The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2800
Original post by BeccaCath94
Whos doing the Maths Challenge tomorrow?
Are you looking forward to it??
:smile:

I'm doing it...I have four golds and two silvers in my last six attempts.
Hopefully I can break the 100 barrier this time :colone:...and also not get beaten by my younger brother O.o...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2801
Original post by Edwin Okli
I am (and most people here should probably be doing it too). I have a free the period before the Maths Challenge so I'm not sure whether to look through some past questions (I've done it the past two years anyway) or just to go in and exercise some raw mathematical skill. Decisions…

Pshhh...clearly this should be an task in which one goes in completely raw and sees how far their brain/13 years under the influence of the british education system can take them xD
I am (and most people here should probably be doing it too). I have a free the period before the Maths Challenge so I'm not sure whether to look through some past questions (I've done it the past two years anyway) or just to go in and exercise some raw mathematical skill. Decisions…

Lucky you... we have to start it 9am sharp...

It probably won't hurt to do a bit of practise, but raw mathematical skill is enough to get a gold :wink: Ideally, I'd like to qualify to BMO1 this year.

True..... :tongue: :eek: what time does your school start? We're doing the maths challenge period 1 (which i have a free for anyway...) which starts at 8.35! I havent looked at any past questions but to be fair its pretty hard to compare all the papers as the questions are so different...

Original post by SParm
I'm doing it...I have four golds and two silvers in my las six attempts.
Hopefully I can break the 100 barrier this time :colone:...and also not get beaten by my younger brother O.o...

Wow! Well done :biggrin: Have you got past the first 'round' before then? I've done it ever since year 8 so this will be my 6th time and i've got 2 silvers and a gold so far. I didnt really want to do it this year as I did the senior one lst year and it was soo hard and i didnt even get a bronze but i am so.....
:eek: How clever is your younger brother???
But to be fair theres this boy in year 9 at my school who has done GCSE and AS and is learning A2 at the moment then will go onto further maths....its crazy!!!

Original post by SParm
Pshhh...clearly this should be an task in which one goes in completely raw and sees how far their brain/13 years under the influence of the british education system can take them xD

I havent done any revision for it and to be fair i dont think you really can...all the questions are different and although mathematical you dont really need any knowledge as such....
Whos doing the Maths Challenge tomorrow?
Are you looking forward to it??
:smile:

Mee. Didn't do too great last year cause I hadn't done it in three or so years (was living in Saudi Arabia "/) and hardly did any practice. Hopefully do better this year =)

Anyone doing the senior team challenge as well?
Original post by Beth1234
Lucky you... we have to start it 9am sharp...

It probably won't hurt to do a bit of practise, but raw mathematical skill is enough to get a gold :wink: Ideally, I'd like to qualify to BMO1 this year.

Yeah same. We're doing it at 8.35...... :s-smilie:
I'm doing the challenge. Fell ill during the exam last year and only squeezed out a Silver. Hoping for BMO1 and if I'm being really hopeful, BMO2 this year :smile:
Original post by laughylolly
Mee. Didn't do too great last year cause I hadn't done it in three or so years (was living in Saudi Arabia "/) and hardly did any practice. Hopefully do better this year =)

Anyone doing the senior team challenge as well?

Ooh good luck :biggrin:
I've done it every year since year 8...
Original post by hassi94
I'm doing the challenge. Fell ill during the exam last year and only squeezed out a Silver. Hoping for BMO1 and if I'm being really hopeful, BMO2 this year :smile:

:eek: Only got a silver........ I didnt even get a bronze last year :frown:
The senior MC is too hard!!!!
Does anybody know what the grade boundaries usually are? My school has advised me to focus on the first 15 questions alone as that'll be enough for a Silver :confused: what is a BMO1 btw?
Reply 2810
True..... :tongue: :eek: what time does your school start? We're doing the maths challenge period 1 (which i have a free for anyway...) which starts at 8.35! I havent looked at any past questions but to be fair its pretty hard to compare all the papers as the questions are so different...

