The Student Room Group

Hardest part of chemistry AS/A Level?

It's been 6 weeks and one topic for me, but I can already say it seems to be calculations for me at the moment.

Is it unusual for a math AS student to find calculations difficult in other subjects...? :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kanra
It's been 6 weeks and one topic for me, but I can already say it seems to be calculations for me at the moment.

Is it unusual for a math AS student to find calculations difficult in other subjects...? :s-smilie:

Its more about understanding why you are doing a particular calculation rather than the actual math being difficult.

Most of the math in A Level Chem is simple addition, subtraction, division, multiplication and the odd log equations when calculating pKa or pH.
Reply 2
Enthalpy change, more specifically the hess cycle :s-smilie:
Reply 3
Original post by Ari Ben Canaan
Its more about understanding why you are doing a particular calculation rather than the actual math being difficult.

Most of the math in A Level Chem is simple addition, subtraction, division, multiplication and the odd log equations when calculating pKa or pH.

I agree completely! I can never really recall which calculations relate to each question :frown: Probably should have specified that in the original post...
Reply 4
Organic chem :banghead:
Reply 5
Original post by ElMoro
Organic chem :banghead:

Organic was the best :love:

Original post by kanra
I agree completely! I can never really recall which calculations relate to each question :frown: Probably should have specified that in the original post...

Don't worry too much, I think as you go on you start to recall and get more into 'thinking like a chemist' about things.

Maybe stick some sticky notes up around in various places with equations on and ask yourself to recall what they're used for everytime you walk by them (or stick what they're used for up and recall the formular etc.)
I hate organic chem with a passion. At AS I hated it and now continue to do so at A2.
Original post by NutterFrutter
I hate organic chem with a passion. At AS I hated it and now continue to do so at A2.

Same, not a fan of Organic chemistry.
Reply 8
what part of chemistry isn't hard?! I miss the days of the simpler calculation, good luck [:
Reply 9
Original post by Hanz_a93

Original post by Hanz_a93
Enthalpy change, more specifically the hess cycle :s-smilie:

Really? That's the easiest thing I've done so far.
Reply 10
I've done Chemical Quantities and Energetics so far (the first two parts of unit 1). It's been quite difficult and Chem is probably my most difficult subject although tbh once you get used to it it's not too difficult.
Reply 11
Original post by kanra

Hess cycle/enthalpy change in AS and N.M.R in A2
Chemistry of Life/Design and Materials if you're doing CIE. I personally dislike anything to do with drawing diagrams (born haber cycles) or remembering the countless mechanisms of organic chemistry reactions.
Only done moles, Atomic Structure and Periodicity so far...only got bonding+nomeclature before we finish Unit 1 (AQA). Aparently Nomeclature is fun, and bonding is just gcse recap, with the some new elements...(pun not intended:P)
Original post by Boom533

Original post by Boom533
Only done moles, Atomic Structure and Periodicity so far...only got bonding+nomeclature before we finish Unit 1 (AQA). Aparently Nomeclature is fun, and bonding is just gcse recap, with the some new elements...(pun not intended:P)

Nomenclature is fun? :lolwut: You got told a lie!!! :colonhash:
Reply 15
For me it's the advanced parts of organic chem (diazonium compounds and generally compounds with benzene rings) and transition metals simply because the content is so huge :dry:
Calculations are always difficult to begin with, not because the maths is difficult, but because it's often hard to know which calculation to apply to the question. You get better at them though with time and practice. I quite like organic, but some people hate it, I don't think it's that difficult. Energy, equilibrium etc. can be tricky, but just learn the standard rules and it's not too bad. I'd say the hardest part is things like mechanisms, electrophiles and nucleophiles, dipoles etc., I'm just really bad at remember exactly what is attracted to what, and which electrons move where, and where to draw the arrows... ugh. I don't like the questions that require pure memory either ie. 'what colour does this reaction produce', or 'what is the definition of _____'.

Each person has their strengths and weaknesses, I've completed AS and probably 1/3 of A2, and I can't really think of anything specifically difficult. Haven't got onto transition metals yet, which looks beastly. Chemistry in general is difficult, so just get used to the style of questions you'll be asked.
Original post by maths time is here
Chemistry of Life/Design and Materials if you're doing CIE. I personally dislike anything to do with drawing diagrams (born haber cycles) or remembering the countless mechanisms of organic chemistry reactions.

The most interesting part for me actually :biggrin:

What's not fun about learning how to name hexacyanoferrate(II)? :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)

D: One set is already doing it, and they said it was fun :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending