The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ben-smith
x(x+2)(x+4)(x+6)+16=x4+12x3+44x2+48x+16=(x2+6x+4)2 x(x+2)(x+4)(x+6)+16=x^4+12x^3+44x^2+48x+16=(x^2+6x+4)^2

What method did you use to work out that x4+12x3+44x2+48x+16=(x2+6x+4)2x^4+12x^3+44x^2+48x+16=(x^2+6x+4)^2? I didn't have a clue how to do that bit.

(Think this is probably a really stupid question :redface:).
hey does anyone know any step questions that don't need C3 trig or C4 knowledge (not done it yet)
thanks
Original post by anyone_can_fly
What method did you use to work out that x4+12x3+44x2+48x+16=(x2+6x+4)2x^4+12x^3+44x^2+48x+16=(x^2+6x+4)^2? I didn't have a clue how to do that bit.

(Think this is probably a really stupid question :redface:).

The question implies that it can be written in the form [quadratic]^2. It is also fairly obvious that the coefficients are going to be integers so right away we know that the first term is x^2 and the last is 4. We are left with one other coefficient to find, I was feeling lazy at the time so I just called it a, expanded the expression, equated coefficients to give me a=6. Some people can just factorise things like that in their heads.
Reply 1723
Original post by like_a_star
hey does anyone know any step questions that don't need C3 trig or C4 knowledge (not done it yet)
thanks

A small goat is tethered by a rope to a fixed point at ground level on a square barn which stands in a horizontal field of grass. The sides of the barn are of length 2a and the rope is of length 4a. Let A be the area of the grass that the goat can graze. Prove that A <(or equal to) 14π(a^2) (π=pi) and determine the minimum value of A.

Here's a hint if you are struggling.

Spoiler

The answer will require a diagram so I can't really type it up clearly, but if anyone wants my answer I will happily provide although it may not make much sense if you aren't thinking along the right lines.
(edited 12 years ago)
The question implies that it can be written in the form [quadratic]^2. It is also fairly obvious that the coefficients are going to be integers so right away we know that the first term is x^2 and the last is 4. We are left with one other coefficient to find, I was feeling lazy at the time so I just called it a, expanded the expression, equated coefficients to give me a=6. Some people can just factorise things like that in their heads.

Oh of course, thanks :smile:
I'm defiantly applying to do maths finished my personal statement today :smile:. Currently thinking kings ucl royal holloway city and Kingston :smile:
Original post by LoveLifeHate

I'm defiantly applying to do maths finished my personal statement today :smile:. Currently thinking kings ucl royal holloway city and Kingston :smile:

Whom are you defying?
Definitely* damn iPhone spell corrections :frown:
Original post by deejayy
A small goat is tethered by a rope to a fixed point at ground level on a square barn which stands in a horizontal field of grass. The sides of the barn are of length 2a and the rope is of length 4a. Let A be the area of the grass that the goat can graze. Prove that A <(or equal to) 14π(a^2) (π=pi) and determine the minimum value of A.

Here's a hint if you are struggling.

Spoiler

The answer will require a diagram so I can't really type it up clearly, but if anyone wants my answer I will happily provide although it may not make much sense if you aren't thinking along the right lines.

I've done this one, it was my first every complete solution haha :biggrin:
Gcse's: 3A*s 3As 2Bs
A levels: Maths A*(finished a year early), Further Maths, Physics, chemistry
Applying to: Cambridge, Bath, Durham, Southampton, Lancaster
Original post by ccfcadam36
Gcse's: 3A*s 3As 2Bs
A levels: Maths A*(finished a year early), Further Maths, Physics, chemistry
Applying to: Cambridge, Bath, Durham, Southampton, Lancaster

Woo Lancaster!!!!!!
Good luck!!

That was obviously too easy :tongue:

This is one of my favourites: Prove
e((x2)/2) dx=2π\int^{\infty}_{-\infty} e^{-((x^2)/2)} \ dx = \sqrt{2\pi}
Original post by TheMagicMan

Meh, bookwork. You turn it into a double integral and convert to polar coordinates. That result is too famous to ask as a brain teaser.
Beautiful result though.

Lol Gaussian Integral :smile:... Brilliant question but I don't have the time now to write all that on LaTeX...

:colone: :woo:
Now that I am doing Maths in University, it's surprising how many idiots manage to get in there. It's like I'm in A-level again.
Meh, bookwork. You turn it into a double integral and convert to polar coordinates. That result is too famous to ask as a brain teaser.
Beautiful result though.

Ok then. Prove it without any change of variable or transform.

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Ok then. Prove it without any change of variable or transform.

I'd have to be Gauss to do that:tongue:
I'd have to be Gauss to do that:tongue:

see my now spoilered hint in my above post
Woo, I did Q4 of STEP I 2005 today, I was pleased, my second serious attempt and it was also successful! But I know 2005 is the easy paper so I'm not too happy either way.

Latest