The Student Room Group

Instead of a gap year, can I do a 1 year course (something to do with health)?

I want to go in to dentistry but did not get an A prediction in Chemistry, so by the time I finish A2 and get my AAA, I'm planning on taking a gap year, however I want to stay in Education, are there any 1 year courses available for me to do?

I've looked at dental nursing (1 year) but it's not so 'appealing', +rep for any good suggestions.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Firstly you'd be better off asking in the dental forum, but IMO, you would be far better off spending the time doing lots of work experience, voluntary work, etc.
As the above poster mentioned, getting more work experience and voluntary work won't do your application any harm :smile:

You could also possibly do some tutoring, like up to GCSE level...
Do a language. :smile: Or something you've always liked... say, photography? Drama? You could do an NVQ in something and it could be useful in helping you get a part time job you'll enjoy.
If it's simply for the sake of continuing to learn, then you could consider doing a few OU modules alongside work exp, voluntary work, etc.
Original post by Osman1993
I want to go in to dentistry but did not get an A prediction in Chemistry, so by the time I finish A2 and get my AAA, I'm planning on taking a gap year, however I want to stay in Education, are there any 1 year courses available for me to do?

I've looked at dental nursing (1 year) but it's not so 'appealing', +rep for any good suggestions.

Osman did Dr Smith not predict you an A? I hope you made her realise the implications of her not doing so. And does that mean your amazing UKCAT will go to waste?
Reply 6
Original post by marc_h94

Original post by marc_h94
Osman did Dr Smith not predict you an A? I hope you made her realise the implications of her not doing so. And does that mean your amazing UKCAT will go to waste?

yes it's all a waste, I was not expecting this, I dislike her so much at the moment.
Thats really sad :frown: Is there no way that the teacher will predict you an A? :s-smilie: Teachers are so annoying sometimes
yes it's all a waste, I was not expecting this, I dislike her so much at the moment.

Can you not take it to someone higher up?
Reply 9
I'm wondering the same thing. I'm gonna be predicted an A but I doubt I'll get in. I want to do Medicine but my parents say I must be in some kind of education
Reply 10
Original post by flown_muse

Can you not take it to someone higher up?

I'm going to try head of sixth form tomorrow, but he can be so numb headed sometimes. Thank you I hope it works
I'm going to try head of sixth form tomorrow, but he can be so numb headed sometimes. Thank you I hope it works

Aye, and let me know what happens. If you get this before you speak to them, just let them know that you're not going to get into the course without AAA so there's no choice, that is going to be what you get. If they don't predict you that, then there's no point applying this year. And just promise to do whatever you have to to get that prediction, tutor, night classes, lunchtimes in classroom etc. Good luck and let me know what happens please. Don't take no for an answer!
Dental nursing? No, just no.

Just get loads of work experience and travel etc, dental nursing is surprisingly intensive and depending on the college you study with, a long slog.
Reply 13

Aye, and let me know what happens. If you get this before you speak to them, just let them know that you're not going to get into the course without AAA so there's no choice, that is going to be what you get. If they don't predict you that, then there's no point applying this year. And just promise to do whatever you have to to get that prediction, tutor, night classes, lunchtimes in classroom etc. Good luck and let me know what happens please. Don't take no for an answer!

thanks for you advice, but he just brushed it off with "I accept whatever my staff's decision is" so it appears like a lost hope for me. I was over insistent and he was sick of me, and kept indirectly telling me 'its a no, just leave now', he said that about 6 times, then I left after a lot of talking.

Original post by I<3LAMP
Dental nursing? No, just no.

Just get loads of work experience and travel etc, dental nursing is surprisingly intensive and depending on the college you study with, a long slog.

Surely dental nursing is not so difficult, the entry requirements are 80 terrif points! This is the only uni that does a 1 year dent nursing course: http://www.tees.ac.uk/undergraduate_courses/Health_&_Social_Care/Cert_HE_Dental_Nurse_Practice.cfm

I just want to remain in education, I have too much work experience to be honest (combination of 8 weeks of [shadowing 1 UK dentist, 2 dentists abroad, 1 dental lab). I really don't like making tea/coffee all the time! Anyhow, do you think this course is ok?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
I'd email the dental schools you want to enter about that.

They could get a bit finnicky about it if you're willing to take another course, even if it's dentistry related.
thanks for you advice, but he just brushed it off with "I accept whatever my staff's decision is" so it appears like a lost hope for me. I was over insistent and he was sick of me, and kept indirectly telling me 'its a no, just leave now', he said that about 6 times, then I left after a lot of talking.

Surely dental nursing is not so difficult, the entry requirements are 80 terrif points! This is the only uni that does a 1 year dent nursing course: http://www.tees.ac.uk/undergraduate_courses/Health_&_Social_Care/Cert_HE_Dental_Nurse_Practice.cfm

I just want to remain in education, I have too much work experience to be honest (combination of 8 weeks of [shadowing 1 UK dentist, 2 dentists abroad, 1 dental lab). I really don't like making tea/coffee all the time! Anyhow, do you think this course is ok?

Okay, can you get your parents to take it further for you or anything? If I was you I'd be going to depute rector or rector.

Dental Nursing isn't that hard no. My bf does it and he doesn't have any A Levels and C grades at GCSE. That said however, he's not thick and he thinks the course is too easy but it is a lot of work to do. The biology/chemistry will be easy, learning the instruments a little harder (there are many ofc! for different types of method and procedure) but what you will need to organise is the practical modules.

It may be different if you are doing it at Uni (I've not read your link :colondollar:) but with City & Guilds and private dental nursing schools you need to find work in a dental practice (which is hardly that easy in itself) train to be a nurse at college etc and use those skills whilst being invigilated. There is a written exam etc and a portfolio of practical and written exercises. It is easy in content but there is a lot to do.

Also I must add that this course is generally for those who enjoy the job but can't excel upwards to dentistry (like my bf for example) so you doing that is kind of setting yourself back and spending money for skills you may not necessarily use. Seems a little pointless imo unless you would be happy to settle for dental nursing if you don't get into dentistry.

You can learn the skills needed for dental nursing by simply watching them in action. I don't think it will necessarily help you learn how to be a good dentist. That's like me doing loads of work experience as a nurse and although being a nurse is great and they are the bulk of the health workforce learning how they operate doesn't help you learn how to be a good doctor. It's a weird thing because med applicants are encouraged to work in a healthcare capacity but it doesn't ring as true for dental applicants... :confused:

I just think your time could be better spent elsewhere.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17

Okay, can you get your parents to take it further for you or anything? If I was you I'd be going to depute rector or rector.

what could my parents do? If they said no to me, I don't think they would change their decisions if they just saw my parents, the same things said will be said again. I don't know what dep rector means :P

Original post by I<3LAMP

Thank you that was really informative. The main reason is that I want to stay in education, I don't want to work as a nurse :/
what could my parents do? If they said no to me, I don't think they would change their decisions if they just saw my parents, the same things said will be said again. I don't know what dep rector means :P

Thank you that was really informative. The main reason is that I want to stay in education, I don't want to work as a nurse :/

The headmaster or vice. Not sure how different schools refer to it :s-smilie:
Reply 19
Original post by I<3LAMP
Dental Nursing isn't that hard no. My bf does it and he doesn't have any A Levels and C grades at GCSE. That said however, he's not thick and he thinks the course is too easy but it is a lot of work to do. The biology/chemistry will be easy, learning the instruments a little harder (there are many ofc! for different types of method and procedure) but what you will need to organise is the practical modules.

It may be different if you are doing it at Uni (I've not read your link :colondollar:) but with City & Guilds and private dental nursing schools you need to find work in a dental practice (which is hardly that easy in itself) train to be a nurse at college etc and use those skills whilst being invigilated. There is a written exam etc and a portfolio of practical and written exercises. It is easy in content but there is a lot to do.

Also I must add that this course is generally for those who enjoy the job but can't excel upwards to dentistry (like my bf for example) so you doing that is kind of setting yourself back and spending money for skills you may not necessarily use. Seems a little pointless imo unless you would be happy to settle for dental nursing if you don't get into dentistry.

You can learn the skills needed for dental nursing by simply watching them in action. I don't think it will necessarily help you learn how to be a good dentist. That's like me doing loads of work experience as a nurse and although being a nurse is great and they are the bulk of the health workforce learning how they operate doesn't help you learn how to be a good doctor. It's a weird thing because med applicants are encouraged to work in a healthcare capacity but it doesn't ring as true for dental applicants... :confused:

What reactions does your BF get when he tells people he is a dental nurse?

Quick Reply

Latest