Wow! Well done :biggrin: Have you got past the first 'round' before then? I've done it ever since year 8 so this will be my 6th time and i've got 2 silvers and a gold so far. I didnt really want to do it this year as I did the senior one lst year and it was soo hard and i didnt even get a bronze but i am so.....
:eek: How clever is your younger brother???
But to be fair theres this boy in year 9 at my school who has done GCSE and AS and is learning A2 at the moment then will go onto further maths....its crazy!!!

I havent done any revision for it and to be fair i dont think you really can...all the questions are different and although mathematical you dont really need any knowledge as such....

A couple of years ago, I did the kangaroo...which is like a very poor man's olympiad I think xD? Don't really know how to explain it. I'm sure you'll do fine this year :wink:...I did better last year than I had done in the intermediate and junior maths challenges...I was just more selective with the questions I answered I guess. My brother isn't THAT much smarter than me :P, I think he just likes these maths challenges...he's done the olympiad at a more junior level a couple of times.

That kid is year 9 and doing all that? What a keen bean :P
Original post by SParm
A couple of years ago, I did the kangaroo...which is like a very poor man's olympiad I think xD? Don't really know how to explain it. I'm sure you'll do fine this year :wink:...I did better last year than I had done in the intermediate and junior maths challenges...I was just more selective with the questions I answered I guess. My brother isn't THAT much smarter than me :P, I think he just likes these maths challenges...he's done the olympiad at a more junior level a couple of times.

Ahh yeah i've heard of that... :smile:
Ooh very good :biggrin: I did better at the intermediate maths challenge... Yeah i dont really like the fact you can lose marks on every question!! :eek:
The one thing about the maths challenge in general is none are trick questions but sometimes you dont get any of the answers......agghh!!
I quite enjoy them im just not that great! Theres two boys in my year who do really well in it and get a medal!!
Hahaha i know....show off :tongue:
Original post by -Illmatic-
Does anybody know what the grade boundaries usually are? My school has advised me to focus on the first 15 questions alone as that'll be enough for a Silver :confused: what is a BMO1 btw?

I think it's like 50 for a silver - can't remember though I'll try find them online.

British Mathematical Olympiad Round 1 is a secondary round to the UKMT which you qualify for if you are in the top 1000 scorers in the country for the senior UKMT. :smile: BMO2 is the top 100 of those 1000 people.

Original post by SParm

I did the kangaroo in Year 11 :tongue: It's the top 2000 scorers. Also got onto the intermediate olympiad (Hamilton) in Year 10 which is the top 500 :smile:
I'll be doing the SMC too.

Here's the official thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=34810757.

Be sure to be there tomorrow with your views on how the paper went!
Original post by hassi94
I think it's like 50 for a silver - can't remember though I'll try find them online.

Not quite. :tongue: Last year it was 58 for bronze, 70 for silver, 85 for gold and 96 to qualify for BMO1.
Original post by safmaster
Not quite. :tongue: Last year it was 58 for bronze, 70 for silver, 85 for gold and 96 to qualify for BMO1.

Really? :P I swear I got like 57 and a silver hahaha :P

And it's 96 for BMO1!? Isn't that 24/25 questions correct!?
Original post by hassi94
Really? :P I swear I got like 57 and a silver hahaha :P

And it's 96 for BMO1!? Isn't that 24/25 questions correct!?

It would be... if you didn't start off with 25 marks (which you do :tongue:). This way nobody can get a negative score, given that you lose a mark for every question you get wrong (as you must know).
Gonna destroy this SMC tomorrow
Original post by safmaster
It would be... if you didn't start off with 25 marks (which you do :tongue:). This way nobody can get a negative score, given that you lose a mark for every question you get wrong (as you must know).

Oh yeah god I've just forgotten everything hahaha. Silly me - thanks a lot for that.
Yeah same. We're doing it at 8.35...... :s-smilie:

:eek: Why so early?

We're starting at 9, and the people doing it in my school get 1 hour to relax afterwards before starting lessons after break :biggrin: Having said that... they did pick a time when most of us had private study anyway :rolleyes:

This is the second time I'm doing it. Last time was three years ago XD

Latest