The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2940
Original post by Mathelete
GOT A UCL OFFER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Unconditional! :wink:

Excellent! which Maths course at UCL?

Have you already completed your A levels? Are you a re-applicant or first time applicant?
Original post by Femto
I have an interview at Manchester tomorrow - does anybody know what this entails? I'm really nervous!

I had mine today :tongue:

Free lunch, a tedious half hour talk about the course, a slightly more interesting talk by an eccentric German lecturer, an hour being shown around the campus then you get interviewed

They're all dead quick informal interviews, basically you have an offer anyway. Some people don't do any maths at all in it but I got asked about this infinite sum, someone else was asked about e^ix and stuff, while others talked about their personal statement for the whole thing
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
What exactly do the maths challenges test then, if not ones aptitude for mathematics?

Well, the thing with a lot of the questions is that you just need to see a trick - a way of looking at the question. Most of the solutions are really short, so if you were really good at seeing these tricks you could potentially manage 125 - but that wouldn't necessarily mean you're good at complex problems requiring rigorous proof.

Original post by anyone_can_fly
Got my Warwick offer! :woo: :woo: :woo:

Any other Scots heard back yet?

Original post by laughylolly
SAMEE!! YAYY AT LAST! I knew it was cause we are Scottish :L

Do you know what your conditions are? Hasn't given me mine yet...

Oh no, you're going to make me paranoid, I'll be sitting in the study room refreshing Track in my free periods tomorrow... :tongue:

When did you both send your applications?

WELL DONE btw!! :L
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2943
Original post by dnumberwang
I had mine today :tongue:

Free lunch, a tedious half hour talk about the course, a slightly more interesting talk by an eccentric German lecturer, an hour being shown around the campus then you get interviewed

They're all dead quick informal interviews, basically you have an offer anyway. Some people don't do any maths at all in it but I got asked about this infinite sum, someone else was asked about e^ix and stuff, while others talked about their personal statement for the whole thing

:eek: Aah right :cool:

Sounds cool and as expected. It said on my information leaflet that there'd be a buffet - nice! Ok, I may need to revise my PS a bit then just in case?
Original post by derangedyoshi
Well, the thing with a lot of the questions is that you just need to see a trick - a way of looking at the question. Most of the solutions are really short, so if you were really good at seeing these tricks you could potentially manage 125 - but that wouldn't necessarily mean you're good at complex problems requiring rigorous proof.

Oh no, you're going to make me paranoid, I'll be sitting in the study room refreshing Track in my free periods tomorrow... :tongue:

When did you both send your applications?

WELL DONE btw!! :L

Have you not got yours yet? I sent my application on the 7th of Oct. And thanks!! I hope you get yours soon too!
ucl 30th november anyone? the email says an offer but I will believe it only when it appears on my track :colone:
Original post by laughylolly
Have you not got yours yet? I sent my application on the 7th of Oct. And thanks!! I hope you get yours soon too!

Nope, I'm still waiting. But to be fair I sent mine on the 14th, a full week after you - maybe I'll get it tomorrow or Friday. Thanks - fingers crossed :P
Original post by Femto
:eek: Aah right :cool:

Sounds cool and as expected. It said on my information leaflet that there'd be a buffet - nice! Ok, I may need to revise my PS a bit then just in case?

Yeah, just in case, although you might be lucky like me and talk about maths for the whole interview :cool:
Original post by Rahul.S

Original post by Rahul.S
ucl 30th november anyone? the email says an offer but I will believe it only when it appears on my track :colone:

yup, just got the invitation two hours ago but i applied for maths with statistical science instead of straight maths. application was processed on october 15 if anybody is interested in that kind of stuff
Reply 2949
Original post by dnumberwang
Yeah, just in case, although you might be lucky like me and talk about maths for the whole interview :cool:

Ok cheers - when does it end by the way?
I got an acknowledgement from Sheffield and it says "choice number 3" ... Does this just mean its the 3rd alphabetically out of my choices?
Original post by twig
Congrats. Where else are you applying? Is UCL your first choice? Going to one of their open days soon.

Ya the one on the 30th of November? You going too? Yes it is very much my first choice expect for oxford but I have a better chance of winning euro million so yes!! =]
Original post by new123
Excellent! which Maths course at UCL?

Have you already completed your A levels? Are you a re-applicant or first time applicant?

I am a Gap Year Student. I got A* A* B
A* in Mathematics and Further Mathematics and B in chemistry which I will resit an exam and get to an A maybe?!

I didnt apply last year cause I wanted to see the world first and didnt really think the higher fees will come in... boy was I wrong...
Reply 2953
Original post by Mathelete
I am a Gap Year Student. I got A* A* B
A* in Mathematics and Further Mathematics and B in chemistry which I will resit an exam and get to an A maybe?!

I didnt apply last year cause I wanted to see the world first and didnt really think the higher fees will come in... boy was I wrong...

Does UCL require only A* A* B as they already gave you unconditional?
come on UCL! :frown:
Original post by BeccaCath94

Original post by BeccaCath94
I got an acknowledgement from Sheffield and it says "choice number 3" ... Does this just mean its the 3rd alphabetically out of my choices?

They don't know what other universities that you've applied to so why would they be given their place alphabetically out of your choices?
Original post by mpc1

Ya I guess they ar ehappy with that! I also have 1 in Step I. So Maybe thats why?! I want to get my chemistry to an A as it annoys me that B... like a stain on my result sheet...
Original post by mpc1

Basically dont want you to apply there thinking its ok... cause I may be a special case... i also did 2 months work experience with UCL's pHd student so ya...
Original post by ben-smith
come on UCL! :frown:

My Friend didnt get an offer yet and he has got all A* in GCSE and 4 A* in A Levels! So I wont worry! Last year most people got their UCL offer by February!
Reply 2959
Just got a triple A offer from Kings, anyone else heard?

Latest