The Student Room Group

Maths Uni Chat

Scroll to see replies

Original post by assmaster
That's like my second year, except only 2 lectures and problems class per week for each module. Plus problem sheets.

Last year I got 2+1 for each module, odd how contact time is increasing...
Reply 7141
Original post by trollbuster
who beat Gowers to become Senior Wrangler in 1984?

Well it wasn't Imre Leader. He ****ed it up. Do you know who beat both him and Gowers, or do we have to guess?
Original post by trollbuster
5 for the college other than Trinity to have got two SWs most recently.
And 5 for naming two SWs since 1990 from Colleges founded after 1550.

I count Caius as an old college, so it wasn't them.

The two colleges founded between 1550 and 1800, i.e. Sidney and Emma, have both had SWs. But has anyone ever got to be Senior Wrangler from a post-1800 college?? Generally speaking, the support just isn't there.

Maybe Churchill once got the SW? Other than that, I don't think the SW has ever come from a "new" college.

The "new" colleges are:
Downing 1800
Fitzwilliam 1869
Girton 1869
Newnham 1871
Selwyn 1882
Hughes Hall 1885
St Edmund's 1896
Murray Edwards 1954
Churchill 1960
Lucy Cavendish 1965
Wolfson 1965
Homerton 1976
Robinson 1977

If there has ever been an SW from one of these, who was it, and when?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7142
Original post by Owl_492
Well it wasn't Imre Leader. He ****ed it up. Do you know who beat both him and Gowers, or do we have to guess?

I count Caius as an old college, so it wasn't them.

The two colleges founded between 1550 and 1800, i.e. Sidney and Emma, have both had SWs. But has anyone ever got to be Senior Wrangler from a post-1800 college?? Generally speaking, the support just isn't there.

Maybe Churchill once got the SW? Other than that, I don't think the SW has ever come from a "new" college.

The "new" colleges are:
Downing 1800
Fitzwilliam 1869
Girton 1869
Newnham 1871
Selwyn 1882
Hughes Hall 1885
St Edmund's 1896
Murray Edwards 1954
Churchill 1960
Lucy Cavendish 1965
Wolfson 1965
Homerton 1976
Robinson 1977

If there has ever been an SW from one of these, who was it, and when?

Newnham had an 'above the senior wrangler', but that's all I can think of there.
Original post by Slumpy
Newnham had an 'above the senior wrangler', but that's all I can think of there.

I.e., the woman who took the old-style tripos and topped the rankings but wasn't counted because the wrangler list could only include men?
Reply 7144
Original post by shamika
I.e., the woman who took the old-style tripos and topped the rankings but wasn't counted because the wrangler list could only include men?

I think it wasn't just the wrangler list, but the entire degree list could only include men. But yes.
Original post by Slumpy
But yes.

Sigh. Well at least the wrong is now righted.
Original post by Slumpy

So not counting Philippa Fawcett, it's looking as though:

none of the 13 new colleges (post-1800) have ever had a Senior Wrangler;
and all of the 16 old colleges (pre-1800) have had at least one!!

Amazing!

Is it certain that no woman has ever been SW?? I would have thought if a woman had been, since 1909, news would have leaked out...but that's just surmise...

Old colleges:

Peterhouse 1284
Clare 1326
Pembroke 1347
Gonville and Caius 1348
Trinity Hall 1350
Corpus Christi 1352
Magdalene 1428
King's 1441
Queens' 1448
St Catharine's 1473
Jesus 1496
Christ's 1505
St John's 1511
Trinity 1546
Emmanuel 1584
Sidney Sussex 1596
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7147
Original post by ambience
So not counting Philippa Fawcett, it's looking as though:

none of the 13 new colleges (post-1800) have ever had a Senior Wrangler;
and all of the 16 old colleges (pre-1800) have had at least one!!

Amazing!

Is it certain that no woman has ever been SW?? I would have thought if a woman had been, since 1909, news would have leaked out...but that's just surmise...

No real idea, she's just mentioned on the senior wrangler wikipedia page:p:
Do students use calc at university (if yes, is casio gx9750 good enough?) ? And are problems more like A-level style (straightforward) or you have to think a bit to get the answer (like olympiads and stuff)?
Reply 7149
Original post by Dog4444
Do students use calc at university (if yes, is casio gx9750 good enough?) ? And are problems more like A-level style (straightforward) or you have to think a bit to get the answer (like olympiads and stuff)?

No calculator.
You have to think a bit.
Original post by Dog4444

Whether you need a calculator and what kind depends strongly on what university and what course. Look on the relevant department's website. For personal work you can of course use whatever you like, and there are free downloadable graphing calculators (like gcalc) which are more than adequate.
Reply 7151
Original post by Dog4444

Original post by Dog4444

I wouldn't go buying anything to come to uni. We're only allowed to use a uni issued calculator in our exams, same as most unis I'd have thought.
Reply 7152
Original post by Dog4444

www.wolframalpha.com
Ok, what about problems than? Are problems more like A-level style (straightforward) or you have to think a bit to get the answer (like olympiads and stuff)?
Original post by Dog4444
Ok, what about problems than? Are problems more like A-level style (straightforward) or you have to think a bit to get the answer (like olympiads and stuff)?

Neither.

It depends what year, but first couple of weeks are like A level style. Then, it becomes nothing like A levels or Olympiad.

For example I'm in my third year. I'm doing all pure stuff. Yet, in all my modules, I'm not doing any calculus or analysis. Literally, the series stuff you get in A levels or Olympiad or flashy use of inequality in olympiad isn't in here.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7155
I agree with simps its neither
What are they like?
Original post by Dog4444
What are they like?

http://maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/examplesheets/

(search other universities for other examples. I'd be surprised if you understand what many questions mean but still worth a look)
Original post by Simplicity
Neither.

It depends what year, but first couple of weeks are like A level style. Then, it becomes nothing like A levels or Olympiad.

So, then it becomes like what?

Original post by shamika
http://maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/examplesheets/

(search other universities for other examples. I'd be surprised if you understand what many questions mean but still worth a look)

Saw it, but can't do them so I can't say anything.
Original post by Dog4444
So, then it becomes like what?

That depends what subject you do.

It's a stupid question. Nobody can answer it. For example, I have no clue what model theory or say analytical number theory.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest