The Student Room Group

HYMS Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Do you think I should assume a rejection if I haven't heard by now?
Original post by dragonfly647
50 out of 110. :smile:

In that case, would an applicant who just met the cut-off score (which I'm sure no one is aware of yet) need practically full interview marks to get an offer :confused:
Original post by AmbitiousMedic
In that case, would an applicant who just met the cut-off score (which I'm sure no one is aware of yet) need practically full interview marks to get an offer :confused:

Only if the cut-off score is as low as 21!
Reply 263
The cut off for interview was 32/60 last year, 50 points from personal statement and 10 from ukcat.
Original post by H-22
The cut off for interview was 32/60 last year, 50 points from personal statement and 10 from ukcat.

Wow that does seem quite low :/ I'm assuming they must assess the UCAS form fairly strictly then :eek:
What's everybody wearing for the interviews? I was going to wear a suit but on the letter it says whatever you feel comfortable in and i don't want to be the only in a suit!!
Reply 266
Original post by Hoplitemoose
What's everybody wearing for the interviews? I was going to wear a suit but on the letter it says whatever you feel comfortable in and i don't want to be the only in a suit!!

I think I'm going to go quite formal, I think by comfortable they also mean comfortable and appropriate for an interview. In the letter it says "smart and not too casual". But if anyone who is already at HYMS could tell us what kind of thing to wear that would be great! :tongue:
Well done to all you guys who have nailed an interview-we're that one step closer to getting an offer! eeeek! sooo nervous.
Reply 268
Does anyone know around what time they hand out offers/rejections?
Original post by preraphaelite
i'm going to be unable to travel there for the interview... does that mean my chances of admission are like...zero?

can somebody please tell me what happens if you can't interview? i really want to tour hull/york when i visit this week if there's a possibility of my admission but my schedule is already very tight...
Reply 270
Original post by preraphaelite
can somebody please tell me what happens if you can't interview? i really want to tour hull/york when i visit this week if there's a possibility of my admission but my schedule is already very tight...

Well, i think if you really can't then you won't be able to get an offer from them. An interview is always needed for an offer unless u reschedule to another date. The admissions are pre accommodating.
Suit for me - certainly not going to risk anything less than a suit, shirt and tie.
Anyone know how the whole application is scored, can you give me a breakdown for each individual section(personal statement, ukcat, interview etc)
50 - Personal Statement
10 - UKCAT
---------------------------------
60 - (Last year, I believe 32/60 was needed for an interview)

then add on
50 - Interview
--------------------------------
110 Total
Original post by islanders
50 - Personal Statement
10 - UKCAT
---------------------------------
60 - (Last year, I believe 32/60 was needed for an interview)

then add on
50 - Interview
--------------------------------
110 Total

Is the first 50 just personal statement? Or does it also include academics? From what I remember from the open day they said it was 50 for the UCAS form so that would include academics I suppose...
Original post by platty1907
Is the first 50 just personal statement? Or does it also include academics? From what I remember from the open day they said it was 50 for the UCAS form so that would include academics I suppose...

If you meet the minimum academics then they access your PS/reference out of 50.
If you don't then they reject you.

You aren't scored on your academics, you just need to reach the minimum! :smile:
How many points were required last year for an offer?
Also, do you ever find out what you were scored?
Original post by questionandanswer
How many points were required last year for an offer?
Also, do you ever find out what you were scored?

If you go back through the thread it's already been mentioned. I believe, according to an applicant, you needed an overall of 71.5 points out of the 110 to get an offer. I am assuming if you get rejected post interview and ask for feedback they would tell you what your score was and what was needed for an offer :smile:
Having read through their interview structure , it seems like they don't actually ask anything about your personal statement, and that the whole interview is based on their 8 predefined questions. Is this true?
In which case it would be 8 questions that could potentially change your life, sounds almost like a gameshow :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending