The Student Room Group

How much maintenance loan are you entitled to

I did a course before completing the degree and dropped out due to health related issues. Now I am looking to do another course in the university but its a 1 year foundation degree course. I want to use the qualifcation inget from that foundation year and then transfer to another university. I am aware I will have to handle the tuition fees on my own but what about maintenance. I did the calculation and this adds up to 8 years of maintenance fees from the court I dropped out of and the end of my desired course. Is there a set limit to how many years I can apply for only the maintenance loan. Should I just take a gap year instead of the foundation year and instead re do my A levels?
Original post by RoseCube
I did a course before completing the degree and dropped out due to health related issues. Now I am looking to do another course in the university but its a 1 year foundation degree course. I want to use the qualifcation inget from that foundation year and then transfer to another university. I am aware I will have to handle the tuition fees on my own but what about maintenance. I did the calculation and this adds up to 8 years of maintenance fees from the court I dropped out of and the end of my desired course. Is there a set limit to how many years I can apply for only the maintenance loan. Should I just take a gap year instead of the foundation year and instead re do my A levels?

Hi there, what is the new course you're looking to do? Thanks, Jason
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi there, what is the new course you're looking to do? Thanks, Jason

Hello
Thank you you for your reply.
It will be either be a stand alone foundation year or a foundation year that is integrated if I cannot find a stand alone one. I would prefer for it to be. A stand alone one. After that I will use the foundation year to help me access a normal 3 year Honours degree.

Hi there, how many years have you previously studied and is it a one year full time course you're looking to do and just require the maintenance loan? Can you also confirm the course name and if you've gained a qualification at the same level? Thanks, Jason
Hi there, how many years have you previously studied and is it a one year full time course you're looking to do and just require the maintenance loan? Can you also confirm the course name and if you've gained a qualification at the same level? Thanks, Jason

Hi Jason, thank you for your reply. I've actually changed my mind and I am just going to do a full four year course all together. Yes it's just the maintenance I require I know I'm likely only entitled to one year of tuition fee. The course is a full four year course. I did a foundation year previously but didn't get a degree just a certificate to say I completed a foundation year. I am still without any degree. The degree I will do now and hopefully complete will be my only Bachelors degree.
Hi Jason, thank you for your reply. I've actually changed my mind and I am just going to do a full four year course all together. Yes it's just the maintenance I require I know I'm likely only entitled to one year of tuition fee. The course is a full four year course. I did a foundation year previously but didn't get a degree just a certificate to say I completed a foundation year. I am still without any degree. The degree I will do now and hopefully complete will be my only Bachelors degree.

Hi Rose,

How many years did you attend previously?

Thanks, Clare
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi Rose,

How many years did you attend previously?

Thanks, Clare

4 years, didn't complete my degree
(edited 7 months ago)

Hi Rose,

Do you not hold a qualification? Thanks, Jason
Hi Rose,

Do you not hold a qualification? Thanks, Jason

Not a full degree just a foundation year certificate. Which is not a degree

Also one of these years was a compelling personal reasons year. Does that still count a a year of study or is that disregarded when calculating student finance.
Also one of these years was a compelling personal reasons year. Does that still count a a year of study or is that disregarded when calculating student finance.

Thanks Rose,

It does still count as a year of study but if you've been awarded the CPR this will show on the system for that year. So your calculation would be all years of the new course 4 years + 1 year = 5 and then minus the previous study which would be -4. Meaning you have one year of full funding left for your new course which would go to the final year of your course. You'd still be eligible for the maintenance loan and any supplementary grants for the other years. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending