The Student Room Group

Don't understand FB sometimes

Not content enough with making changes that very few people want, the arrival of this ticker has made things so cramped that when trying to hide the sidebar on chat it redirects back to the news feed homepage when all I want to do is shrink the sidebar like before, why?
In fact the bit at the bottom of the chat sidebar (you know, that tells you exactly how many peeps are online, along with two small boxes one of which is supposed to be "Hide Sidebar") gets so small and tiny when opening it to see who is on chat making it so tiny to click on, and scrolling the page down does nothing. How unco-ordinated is that? Why always having to fix things that ain't broke?
I remember the easy days when there was no such thing as a news feed, now it seems some users and newcomers have just almost changed the unwritten rules of how to communicate on there - e.g, apparently commenting on things in the news feed is the done thing now rather than going to a friend's profile.
Reply 1
Perhaps Facebook's UX team are high 24/7? I really don't know why they haven't done user acceptance testing before these changes.
Reply 2
Its understandable that you are outraged at the developers of a social website provided to you free because they have made changes with out your consent or approval?

/sarcasm
Reply 3
What I find really fking annoying is how it can randomly bring up your postings on other peoples walls due to that 'updates' thingy. Everyone can see your activity now, its unbelievably hard to hide anything.
Original post by TheDubs
What I find really fking annoying is how it can randomly bring up your postings on other peoples walls due to that 'updates' thingy. Everyone can see your activity now, its unbelievably hard to hide anything.

I don't think that is any different from before. But perhaps the most stoopid and pointless dipstick change is the private messages. What kind of dumb idea is it to merge every message you have had with someone in to one thread regardless of how long ago your messages were, whether they were short or long ones, whether the subject matter was different? UNG UNG UNG

And by the way, is anybody going to actually answer the query raised in the first post?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by robocop1andahalf
I don't think that is any different from before. But perhaps the most stoopid and pointless dipstick change is the private messages. What kind of dumb idea is it to merge every message you have had with someone in to one thread regardless of how long ago your messages were, whether they were short or long ones, whether the subject matter was different? UNG UNG UNG

Exactly! It's been annoying ever since. :mad: In the old days, you would be able to add subject to your message, which I thought was pretty organised. Now all messages; either private ones or chats are merged into one. I understand the idea of putting everything in one place, but like you said, even if the subject matter was different?! Haha, at least fb should have some kind of filtering to display chat and private messages individually.
Original post by Dhanoo
Exactly! It's been annoying ever since. :mad: In the old days, you would be able to add subject to your message, which I thought was pretty organised. Now all messages; either private ones or chats are merged into one. I understand the idea of putting everything in one place, but like you said, even if the subject matter was different?! Haha, at least fb should have some kind of filtering to display chat and private messages individually.

It worked like a regular email service - so why change it and mess it all up? So what if you have exchanged more than 50 messages with one person? Can't they understand that they may all be about different subjects, of different length and from different times. Why would anyone want to merge a message from two weeks ago with one from five years ago? How totally like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOQGqQuqn7M
The question was - how do you close the sidebar without being redirected to the home page?
If you zoom your facebook in one notch more, you get the old style chat with the boxes on the left and no permanent sidebar. Much easier.
Yes, clicking on the far bottom right bit that says "Hide Sidebar" sometimes redirected to the home page/news feed. And the trouble is that when clicking to open the chat window, the options bit (with the "go offline" and "hide sidebar" options") becomes so small that only see half of it on the screen so have to be really accurate when clicking. It is just so scopey.

Sometimes it redirects, sometimes it doesn't and all that happens is that the sidebar is hidden as I would like.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by robocop1andahalf
And the trouble is that when clicking to open the chat window, the options bit (with the "go offline" and "hide sidebar" options") becomes so small that only see half of it on the screen so have to be really accurate when clicking. It is just so scopey.

Sometimes it redirects, sometimes it doesn't and all that happens is that the sidebar is hidden as I would like.

that might just be your computer man. I don't think i have this problem, and a lot of others don't seem to either :confused:
Original post by Osc-31
that might just be your computer man. I don't think i have this problem, and a lot of others don't seem to either :confused:

And how could my computer be the reason? It works fine and displays all things otherwise.
Original post by alexmagpie
If you zoom your facebook in one notch more, you get the old style chat with the boxes on the left and no permanent sidebar. Much easier.

Omg I :love: you.
Reply 13
I want to ask to ask the Facebook team... "What's on your mind?". SInce I am not a very active member, FB's new design freak me out the last time i opened my account. Whatda? What is up with the moving thingies in the sidebar???What happened to the chatbox? :angry:
And the other thing that narks off lately is all these flippin sodding "Like Pages", especially when in place of groups. Like this, like that, like the other. And what else is seeing "Pages" like this http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/15130624. It's not so much the content of it but rather THE FACT THAT IT IS A FLIPPIN FAN PAGE RATHER THAN A GROUP, as this is the sort of thing I thought groups were created for, and "Fan Pages" or "Like Pages" (Gawd, I am so sick of hearing the L-word, the more it occurs the more naff it sounds) were for promoting celebs, films, bands, brands, TV shows and things along that line NOT making a statement as that is what the purpose of groups was. Makes hardly any sense nowadays.
Especially creating a tribute page to anyone that has passed away (something that I thought was what "Groups" and not "Fan/Like Pages" were for). So when somebody becomes a fan of, or rather "likes" a RIP tribute page it says So-and-so likes/became a fan of (or whatever confusing terminology) "RIP so-and-so") So you telling me you like the fact that someone has died? Woah, sounds so wrong. :angry: :erm:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending