 12 rn; i do bio chem maths rs for my a levels, and i aspire to pursue a career in medicine

in my free time i scroll on tiktok lol, but i also love reading, crochet and fitness

i've been looking for a med buddy all year, just an accountability partner so we can struggle together and support each other, no competition just vibes

lets chat! :smile:
(edited 8 months ago)
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Reply 2
Original post by s.studies
heyy guys
so i'm looking for a medicine buddy lmao; anyone applying for medicine this year and is currently in year 12, wanna be friends? :smile:
my name is sarah and i am 17 halfway through a levels so just at the end of year 12 rn; i do bio chem maths rs for my a levels, and i aspire to pursue a career in medicine

in my free time i scroll on tiktok lol, but i also love reading, crochet and fitness

i've been looking for a med buddy all year pls, jus an accountability partner so we can struggle together and support each other, no competition jus vibes

thanks and God bless

What a lovely post. Good luck with your journey.

I am not an applicant, but I think you will find both this forum and the thread below really helpful - it has lots of moral support available.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7126857

You arent able to share personal info on this site so a lot of people seem to support eachother through the respective group thread. This is the undergrad A100 one.
(edited 9 months ago)
heyy guys
so i'm looking for a medicine buddy lmao; anyone applying for medicine this year and is currently in year 12, wanna be friends? :smile:

i've been looking for a med buddy all year pls, jus an accountability partner so we can struggle together and support each other, no competition jus vibes

thanks and God bless

im doing bio chemistry maths as well how was your ucat
Reply 4
Original post by Inittowinit.
im doing bio chemistry maths as well how was your ucat

heyy nice!
my ucat was extremely low actually i am still in shock and i did it just under a week ago
i'm actually at the moment looking at universities and trying to apply tactically because of my ucat, i really hope i can still get offers this year because i am quite academically strong and i know i can really make my personal statement stand out
how was your ucat? :smile:
heyy nice!
my ucat was extremely low actually i am still in shock and i did it just under a week ago
i'm actually at the moment looking at universities and trying to apply tactically because of my ucat, i really hope i can still get offers this year because i am quite academically strong and i know i can really make my personal statement stand out
how was your ucat? :smile:

I haven’t done it I wanna feel completely prepared. I was supposed to take it with my friends but I’ve changed it to early sep now lol. Any tips? Like what you’ve struggled with and what you did to practise. Kinda feel I’m naturally good at the questions it’s just the timing I always leave out questions but I’m finding my way around that slowly. what’s done is done my friend just go into med with A* A B with a really low ucat score all they told me was sjt band 1 nothing else so I’m assuming it wasn’t the best. Look at diff unis I beg don’t apply to Cambridge or smthn even tho that might be the dream. Anyways I got all As in chem bio business flopped the maths mock(in my defence I didn’t revise :wink:) I’ll tell you any some unis my friends got into but yea as long as u get good grades it’s ok. Let me know if you want to practise interviews together. I’m worried abt the personal statement tbh
(edited 8 months ago)
Heya! Are either of you planning on sitting the BMAT ??
Original post by manuelalala

honestly..no i dont really want to cuz a couple of my friends got 4 A* so im planning on just learning and starting revision asap like right after the ucat. i might give it just for fun but hopefully if the ucat goes well then no pressure. im also volunteering at a care home so could do without the added pressure. there's apparently an essay section and im convinced god changed my english gcse exam results cuz no way was i prepared for n A* (i suck at essays). look at the unis that req it if you wanna go there do it obv
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Inittowinit.
I haven’t done it I wanna feel completely prepared. I was supposed to take it with my friends but I’ve changed it to early sep now lol. Any tips? Like what you’ve struggled with and what you did to practise. Kinda feel I’m naturally good at the questions it’s just the timing I always leave out questions but I’m finding my way around that slowly. what’s done is done my friend just go into med with A* A B with a really low ucat score all they told me was sjt band 1 nothing else so I’m assuming it wasn’t the best. Look at diff unis I beg don’t apply to Cambridge or smthn even tho that might be the dream. Anyways I got all As in chem bio business flopped the maths mock(in my defence I didn’t revise :wink:) I’ll tell you any some unis my friends got into but yea as long as u get good grades it’s ok. Let me know if you want to practise interviews together. I’m worried abt the personal statement tbh

oh trust me oxbridge have no interest in me after that ucat loool
i'd say you've made a good decision giving yourself enough time, i wouldn't say i rushed it, but if i could have delayed it a little i definitely would have
i couldn't because i am very busy with other aspects of my application, and i knew ucat wasn't a strength anyways, so why waste time on it, at the expense of my academics?
my medify/medentry mocks were pretty good, just i struggled a lot in the real thing and i guess it was an 'off' day, which is a real shame; i also had technical difficulties on the day which i could appeal for really, but in all honesty i just don't have the time (or energy) to resit the ucat, so i'm just going to suck it up and try my best to get in this year still if not i'll unfortunately have to defer
my sjt was okay and most bmat unis will just look at that, lots of unis have really low cut off points too, and some hardly look at the ucat or use a point system

tips:
- really push yourself if you can, to train hard in verbal reasoning, if i got just 100/150 more points in VR i wouldn't be so disappointed with my overall score
- don't neglect SJT! it does seem like the easiest section, but some questions are quite misleading, wording of questions can change everything, because i went from consistently getting band 1s in practice to a band 2 in the real thing :/
- really get familiar with questions and use the mini mocks on medify to your advantage: i personally avoided them because they did stress me out a little, and i knew it may discourage me and cause me to lose my drive, which i slightly regret because they have challenging questions on them i'd say harder than the full mocks
- know that if it doesn't go as you hoped, that doesn't take away from the hard work you've put in, sometimes you will have off days which suck but it was bound to happen at some point in this journey into med, im just glad its happened now and not on a results day, don't let it discourage you from applying, some unis take scores as low as 2,300/2,400, lmk how it goes :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by manuelalala

definitely, much more up my street than the ucat
most unis i am interested in require it, and it would be dangerous for me to apply with just my ucat

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending